Dagger Flat Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sylmar, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 967 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trip starts on Little Tujunga Road, follows a decent fire road for 0.4 mile then veers left onto an abandoned road that is partially overgrown but still passable without bushwhacking. The road descends to meet Pacoima Canyon at 1.6 miles. Turn right and walk up the creekbed to reach Dutch Louie's tunnel at 2.4 miles (GPS N34 21.397 W118 21.007). There is no trail left here after the 2016 Sand Fire and you'll have to hop over the creek many times and pick your way around brush, but you'll never need to crawl through bushes. If you feel like it, you can continue up the creek another mile to Dagger Flat, where legend says a miner was murdered. There's nothing much to see here now. Topo maps show a Dagger Flat Trail climbing up to Santa Clara Divide Road from a point between the tunnel and Dagger Flat, but it was faint before the fire and completely gone now. If you have a good imagination, you could conjure vision of the gold rush here in Pacoima Canyon. This trail is in the 9th edition of John Robinson's Trails of the Angeles, printed before the fire. After the fire, it's no longer a particularly appealing hike.

not a lot of shade on this Trail it actually goes in two different directions some pretty nice wildflowers though but bring plenty of water and no traffic at all on the trail

Sat Mar 30 2019

Mon Feb 18 2019

Hiked this today with my dog. Parking was easy for a Monday but I can see where it gets crowded since the small area off the road feeds two trail heads. Per the other reviews, the trail becomes very overgrown once you reach the riverbed. Recommend wearing pants. Due to the recent rain, the stream was very full and flowing swiftly. I couldn't make out a trail once we got close to the bottom so we stopped once we got to the water. I tried to find a place to cross to explore the other side but didn't see a trail and the water was a bit high. There was a great waterfall on the other side I was hoping to hike to. Views were nice, but not my favorite trail. Be careful with some washout areas. If you go soon there are several waterfalls in the surrounding views. Ended up also hiking the trail across the street, Kagel Mountain, and the views were spectacular! Also, for those with dog, LOTS of broken glass everywhere!

Mon Dec 31 2018

The drive there was a little scary, lots of twists and turns. The trail just pops right out on the side (slim parking) you’ll know the trail head when you see the flying saucer looking graffitied water tower. Beautiful and peaceful hike, not a soul around. There are still a lot of burn areas and rock falls.

Wed Nov 28 2018

I second everything the review before mine says! It is a very spooky trail. The trail starts out on the fire road, then gets progressively smaller until it’s barely visible . You have to bush wack through a lot of it because it’s very overgrown. The views are great but I was really disappointed when we lost the trail and had to turn around half way. We looked everywhere for the trail once we got onto the valley floor but it was so overgrown that we couldn’t get through. Definitely wear long pants! If this trail gets cleared I’ll definitely go back! I did love the adventure but didn’t love not being able to finish it.

Sat Nov 10 2018

This was a very spooky (but fun) hike, and not just because the flat got its name from a prospector who was stabbed to death. The day I went, there was haze from the Woolsey fire, the air was filled with acrid smoke, and there were still a lot of dead, charred trees from the Sand fire. I saw a dead rattlesnake, lots of trigger trash, tarantula wasps, and the rusted remains of a VW Beetle that seems to have plunged off a cliff many years ago. It was all very eerie. If you go (which I recommend!), be aware this is almost like two different hikes: the first, going down Pacoima Canyon, is on an abandoned fire road that steadily gets narrower; and the second, at the canyon bottom, requires a lot of bushwhacking on ill defined use trails. Though there are occassional cairns, I thought it was easier to follow the creek bed, which was covered in dead algae. Next time, I will definitely wear pants. (Not shorts, that is. :-) When you get to the flats, keep an eye out for the tunnel dug by prospector "Dutch Louie." Quite an adventure.

Thu Jul 05 2018

With an awful lot of bush whacking I made it to proapector Dutch Louie's tunnel. Everything is severly overgrown. Didnt go to Dagger flats. Just turned around at the tunnel

Fri May 11 2018

Area been closed since Sand Canyon fire, 2016. Area is now open, 28Apr18, but trail has many weeds and washouts. I've hiked down to creek but no further yet since reopened.

Sun Nov 06 2016

Cars cannot drive there along Big Tujunga due to the recent fire. the road is being repaired.

recorded Mine