Craigs Creek Trail

Craigs Creek Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

2093 feet

This trail follows south fork of the Smith a few hundred feet above the river along the slope of the canyon. Highlights include diverse plant life, occasional views of the river and the verdant green slopes of the canyon. I also heard shooting and I think there's a shooting range on the other side of the river. The poison oak is present along the whole trail but gets much worse the last half mile stretch before the river. I took my dog on this trail since I didn't see any postings saying otherwise. It's a good hike for dogs since there don't seem to be too many in the area. I did this hike on a beautiful September day. I was surprised with how much running water there was. Really nice to see.

Started this today... Pretty hot and a bit smoky. The farther I went the more I heard gunshots in front of me. Either it's deer season or there were poachers or maybe even target practicing.... but I've learned when I get that gut feeling to listen, so I reversed and didn't finish. Nice trail that I'll go back and finish another time. Plenty of poison oak on this one. Time for me to get out the Tecnu!