Darrington Trail

Darrington Trail is a 15.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2 minutes ago

This is not an easy trail. Bring 4 quarts of water during the warm months.

Easy but nice

Great hike along the river with intermittent river access. Great for dogs especially if they can be off leash or like to swim. Very rocky in places with modest elevation changes. Not many people out on a cool July 4 morning except several mountain bikers.

Good hike, but i would late the second half as moderate. especially in 88 degree weather. Strongly recommend this as an early morning hike and bring plenty of water. trail was rocky, so a good pair of hiking boots or trail running shoes are recommend. $10 Parking was limited, and we lucky to get the last spot.

I loved it.. the water at the bridge is so beautiful..

We picked this one because it’s one of the only trails I could find that allows for dogs to be off leash. A good walk- one day we’ll do the whole thing. $10 cash to park. Rocky and harder than easy in the beginning - meaning your parents may not be able to do it. Definitely coming again with friends and dogs.

Wife and I went for a little hike to take some photographs. Nice little area with a lot of different flowers and butterflies. Good numbers of hikers, runners, and bikers, but everyone was very pleasant and the bikers were always very polite about giving us a heads up.

Bring sunscreen. Very sunny hike with not much shade at the beginning. My family and I walked for about a mile and half. Relatively easy. Fairly rocky. The view of the American river turning into the lake was quite pretty. The path is narrow, not wide enough for people to walk side by side. But we enjoyed our time overall!

very rocky. otherwise perfect

Liked this hike. Did it with Travis. Skinny trail and lots of bikers but relatively flat and good views of the lake. In the sun.

Awesome hike and beautiful lots of bikers but very friendly

Beautiful Trail but can be a bit sketchy. Sharing the trail with bikes is difficult when you have dogs with you.

This was an easy hiking trail with a nice view of the river. It was very easy to find, and we bumped into a few bikers and joggers, but no hikers. We went in the afternoon, so it was a little too late to walk the entire trail, but our pup was able to be off-leash and she loved it. The sunset view on the way back was really nice overlooking the river. There were other sprawling areas of land with tons of geese hanging around. Other than that, it wasn't too scenic. We will be returning for sure, as the hubby wants to reach the bottom!

It surprises me that very few of the tracks posted don't complete full trail.
Once you hit the dirt road the end is only .4 miles further, down hill to the edge of the water.
I can see this trail getting very hot during the summer months. If you hike it Start early!
Lots of bikes on the trail and very few hikers.
Not much to take pictures of.

Not really too much to see other than Salmon Falls Bridge. You walk on a really narrow trail which you have to share with bicyclists and can be sketchy. Also a really small sketchy parking lot.

I saw lots of wild life along the trail: deers , ducks , lizzards , toads, Tarantulas spiders.
The taril is mostly for bikers , so you need to pay attention as they come.
You have to pay 10$ for the parking at the trailhead , there's a box with evnelopes for that purpose at the trailhead.
Beyond the great views of the water along the trail , there isnt much to see.

The trail goes on, beyond the point I stopped. I went back after 3 miles, because I started late and it was getting dark

Enjoyed this trail. Looking forward to going back in Spring when everything is in bloom and hopefully the water in the creeks are flowing. A lot of mountain bikers with a pretty narrow trail so just be cautious! :)

Thursday, June 08, 2017

baller mtn bike trail, dont fall of a cliff or your a gonner though

Saturday, June 03, 2017

This is NOT safe for dogs or kids. The trail is no more than 1 1/2 ft wide. Shear cliff on one side and very little shade. I'm sure the view was nice but my attention was on my dogs. Sometimes slippery. And it runs about 5* hotter than outside temp. Very hot.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Trail is dog friendly. Good for hiking because it's rocky and along a ridge above the American River. Tons of wildflowers. Well maintained. PO along the sides but none on the trail.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Rocky single track makes for rough riding but good hiking.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Way too many exposed rocks with combination of
narrow trail made for a treacherous "ride." Couldn't get any momentum or real exercise. Biking partner crashed off her bike. See photo. Much better trail for hiking or a jog.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Trail does not even go anywhere it just ends on the side of a hill. Bugs everywhere throughout and more ticks than I could count. Will never be doing this again and would not recommend to anyone.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

lots of poison oak in places this year. I run this trail often. great in Spring. Hot and dry in the Summer.

Monday, April 10, 2017

The water is flowing, but it's all easily crossable with a little rock hopping. The trail is in full bloom for the spring and gets narrow at times, but was a great little day hike.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Fairly flat single track. There are about 4 water crossings. Usually u can jump the rocks to cross but if it was a rainy week, you won't be able to cross. A couple weeks ago I got 4miles and couldn't cross. Also, the trail stays pretty soggy in the low areas.

Monday, March 06, 2017

The first part of the trail goes close by the American river and gives you a great view, as you go farther it gets into wide landmasses, natural creeks of water, provides a great shade and makes the hike really enjoyable. Make sure you get the parking at right place, it costed us a $71 parking ticket for this hike!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Great views! Wonderful trail. Sixteen miles round trip...

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Amazing mountain bike trail

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Good for my 6 year old. I don't think most kids under 6 would enjoy it. We had to pay $10 to park in the empty lot (it was lightly raining). My daughter and I loved the hike but we only went in 2 miles before turning back. We enjoyed a snack by one of the many beautiful streams that run into the river. There was new poison oak plants popping up. I was surprised that there was no one on the trail. My daughter was very excited about the variety of scat on the path. Overall it was great.