Crystal Cove Perimeter Loop is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Laguna Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

stroller friendly

beach

partially paved

This is a serious hike with some good elevation gain that follows the perimeter of the park and provides beautiful views over the Pacific and east toward Santiago and Modjeska Peaks. This "grand tour" of Crystal Cove backcountry passes all three backcountry campgrounds and takes you up and down ridges and valleys. It's $15 to park.

Great trail with magnificent ocean view but there is no shade at all. There is $15 parking fee when you park Moro Canyon Trail as All Trail shows.
Drive to Crystal Cove Trail to avoid paying fee. It’s free there.

Good hiking trail for a moderate workout. I was expecting nicer views but not bad.

Love this trail- great hills for the hikers and plenty of running trails for the runners.

Great work out with some challenging inclines. Watch out for mountain bikers on the narrow fence line trail portion of the hike. Bring a hat and plenty of water.

I saw a coyote pup and a rabbit while hiking on the trail. Beautiful views with well maintained dirt roads. Up and down steep hills all along the way. Bring plenty of water - a great trail for running!

Great hiking trail with multiple hills and great views of the Pacific Ocean. This is our go-to hike near our home in OC.

Beautiful and challenging

Is a great work out ! No shades but nice view! ! Highly recommend

Decent hike around Crystal Cove Park - completely unshaded. A nice way to end the hike is to go to Laguna Beach :) There are many rolling hills along the way for a good workout.

I finished this in under 3 hours.

Great conditioning hike going up the BFI with amazing view of Newport Coast and PCH. For an extra challenge, after BFI, go down East Cross Over then up Poles :))

A great workout for hiking

This trail is not that beautiful. I mean...if it’s all you have then fine. But there is no greenery, telephone poles along the route and yes the coast is nice but it’s obstructed by peoples houses!! If you want a long hike to do and not drive far, this is a good choice. But it’s not as beautiful as it’s made out to be. I parked near the baseball field to avoid the $15 parking fee....which also is absolutely ridiculous.

This hike was fun and challenging if you’re a newbie like me! The route we took did have a lot of hikes up hills and my legs were jelly by the time we were done. The scenery, serenity and confidence boosting was all worth it! Absolutely gorgeous to find this gem in OC! Well worth it, don’t bring children on the long hikes and there are in fact rattlesnakes!

at first the incline is intense but over all its a good easy trail. it's easy just a long trail.

A great hike! At the beginning it felt crowded but it got better the deeper you went into the park. Not as many flowers as you’d like due to dryness. I didn’t love all the mountain bikers on some trails. Not all of them were careful to warn you about them flying around the corner

Hiked from Ridge Park Trailhead to avoid paying $15 parking fee at Crystal Cove Visitor's Center parking lot. I completed the loop in clockwise direction and added in approximately 3 mile out and back hike on the beach via the underground tunnel under PCH. I had to take off my boots to wade through the tunnel which had 12"-18" of water in the tunnel. Did not see many wildflowers today. It is really starting to look dried out since there was so little rain this winter. An enjoyable hike. Not a lot of people or bikes on the trail but it was a weekday.

Intense but super fun! Best one in OC so far.

Man was this a work out. We chose to counter-clockwise and ascend the BFI. That was a challenge, but once we got past that it was a relatively moderate hike.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get much rain this winter, so it was a little on the dry side, but the wild flowers were blooming, and the rest of the scenery was still nice (can’t beat those views of the coast).

We did encounter a rattlesnake on fence-line trail, but it never got close enough to be a threat.

Would definitely do again, preferably after it rains

great hike right next the coast.

This was a great hike today especially after the rain.. If your looking to get a great workout in with some strenuous hills and open trails then this is the one to do. I actually used Strava to range the hike and it came out to to just over 9.5 miles. If you do the whole loop like I did then you will be very satisfied with it especially when the day is nice and it makes for great pictures when your along the PCH ridges.. El Moro Loop has some great views that overlook the ocean and you get some fresh air for sure.. The trail was very quite and peaceful, so if your looking to get away and decompress then this would be ideal. I will definitely do this trail again and maybe get a trail run the next time around!

So beautiful! Surprisingly steep areas, it takes a little practice not getting deviated on the paths. The map feature is priceless!

Great trail! It was a good cool day. Make sure you have plenty of water and some light snacks if you do the whole loop

Views were gorgeous on this trail offering a sense of escape from the city life. Aside from this trail being a longer trail, I’m not sure how it’s ranked as hard. Trail was well paved and flat for the most part. Would definitely go back and run the loop next time.

We had a great day with not a cloud in the sky to hike the perimeter loop. It wasn’t too strenuous. Great views out to Catalina once got to higher altitude. Trail is extremely well marked. Lots of mountain bikers and a few runners on the trail.

Parking at the coastal peak park is free...(Ridge Park road )

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Be sure to take rattlesnake trail.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

I have done this look a couple of times. I mainly went with full gear to train for the Trans Catalina trail. Of the three campgrounds, I will only stay at one, the Lower Morro. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it is super busy. There are constant people and bikes; when I hike, I prefer a little more quiet. The location is beautiful though.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

This was definitely a good trail to experience. The level of difficulty should not be underestimated, however, I feel the challenge aspect depends on which trail you plan on hiking. They offer a map with the level of difficulty for the trail based on how long of a hike you plan on attempting. My friends and I chose the most difficult one and it was definitely 10 miles. We enjoyed the different change of scenery throughout the hike and being close to the beach kept a nice breeze on us for the day. It's a great trail!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Finished this one earlier today. I didn't have time to do the whole perimeter but there are several options to shorten the hike if necessary. It was hot and there's really no shade so be prepared for that. Also be prepared for quick steep climbs followed by long flat stretches. I recommend finishing the hike with a walk along the beach... Especially on a hot day. I wish I brought my bathing suit and a towel because the water looked very welcoming after sweating all day.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Note to self: Come earlier, before the heat. Bring more water, electrolytes. If you are not an avid hiker in moderate shape plan on spending over 3 hours on this trail. (9.3 miles). It's also a really fun way to get in shape while enjoying the outdoors. Once you're down the hill consider heading over to the beach since you're right across the street. Lastly, for me it was a challenging trail which I really enjoyed and I'm looking forward to returning soon. Happy Hiking!