Crystal Cove Perimeter Loop

Crystal Cove Perimeter Loop is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Laguna Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

This is a serious hike with some good elevation gain that follows the perimeter of the park and provides beautiful views over the Pacific and east toward Santiago and Modjeska Peaks. This "grand tour" of Crystal Cove backcountry passes all three backcountry campgrounds and takes you up and down ridges and valleys. It's $15 to park.

Parking at the coastal peak park is free...(Ridge Park road )

Be sure to take rattlesnake trail.

I have done this look a couple of times. I mainly went with full gear to train for the Trans Catalina trail. Of the three campgrounds, I will only stay at one, the Lower Morro. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it is super busy. There are constant people and bikes; when I hike, I prefer a little more quiet. The location is beautiful though.

This was definitely a good trail to experience. The level of difficulty should not be underestimated, however, I feel the challenge aspect depends on which trail you plan on hiking. They offer a map with the level of difficulty for the trail based on how long of a hike you plan on attempting. My friends and I chose the most difficult one and it was definitely 10 miles. We enjoyed the different change of scenery throughout the hike and being close to the beach kept a nice breeze on us for the day. It's a great trail!

Finished this one earlier today. I didn't have time to do the whole perimeter but there are several options to shorten the hike if necessary. It was hot and there's really no shade so be prepared for that. Also be prepared for quick steep climbs followed by long flat stretches. I recommend finishing the hike with a walk along the beach... Especially on a hot day. I wish I brought my bathing suit and a towel because the water looked very welcoming after sweating all day.

Note to self: Come earlier, before the heat. Bring more water, electrolytes. If you are not an avid hiker in moderate shape plan on spending over 3 hours on this trail. (9.3 miles). It's also a really fun way to get in shape while enjoying the outdoors. Once you're down the hill consider heading over to the beach since you're right across the street. Lastly, for me it was a challenging trail which I really enjoyed and I'm looking forward to returning soon. Happy Hiking!

Beautiful place, perfect for enjoying glorious sunsets.

one of my favorites. so easy, do this then go to the beach, then Afters for ice cream. it'll be the best day.

This hike is one of the most difficult in all of the state park. I recommend starting early in the morning to get a head start. It has some of the best views of the SoCal coastline and of the canyon. There are some strenuous up hills in this hike so I do not recommend this hike if it is your first time at crystal cove or if your not an active backpacker.

One of thinnest trails I've been on. Very rewarding but also very challenging parts.

Great

awesome and hard

a good hike for conditioning. has some views over looking the shore through out.

Crystal Cove perimeter loop is a great, moderate to difficult hike in the beautiful Crystal Cove State Park. The trail is well marked and there are quite a few people hiking and biking here, especially on weekends. On a clear day, you'll be rewarded with beautiful view of the ocean. Be careful of mountain bikers going down. Beware of snakes. I saw a little one crossing the trail.

great hike and very well trailed. there are places that lead to other trails but there are signs. We did almost 11 miles
beautiful views of the oceon and Catalina island. very steep in some areas

Great inclines. Beautiful views as you get close to ocean. Restrooms along the way and very clean. Parts of it go flat for a long time. Next time I want to try one of the more challenging trails.

A good hike if your looking for hills

Great hike if you're practicing with long distances!

Gorgeous trail! The weather was breezy, around 67 degrees. I have an off tan now but definitely worth the run. Locals were very friendly! I will be back soon

It can sometimes be confusing to keep track of which trail you're on (even tho there are many maps) as there are a lot of trail forks and different route options. starts out with a big incline and then plateaus for a long time before steep decline. Decent bathroom available at info center. $15 parking fee.
We enjoyed the trail in early April and the wild mustard was incredible. As tall as mature corn stalks! Oh. This trail should NOT be rated "difficult."