Cowles Mountain from Big Rock Trail

Cowles Mountain from Big Rock Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santee, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail for training. l less crowded than the main Trail.

The majority of the trail was pretty tame, though it got steep towards the end. Lots of people on the trail at 8 am on a Saturday. Nice views of the city at the top. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow. It starts by a city park with bathrooms, so that's a bonus!

If one must do cowles, I definitely suggest this route. It is much less crowded than the front way and there is tons of shade. Doable for children as young as 5.

Definitely moderate even though the signs are rated difficult. Went early to beat the sun. Not too busy of a trail although there were some working cars driving up and down. Very steep part towards the summit for about .5 miles. Make sure you wear proper shoes!

More enjoyable, more strenuous approach to Cowles than the "main way."

Heavy trafficked trail and dog friendly. First part of the trail goes behind home houses, then eventually merges to the main trail where you will see many other hikers. The hike up is a steady incline with a few steeper parts. once you get to the top, you get a panoramic view of San Diego. Be careful on the way down. If you are not wearing shoes with enough traction you may slip at some parts. Overall, it's a good hike to go with kids and dogs.

A favorite on Cowles Mtn. Great terrain and views

I've climbed Cowles twice, this time taking the less trafficked route, and I enjoyed it a lot more. It is very steep towards the summit and there is a lot of loose gravel. Make sure you wear HIKING shoes or boots. I made the mistake of wearing running shoes, and I slipped and fell and scraped my knee. Overall a nice hike, great for beginners like me.

Great workout hike - Easy to find trailhead - trail in good condition even after rain - started right before sunrise and rock ridge trail was empty .... at least going up

From out of town and so glad I picked this! Ran all the trails up there but this was my favorite segment - not as heavily trafficked as the others were to get to the peak. Spectacular views all the way up and back. The trail is well marked and easy to navigate and the single track segments were just hard enough to keep it interesting. Had a great time!

Ive hiked and biked this trail on a few occassìons. Experienced mtb only and you will need to walk some. Its a nice stroll up the mountain though and it is definitly prefered trail to the top of cowels for my taste.

Big rock trail is awesome! lots of greenery and really feels like you are in the thick of it. once you hit the fire road to Cowles it's definitely an uphill battle. loose gravel makes it intimidating for the descent but overall a good hike round trip. Plenty of street parking and in a safe neighborhood.

Good hike. Just a lot of lose gravel. So you have to be careful when going back down. Lots of traffic but fun. View is really nice once up there.

Did as a midmorning hike on a Friday. Trail was relatively crowed.

first time doing this hike! it was amazing started from big rock trail near the park down below. great nice hike loved it

Great workout

what a work out. so proud of Kacey and myself for getting this done.

Really liked this trail but my first hike in many years and a bit out of shape so it was difficult. working to get back into shape.

Totally different from the other side. Less hikers and a great incline

First time going up this way. Fewer hikers on this route.

Best trail up Cowles. Do it at least once.

Quite a nice route up Cowles with much less foot traffic. The service road is my next goal. Plan on going up with my bike theu that route

I love this trail and suited for my training! It isn't too rocky and crowded than the Cowles Mountain Trailhead. It is a longer route but it was worth it.

Cowles is busy during the weekends, this back side is a lot better then continue on to Pyles Peak.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Good hike

Sunday, July 09, 2017

this app says this trail is moderate.. bit the signs say difficult.. I'm leaning to the difficult side. It was hot because I started closer to 9 a.m. instead of 7 which was my goal... but.. considering the direct sun and really no shade.. especially as you get closer to the summit 7 is probably still too late for a July day.
All in all, I would do it again but earlier... much earlier or in the fall or winter.
But hey, got some good exercise.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

The incline was killer! great workout for those who aren't avid hikers. The people were amazing and the views at sunset were fantastic. I will definitely do this hike again.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

It was BEAUTIFUL! First hike since moving to Cali, also first one alone and the highest difficulty; I'm thoroughly impressed with the scenery.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

It was a good run hike for me I was pretty much alone on trail felt semi remote bushes very grown out will do again