Crane Canyon to Garapito Canyon Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(109)
Topanga State Park

Crane Canyon to Garapito Canyon Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,929 feet Route Type: Loop

city walk

This is a great hot weather hike as it takes you through two canyons where the air is cooler than the ridges. Crane Canyon (unnamed on map) is very much off the beaten path, depositing you into an offbeat Topanga neighborhood where you'll see plenty of peacocks and other curiosities. After 15-20 minutes, you'll ascend back in the park with incredible 360º panoramas atop rock/boulder formations. And then back down into the shady Garapito Canyon Trail for an 8.5 mile adventure with lots of climbing and plenty of exercise.

Garapito Canyon leg was spectacular - five stars. Second half was just average, dusty and no shade. Goes through a neighborhood in Topanga - kind of awkward. Yedvart canyon is nice but unremarkable.

We elected to do this one clockwise, and the first 5 miles into the canyon were awesome. Amazing flowers, interesting rocks, great views and some shade. The second half was weird going thru a neighborhood of Topanga followed by a hot uphill hike with no shade.

If you happen to see a Pistil brand (women's) cap-hat on the trail that is knitted blue and red colors, I'd love to have it back and maybe you can post here and leave it at the trail head at the top of Reseda. I lost it on the loop back towards night time, and probably where the trail gets narrower with greenery - probably not that helpful but... Lost on Saturday, March 21, 2020. Thank you! or can email we did it all (at) yahoo (com) - no spaces in email of course. The trail rocked in term of my review. Highly recommend.

Didn’t find it to be buggy but def overgrown. Solid hike.

I went around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday and I was basically the only person on the trail which was nice (I only saw people at the entrance and exit but not anywhere else). I went counterclockwise as suggested for a better workout and whew! My legs are done for the day! I enjoyed it though. I just finished at 3:04 p.m. and before then there was plenty of shade on the southern portion of the trail which was nice.

Beautiful hike with great views. Go in counterclockwise Didn’t see a lot of people whic was nice trail splits sometime were difficult to find so keep your map handy. Fun up and down, steady incline and decline w- legs should feel pumped after this one!

In terms of length and elevation gain this is moderate to strenuous. The long stretches of completely exposed trail with no shade, hostile insects (flies, fire ants, and I got stung by yellow jackets which chased me down a hill), and lack of places to stop and rest (the trail is narrow and in many spots overgrown) push this hike into the “difficult” category. We only saw two other hikers the whole time we were there. Pay close attention to the map as the trail splits many times and directions aren’t always clearly marked. There isn’t much of a view but you do pass some interesting spots: an old crashed car, a small rural community, and a dry creek bed with a rope swing and huge oak tree which is a quaint place to stop and catch your breath. As mentioned in the reviews there is a water fountain by the angel statue when you pass through the town where you can refill your water, and a free mini library. Take a book with you if you want to trade for the ones there.

ok so glad it wasn't very hot today. some sections are very exposed. a lot is shaded. glad I wore pants. bring plenty of water. there is a fountain near the mini library.

I started this hike at about 3:00 PM and it was very hot. There wasn't much shade and had to turn back when my girlfriend couldn't stand the heat. Got about a quarter the way and then turned back. There's a photo enforced stop sign in the parking lot, why ? There's hardly a reason for it except for getting screwed out of your hard earned money.

Sun May 12 2019

Wed May 01 2019

Liked hike a lot. Unusual. You go down into the Canyon twice and then climb out. I would rate it as moderate not hard. I am of the view that the brief walk through the residential area was interesting.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Good hike. I chose to wear pants instead of shorts because of the weather. Definitely a good call considering the overgrown trails.

Sun Apr 14 2019

By far the best trail I have taken from top of reseda. Lots of elevation and takes you through a small residential area before connecting you back to the dirt trail. The trail is not heavily trafficked at all.