Cucamonga Peak Via Icehouse Canyon and Chapman Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(66)
Cucamonga Wilderness

Cucamonga Peak Via Icehouse Canyon and Chapman Trail is a 13.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,333 feet Route Type: Loop

Located in the eastern front range of the San Gabriels, the peak offers unparalleled views of the Inland Empire. Take Icehouse Canyon to the Icehouse Saddle, and then follow Wilderness Crest Trail until you hit the peak. Icehouse Canyon Trail is a special place, especially with the water flowing. Use crampons (and caution) in the winter.

49 minutes ago

It exciting and hard, sunny and hot

icy

5/23/2020 Initially our plan was only to do ice house canyon trail, however once we reached the end of ice house canyon trail and saw that cucamonga peak was only 2.4 miles we decided to try it!!! Certain parts of the trail had snow, it was icy and slippery. On the way down the snow trail was icy & slippery. Although, I had hiking boots & trekking poles, it was still too slippery had to use left hand to grab on the snowy rocks while trying to maintain my right hand on both trekking poles to avoid slipping and falling... scary as the trail is on the edge of the mountain yikes!!!

Completed today 5/23z Parking and trails are open. Dropped my AirPods (purple case) running on the way back. If you find them, I’d appreciate if you let me know, I’ll give a reward. My number is 949-698-2410. Thank you!

icy

May 23, 2020. Backpacking day 1. Started up Ice House Canyon and hiked up Timber Mountain before heading to Cucamonga Peak to camp for the night.

Hiked on 5/21/20. I got there at 8 AM and both the parking lot and trail were open. There is still some snow along the trail and at the summit- I did fine with just trekking poles. The map that is linked with this hike has you go down a different way than you go up. Just be warned that some of that trail is very overgrown and in other places it’s less of a trail and more of a hillside. I think it was well worth the struggle for the views all the way down the canyon. Other than that one section the trail was in really good shape.

As other reviews stated, the trail is open, but the parking is closed. I was able to park on the side of the rode like most. the trail starts if pretty rocky, however is pretty much straight forward. Towards the peak there is still some snow and most people had poles, however it doable without them. There is ocasiomlly moments of shade, so it not completely exposed. It took me about 2.5 hours to get to the top and a little less than 2 to get back down. I would recommend bringing enough water and poles. Overall a great experience and rewarding trail.

Hiked on May 16, 2020. The parking lot is still closed. but the trail is open. we parked on the side of the road and headed out by 8 am. the hike to ice house canyon saddle is straight forward. the switchbacks gain altitude very progressively. once you get to there take a rest. the hike to Cucamonga saddle is easy. not much elevation gain. but once you get to Cucamonga saddle its one mile to the summit. this one mile will test your will. your endurance and your ability to trek through snow. there's still lots of snow up there and I would highly recommend some good sturdy pole. this hike is amazing. definitely doing it again

We got to the parking lot this morning at 5:10 am. It was still closed off and there was caution tape on the trails to say “closed”. It was supposed to be open today so we parked on the street and walked the .2 to the trailhead. Used headlamps for a little bit until the sun came up. Absolutely beautiful hike next to the creek. It was great because there were so many elements... crossed over water, up rocks, and through snow. You will hit snow after icehouse and when you get almost to the top. We did not need crampons or micro spikes. We followed in the steps of the people before us and were fine. On the way down we took the trail to the right (different than the one on the way up) and it was a little overgrown but still pretty. Make sure you take enough water! It’s a long hike... super fun and worth it. Took us about 6 hours. Would have been faster if there wasn’t any snow.

Any word of the The trail icehouse is open again?

We hiked towards Cucamonga Peak via the Chapman trail, and it was gorgeous. We were not able to complete the loop to come back on Icehouse Canyon Trail due to snow. We made it so close to the end, but with two kids, and only trekking poles, no crampons, it didn't seem safe to continue. It was absolutely gorgeous, though, and we're looking forward to completing the loop soon. (Hiked on March 7, 2020)

icy

01-04-2020:turned around about 0.25 miles after the second saddle. The shaded side of the peak is mostly ice with very little snow. My crampons had a hard time keeping a hold due to the angle of incline and it being mostly ice with very little virgin snow. The sunny side of the mountain has deep soft snow that is about waist deep (snow shoes will help). started at 6 am, conditions to the first saddle are good if you get there before the sun starts to melt some of the snow. The trail is visible up to the first saddle and can be done with micro spikes. The snow gets much more fresh after the first saddle and you will need crampons at the very least. Snow shoes are highly recommended as you will sink about knee deep every third step with crampons. Good luck!

Intense hike, but well worth it at the top to see the view and get a good workout in while taking in the scenery! Watch my video experience to help guide you:) https://youtu.be/Hvsm2uQ5seQ