Dante's View Trail

Dante's View Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shoshone, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from October until June.

End of the road rocky half-mile hike to sweeping views at Dante's View. The most breathtaking viewpoint in park, mountain-top overlook is 5000 ft above the inferno of Death Valley. From the parking lot, hike along the ridge either direction. Hike a half mile to the right from parking lot to first summit (Dante's View 5475 ft.) for spectacular vistas and cool place to escape summer heat. You can keep going to Mt. Perry which is 4 miles one way, but be careful of the heat.

Good trail, nice views, lots of people

Fantastic views! It's about 5,000 feet up, and while the valley was 72 degrees, Dante's View was only 42. So bring jackets!

Amazing views. Easy walk.

Amazing views! Don't really need to hike much, it's all there at the parking lot

Friday, May 06, 2016

Great views green on the right & salt flats to your left as you continue on the trail past the peak. But the group of 7 I was with really want to question who labelled this as easy, because the way back from continuing on the 3.5 mile one-way kicked our butts with all the uphill climb at that elevation. Yes there is a trail & no scrambling, but we hike often & longer distances but that was not "easy". My legs & butt felt it the next day and that has not happened to me in a LONG time. My lungs were feeling it while on the uphill too.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Most excellent views as far as the eye can see. There are trails to hike that one could continue both downhill and uphill from the parking lot. I went downhill (south) for a mile, then returned to start. While not difficult, it Made me realize my sea level lungs need more conditioning for mile high altitude. Day was overcast and temperature about 55F.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Who doesn't want to see that view of Mos Eisley? Seriously it is great views of the valley and surrounding mountains.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Went here on the way out of the valley and it was amazing. Caught the sunset and recommend it highly. There are a couple short trails leading off of the parking lot that are easy and provide incredible views.

Friday, February 26, 2016

scenic driving
Monday, January 25, 2016

Wow! This is must for any visit to Death Valley, even if you drive all that way to just stay for five minutes. I opine the views are just as breathtaking as those of Glacier Point in Yosemite.

There are short trails to either side of the lot, but I'm not sure they provide much better views than are available by circling the lot on foot.

40 mpg (65kph) gusts and low temps kept me off the ridges. Windproof (and warm) clothing advised.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Monday, November 30, 2015

Awesome view of the Badwater Salt basin - took Rebecca Vitsumun's recommendations and found it to surpass all expectations - a must day trip from Las Vegas

Friday, May 08, 2015

Such an amazing view! The best part is that you can drive all the way up. It is close to 6,000 feet from the top down to Bad Water. If I went back down to Death Valley, this is the first place I would go. It is especially nice when the sun is setting.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Um whoops. We went the wrong direction and blew our shot at going the correct direction because I was traveling with my 3 year old who was tired once we got back to the starting spot when I realized what happened. When I looked to see where the trail was, I looked for the people instead of where the highest point was and everyone was walking down the trail to the left instead of up the trail to the right. UGH. Total waste of a drive and it will be years before we go again.

Still. Awesome and gorgeous view anyway, even if we didn't get to the peak. *cry*