Cozy Dell Via Foothill Trail

moderate 185 reviews

Cozy Dell Via Foothill Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ojai, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,187 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Ojai: This trail takes off from Highway 33 (8 miles north of Ojai) near Friends Ranch Packing House.

Not my favorite trail. Right off the bat you go up. And up. And up. For experienced hikers it's not a problem, but I wouldn't go/bring somebody that is out of shape. I think moderate is appropriate, but the beginning is on the harder side of that. Eventually the trail evens out a bit and there are some spectacular views. The setting is beautiful and there's plenty of shade (with some sunny patches too). The reason I didn't care so much for it was due to the condition of the trail itself: it's in bad shape. Erosion has made rocks and roots into trip hazards, and the difficulty was a bit too much for my hiking companions. Oh and the tiny bugs were relentless. I accidentally squished one trying to get it out of my ear. so... yeah.

Completed this trail on Sunday - January 5, 2020. In short, this trail was easy and quite enjoyable. We took the extra uphill climb once we got to the top; and completed the entire loop + remaining trail after coming down that mini uphill. It's a good place to get some great exercise + sun in the winter - not really a unique Ojai'an getaway type of spot, but it's fun nonetheless. :- D

Excellent trail with many microclimates. Amazing views of the valley. We extended our trip to magic mountain road and then double back on the same trail making the whole trip approximately 6 miles. A perfect trip. Took us about three hours

This hike is great! I did the loop which has a bit of an incline. Also coming down is not the easiest. I also went after that week of rain!

It was a nice hike. The view was beautiful but it was very hot and not much shade. The downhill part of the hill was very steep and slippery. I would recommend going counter clockwise.

I saw what looked to be black bears in the area, but overall nice hike and scenery.

Nice elevation gains. They must have just trimmed back the overgrowth so the trail is nice and open now. Just park in the dirt across the 33 from the start of the trail

Steep long hike with bike but the ride backs amazing. Real technical and narrow just watch out for the poison oak and you’ll have a blast ripping through this trail.

I love this trail. When you get to the top it’s a great place to get grounded take off your shoes and bask in the sun❤️❤️. The whole hike is definitely worth it. We got lost on the fire road but found our way back hahaha.

Very overgrown with LOTS of poison oak, some parts of the trail were impassable with poison oak growing in the middle of trail. You could barely see the top loop because it was totally overgrown & the trail was very narrow. I started the top loop but turned back because I didn't want to continue bushwacking and surprise a snake. The view was amazing and there were very few people on the trail. I wouldn't reccomend this hike this time of year if you are sensitive to poison oak.

Nice trail which ascends to beautiful views; dog loved it. Very few people

Great view at the top. Little shade because of Thomas Fire two years ago. Foliage is coming back nicely. Look out for poison oak!

Lots of wildflowers!

lots of green and wildflowers. few rocks in the trail made coming down a little difficult. We had a light sprinkle on the top. It only lasted 5 minutes but that was enough to make the red clay very slippery there's lots of shade below oaks along the trail

Beautiful trail, unbelievable wildflower bloom. Two things bear repeating from previous comments. 1. If you skip the loop, you've missed the point. 2. Go up the steep side and down the shallow side, this may seem counter-intuitive but coming down that steep side would be virtually death defying. :) Views are fantastic, flowers, creek and lizards add to the experience!

Hike has amazing flowers right now! Easy uphill climb.

Enjoyable hike with nice vistas, beautiful flowers along the way. The start is mostly switchbacks on a week maintained trail, somewhat steep. The trail as listed here splits just before one mile in; it's easy to miss the turn to the left that goes up to the peaks of the hill. If you pass a lookout point to the right and start descending, you passed the turn (which is in the middle of a field. I'll post some pics of it). That said, that turn up towards the peaks is not as nice of a path – it's a sandy wash that's easy to slip in, especially downhill). The views are nicer from up top, naturally, so it's a trade-off. After that, we skipped the last part and looped back (so we did a 2.5 mile lollipop) and it took 2 hours with breaks. Few folks when we started at 9 am on a Sunday in April, and quite a few more as we were descending by the end.

Very lush and green right now, if you don’t mind navigating all the mud.

Wed Feb 20 2019

Cozy Dell from hwy 33. Water damaged.