Crystal Cove Perimeter Loop

Crystal Cove Perimeter Loop is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Laguna Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

This is a serious hike with some good elevation gain that follows the perimeter of the park and provides beautiful views over the Pacific and east toward Santiago and Modjeska Peaks. This "grand tour" of Crystal Cove backcountry passes all three backcountry campgrounds and takes you up and down ridges and valleys. It's $15 to park.

I have done this look a couple of times. I mainly went with full gear to train for the Trans Catalina trail. Of the three campgrounds, I will only stay at one, the Lower Morro. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it is super busy. There are constant people and bikes; when I hike, I prefer a little more quiet. The location is beautiful though.

This was definitely a good trail to experience. The level of difficulty should not be underestimated, however, I feel the challenge aspect depends on which trail you plan on hiking. They offer a map with the level of difficulty for the trail based on how long of a hike you plan on attempting. My friends and I chose the most difficult one and it was definitely 10 miles. We enjoyed the different change of scenery throughout the hike and being close to the beach kept a nice breeze on us for the day. It's a great trail!

Finished this one earlier today. I didn't have time to do the whole perimeter but there are several options to shorten the hike if necessary. It was hot and there's really no shade so be prepared for that. Also be prepared for quick steep climbs followed by long flat stretches. I recommend finishing the hike with a walk along the beach... Especially on a hot day. I wish I brought my bathing suit and a towel because the water looked very welcoming after sweating all day.

Note to self: Come earlier, before the heat. Bring more water, electrolytes. If you are not an avid hiker in moderate shape plan on spending over 3 hours on this trail. (9.3 miles). It's also a really fun way to get in shape while enjoying the outdoors. Once you're down the hill consider heading over to the beach since you're right across the street. Lastly, for me it was a challenging trail which I really enjoyed and I'm looking forward to returning soon. Happy Hiking!