Windy Gap Trail

Windy Gap Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Azusa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The higher you get the more you are exposed to the sun. Some tree cover in the beginning and at the top. Mostly rocky terrain. A little windy on top.

Very nice trail run to Mt. Islip ascending Big Cienega and descending Windy Gap. The gradient is not too steep, usually not too rocky, and definitely not crowded on a weekday. Started at 830 am and it was about 20 degrees cooler than than the hot temperatures down in Azusa and the San Gabriel Valley. GPS measured the full loop just short of 8 miles, including the side trip to the summit of Mt. Islip. I ascended in 45:59 from Windy Gap Trailhead at Crystal Lake to Mt. Islip, a record according to Strava.com (although I did it in 43:08 many years ago in the pre-Strava era). Other trail runners typically take over an hour for the ascent even without walking at all. Saw 2 deer on the descent, and only one hiker. The hiker had 2 unleashed dogs and one immediately lunged at me when I approached; it bit my leg (calf) and bloodied it up! PLEASE, dogs should be on a leash as the trailhead sign says.

Surprisingly rewarding. Saw a small bear on the road, people were talking selfies. The bear was dark brown with a lighter brown snout. I got mountain scared that the mom would show up. I went around the bear, which jumped a rail into the forest. The hike was choice, I did it clockwise, but the earlier hikers got shade doing it regular. Yes, very little shade, and in July you get those smoggy layered views of the basin. I will definitely do this again, super mellow yet as challenging as you can handle.

Bunch of bugs , but it was a great hike!

It was a great hike... I always love going to the Crystal Lake Cafe when I am done with a hike in that area. Be warned that there were a TON of fallen rocks on the trail. I really regretted wearing my running shoes and not my hiking boots. I could feel every rock and I slipped a few times, so just come prepared. Also, go early on hot days... a lot of the trail is not shaded. Gorgeous views from the top. Also, we got caught in a ladybug swarm, which was kind of awesome.

Loved every twist, turned and elevation. The view is amazing. It was amazing getting back and look up on how high we went. What a day to spend Mothers Day.

If you're looking for up, up and up this is a good place to start. This is the other way to get to Little Jimmy campground and we did it at night. When we came back through after camping we saw beautiful views and some fire ravaged areas. Many pairs of eyes looking at us from the dark and some weren't scared of us (don't know what was watching us)!!! Also saw deer.