Coyote Peak from Rockhouse Truck Trail

Coyote Peak from Rockhouse Truck Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near El Rancho Mobile Home Park, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April.

Cross country summit hike in Anza Borrego. Take the Rockhouse Truck Trail from S-22 toward Clark Dry Lake. Find the east side ridge that goes all the way up. The trail is marked with a cairn or two as well.

Hiked this yesterday with my 4 amigos. We were a group with varying degrees of fitness, but all hikers. First, take at least 3 L of H2O, it get's hot up there. It helps to drink some electrolytes beforehand or eat some blocks during. There is no shade! Start out with sunscreen on and re-apply liberally. We started at 8:30 a.m. and only averaged a mile or so per hour. I would recommend starting earlier if it is warm. When we finished it was 85 degrees! Too hot IMHO. I would NOT park at the abandoned tractor tires, I would go on down the road to the structure and park there. Go up on this side. For the first part of the trail, it is mostly way-finding. Once you get up past the first ridge, there is a bit of a trail and we built some cairns to help you out. Not so many cairns at the first part. I would recommend lug-soled boots and poles. The trail can be unkind in some places and you need good traction and support. Great work-out and nice views.

Monday, March 13, 2017

We parked by the two abandoned tractor tires off a small side road. It's rocky but easy to navigate, no bushwhacking. The peak is large and relatively flat. You need to walk the perimeter to get good views off each side.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Short and steep with great views. Follow the ridge line up from the Rockhouse Truck Trail. There is a bit of a use trail, and it is pretty much walk up all the way. Nothing past class 2. Nice views and a sense of solitude at the top. Good starter hike for Ysidro or Indianhead.