Cross Marin Trail to Kent Lake

MODERATE 11 reviews

Cross Marin Trail to Kent Lake is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.8 miles
1289 feet
Out & Back

dogs on leash

wheelchair friendly



mountain biking

nature trips

road biking

trail running




no dogs

The paved Cross Marin Trail bike path runs about three miles through the park, beginning near the entrance of the park. The trail is nearly level and follows the old Northern Pacific Coast Railroad right-of-way through Samuel P. Taylor and into the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

2 months ago

The trail starts out running through a heavily forested area of redwoods and douglas fir trees.. Very scenic with beautiful, towering trees. First 80% of the trail is easy with very moderate to level elevation. The remaining 20% of the trail travels beyond the Kent Lake dam with steep terrain both out and back. Somewhat disappointing that this part of the hike has only minor views of Kent Lake despite running along side of it. Access to the lake is limited due to very steep terrain. The latter 20% of the trail could be eliminated and would result in an easy 6 mile, scenic, out-back hike.

7 months ago

Just plain beautiful biking through the redwoods.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Easy and very picturesque.

Friday, January 30, 2015

We just did the Cross Marin trail both directions leaving from Camp Taylor. It was beautiful! if you go west on the trail it will lead you to Jewell Trail which takes you up and to the top of a ridge where you can see Tomales Bay.

road biking
Sunday, June 30, 2013

Beautiful trail. My husband and I took our bikes and enjoyed a lovely time together. The birds were singing to us as we rode easily along. It was the perfect trail for a short and sweet afternoon ride. It is great for beginners and those looking for a strolling pace.

trail running
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I came across the trail when camping at Samuel P. Taylor State Park in September 2011. This relaxing trail was paved, shaded by stunning redwood groves, and parallel by a beautiful creek. Gorgeous sceneries and invigorating atmosphere, it is a great trail for jogging.

8 days ago

30 days ago

5 months ago

7 months ago

8 months ago