Cowles Mountain to Pyles Peak Trail Via Big Rock Trail

Cowles Mountain to Pyles Peak Trail Via Big Rock Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santee, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2050 feet

Mission Trails Regional Park is a short distance from downtown San Diego and provides easy access for those who live near San Diego. With over 40 miles of trails, it is one of the largest urban parks in the United States. This is the Cowles Mountain Region of the Mission Trails Regional Park.

Great hike but very hot at 9am. Felt sorry for the kids and dogs. Great workout!

Very treacherous and rocky. Cowels wasn’t to bad but we wanted to complete the 5 Peak Challenge so we hit Pyles Peak next. Round trip when done 9.3 miles, 89 floors and 26,000+ steps. My hardest hike by far.

This was a great trip! Although I hike often, this one kicked my butt! There is lots of incline hiking as well as stair-like supports. Definitely felt the burn in my legs and got my heart racing! P.s. once you're on Pyles Peak Trail after walking through the Cowles Mt Peak, keep a look out for a fork in the trail. We kept on the main trail but it took us too far to the left and we missed the peak. Just keep your eyes open for a right fork.

It was a great hike! First time going up the back side of Cowles and then to Pyles Peak, but definitely worth it. I took my roommate who doesn’t workout or anything and he was able to do it. I wouldn’t say it’s terribly difficult but is a good workout. Pretty rocky in some areas, so wear appropriate shoes.

I only recorded the pyles peek back down through Cowles.

A solid hike with great views. Pretty busy, but this hike up the backside to Cowles is less so than the west side. Cowles is a popular hike in San Diego for a reason. I you already plan on Hiking Cowles summit I recommend continuing on to Pyles peak. it'll add an extra 2-3 miles but almost no one on the trail and it has some good ups and downs. This hike isn't easy if you're casual about hiking or don't work out much, but I wouldn't say its too difficult. Dogs allowed on leashes, just have to pick up after them.

hiked earlier today def a good hike pretty rocky in certain areas. make sure you go early because it gets pretty hot out there. view of lake murray.

I love this trail. Just a few people out on a summer weekend morning. Weather high 70s to low 80s and even a breeze.

Sure it's steep but it's so pretty. Lots of that red dirt and beautiful views.

Loved using my poles especially on that last 1/4 mile to the peak. And in general on the downhill saves the knees!

Uncrowded and beautiful scenery.

A challenging and rewarding hike in San Diego city limits with much less traffic after you pass the Cowles Mountain summit.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Great hike and you only see the Cowles crowd for a little while.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

tough, but awesome as always. wear comfy shoes

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Tons of people, of course. It's like a highway up and down. Not terribly difficult, but there are a few places where you have to exert yourself to get up the rocks on the trail. Views up top are great. Highly recommend going onto Pyle Peak. Not as many people. Took about 50 min to get to the top near the radio tower. Another 30 min to get to Pyle Peak.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Not as steep as other trails in the park, but a good sustained hike. Steady climbing that levels out here and there.

Monday, September 05, 2016