Coyote Lake 4x4 Trail

Coyote Lake 4x4 Trail is a 20.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

scenic driving

Very difficult trail to two beautiful lakes with great fishing and camping. The longest trail in the Red Mountain area with excellent camping and fishing. Difficult part measures 3.8 miles one way. Coyote Lake, because it is the largest and deepest lake, has the best fishing. A great weekend trip. Popular winter sports area. Signs mounted high on trees are for snowmobiles. Don't camp within 100 feet of lakes or in wet areas. Pack out all trash. Trail ends at wilderness boundary. Carry bug repellent. Located in Sierra National Forest. For current conditions call the High Sierra Ranger District at (559) 855-5355. A series of challenging boulder fields, very narrow in places. One section, immediately after Red Lake, is borderline extreme with giant tree roots mixed with boulders. For modified vehicles only. Differential lockers recommended.

off road driving

A great destination for camping with a trail that's not too crazy for a usually heavily loaded off road vehicle. If I remember correctly, I believe there's only a few challenging parts to get through. Loved taking the trip with my hubby and our dog because there's hardly ever other people there. We usually have a lake to ourselves. I'm looking forward to taking our daughter when she gets a little older.

I believe it's only open June 15- Nov 1.