Dana Hills Loop Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Juan Capistrano, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 757 feet Route Type: Loop

Be careful with rattlesnakes. We saw one on the trail and heard a lot of them off the main trail.

Mon Jan 07 2019

The hike is great when you're on the trail. There's an awkward part in the middle where you're walking through a residential area, paralleling a golf course, on regular sidewalk, with cars driving by. I probably won't do this loop again because of that. Tons of other trails in the same area, so find a way to bypass the streets and stay on the trails.

Wed Apr 18 2018

Awesome when you’re up in the mountains, but an awkward to and from walk.

Wed Jan 31 2018

Easy warm up start, steep incline choices, beautiful views.

Mon Jun 05 2017

It was nice but I prefer my views to not be primarily neighborhoods. There's a nice ocean view at the top of Patriots trail where there's a flagpole and a mailbox with a notebook you can sign so that was fun. But a little too suburban for me. Also, the map did NOT take us to the trailhead. Instead it took us to a blocked off fenced area that had no access. Instead we had to continue on El Novio (I think that's the name) and then turned left on via cerre rebal and found our way to the trail listed.

Sun Apr 02 2017

Gorgeous setting, smooth paths, great hills! Wildflowers in spring with sprawling ocean views. Really perfect!

Sat Apr 01 2017

Super fun! Did a few of the lookout points, ending with the 2nd of the Patriot Trail loops and the Flagpole point.

Thu Mar 02 2017

Beautiful trail! Our group made it to the flag pole on the Patriot Trail, turned around and backtracked so well could stay in the hills instead of walking through the neighborhoods. Took 2 hours. 6 miles

Wed May 18 2016

I could not find the Patriot Trail. Instead took the Cerro Rebal Trail to Via Cerro Rebal and back to LA Novia Ave. But this trail is beautiful and presents itself with some awesome ocean views.

Sun Apr 12 2015

I'm always confused that I can't find "Patriot Trail" anywhere - so I hope this is it. I *love* this hike. It's a butt-kicker (at least for me), but 360 views at the top. It was my first, and you know what they say - you always remember your first. :) Zero shade here, so a morning or early evening is good. Bring water! Most activity levels should be okay - kids and dogs are okay too. We brought our golden and our 3 and 9 year olds. Great hike!

Thu Apr 09 2015

Great workout. Easy, wide, clear trail. 400+ft elevation gain if you go from La Novia up to the flag. Nice coastal breezes, but no shade. Moderate parking; not recommended in wet weather for anything other than 4x4 high clearance unless you park on the blacktop. Watch for Snattlerakes in warmer weather.

Thu Aug 26 2010

quick solid loop...i started at about 7 pm and took about 40 minutes to do the loop. little bit of an incline the first half of the loop but coming down was fun. Sunset was awesome.

recorded Recording - Jan 12, 5:14 PM