Coxey OHV Road [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(55)
San Bernardino National Forest

Coxey OHV Road [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 19.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Apple Valley, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, bird watching, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,311 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

private property

A portion of Coxey Rd is on private land. An alternate entrance to Coxey Rd is from Grapevine Canyon Rd to the east.

ohv/off road driving

Super easy scenic drive, did it in a slightly modded 2019 Rav4 AWD.

ohv/off road driving

Apple Valley to Fawnskin: Had a great drive up to big bear on Memorial day, tested the capabilities of my recently purchased 2013 subaru outback (stock suspension and street tires) and never felt like the trail was too difficult to continue. Definitely recommend bringing extra water and a wide-brim hat in case you break down, but there were other people off-roading so I never felt like I would get stranded out there. So... aside from having to look at some big Trump 2020 flags at the first ranch on the trail, it was an amazing trip. (I stand for public lands) Would go again in spring or fall when snow isn't going to be an issue.

ohv/off road driving

Went up this trail from the Grapevine entrance this past weekend. Super fun mellow trail with tons of great scenery! Will definitely do again.

ohv/off road driving

Was a fun way to get off the mountain. Not as direct as getting down from the front side highways if you’re going home toward LA but this is definitely more fun. Shouldn’t be any issues going down in most suvs. When it rains or snows, I can see it being a challenge going up if you didn’t have 4x4 and at least all terrain tires.

icy

One of my favorite local trails. Such a blast after fresh snow.

ohv/off road driving

Probably the most difficult snow run I have ever done. There were parts of the road that were covered with atleast 18 inches of snow. I helped get a couple of buddies out of some bad spots and I got stuck a couple of times myself and needed help. It was awesome! I do not recommend doing this trail right after a storm if you dont have all the necessary equipment to get yourself unstuck, winch or straps with a hi lift, straps, shovel, max trax etc. If you have a capable offroad vehicle, all the equipment and good friends to help you out it will be awesome! Drive a 3rd gen tacoma, fox long travel shocks, total chaos ucas, falken at3w tires.

ohv/off road driving

One of my favorite trails. It is not a difficult trial at all just great views and fun times I have been on this trail with snow on the ground it’s not to difficult to drive. Only hard time I had is when the snow was packed down hard from all the traffic that had drove over it. it was difficult to make it around one corner truck just wanted to side. I did not have chains but after that corner I make it all the ways to big bear with out a problem.

ohv/off road driving

Start on grapevine canyon road. cool stops throughout. starts out sandy, kept it in 4x4 just to get through the sand. Then nice rock formations, and little challenges nothing crazy. can probably do it in a stock 4x4. once we got to coxey turned boring and fire type road. but nice stops, camping spots. Will do it again.

Tue Apr 23 2019

Great drive 4 runner 33” tires lifted didn’t need 4 wheel drive. Only used it for the many offshoots along the trail. Drive from fawnskin to apple valley. Worst part of the drive was getting to the 15 south thru hisperia.

closed
Mon Mar 04 2019

We started off on Apple Valley side and it was temporarily closed due to a land slide. There’s a small potion of the trail that is in private property and they had it closed. We talked to the owner but still no luck. Decided to turn back around and take Grape Vine Canyon Rd. to where it meets Coxey Trail. That’s is the only way around the private property. Be careful on Grape Vine, there are some areas that are washed out. We all made it thru with stock 4x4 despite one of us getting stuck on one of the washed out areas. Make sure to stay left!

closed
private property
Sun Mar 03 2019

Went with the crew up Coxey today... STOPPED before we started. Local residents locked the gate preventing access. Small rut on the other side they don’t want people going through... very sad. Rangers said it’s private property nothing they could do. Met up with a few others in the same situation so we started a caravan rolled ten deep. Great group of people. Went around through Grapevine canyon... I believe... little hairy in spots but the extra troops came in handy. Once you meet back up to Coxey it’s a great drive.. lots of mud and snow. Thanks for the hour plus detour locals. Not sure when they’ll let you pass... just a heads up.

Sun Feb 17 2019

2/16/19. Had a blast in the mud puddles after all the rain! A really fun trail. Due to the heavy rain and snow there were some pretty good sized ruts and lots of mud and slush. We did fine in a stock 2017 Jeep Wrangler Smokey Mountain but I’d say this trail is more moderate-easy, especially for beginners like us. I’m sure in the summer this trail is easy. Lots of other vehicles out enjoying the mud and snow today. Only downside is about 14 miles in there was a fallen free that completely blocked the trail. A large group we ran into after we turned around mentioned they would attempt to remove it so it might be clear now.

Sun Feb 03 2019

We started in hisperia we got to our point which was coxey truck trail we follow it all the way up to big bear it was raining and halfway up the trail it started to snow by the time we got to big Bear what did encounter a really thick and heavy snow but we had no problems at all it was plenty of people going up in downtown Everybody friendly and willing to help thanks for the good time

Sat Jan 19 2019

It was my first time taking this trail and I fall in love it. The views were amazing. You don’t need 4x4 you can make it with 2 wheel drive. I made it all the way with 2 wheel drive. It was little muddy because of the snow but most of the trip it was dried.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Tue Dec 18 2018

Drove this trail on 12/17/2018. Started in Fawnskin near Big Bear Lake and went down the hill to Apple Valley. The weather was clear and cold but the road was mostly dry, which made for an easy but enjoyable drive. There are some beautiful vistas along the way to enjoy so be sure to take time to enjoy the views.

Tue Dec 11 2018

12/08/18 Great trail! Rode it all the way from Apple Valley to Fawnskin. Plenty of big puddles, mud, and snow. Even with the snow it's a pretty easy ride, my stock 2018 Tacoma offroad 4x4 had no problems doing this trail. I had the family so we drove the extra 15 minutes to big bear had lunch and came down the mountain. Great day.

Fri Nov 30 2018

My husband and I have taken this trail up from Apple Valley to Fawnskin a few times. Once there was snow on the ground and had to throw it in to 4 high, but it was still a super great drive. Love this trail. Usually a ranger will hang out on the trail and if they think your vehicle can't make it then they won't let you pass.

Sat Nov 17 2018

Pretty view easy trail no need for 4x4 did it last weekend ended up at big bear lake

Wed Sep 12 2018

so far so good with app

Fri Sep 07 2018

Nice easy ride up or down.

Wed Jun 20 2018

We started from Fawnskin and it was an easy ride down. Great views from Fawnskin and a great way to get up, or down from Big Bear if you have the time.

Sun Jun 17 2018

Great ride with the family a couple turnouts with unreal views easy enough for Jlu Sahara.