Cowles Mountain from Barker Way

Cowles Mountain from Barker Way is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Less traffic, smoother surface to walk on, however it is steeper than the front. I like this route better than the front of Cowles for sure. Seemed a lot faster and more spacious

Less traffic than western side of Cowles Mountain. Close to home, fun and good workout.

Great hike

We did a 3 mile loop up the service road from the Barker Trailhead and then down Barker Way. Pretty ideal weather for mid-June but a bit windy. Heading up was pretty steep but there were a lot of great areas to rest and enjoy the view. The way down was a lot more scenic, we spent a little time on the main more heavily trafficked trail before turning onto Barker Way. The way back down was really scenic and more enjoyable than the service road we took up. I would go so far as to recommend going via Barker Way both to the summit and back.

I really like this route, alotttttttt less people it does meet up with the heavily trafficked trail but not for too long, this was 3 miles even though it says 2.4. Lies. We went up the barker way and then came down the service road, which is verrrrrry steep but there were some shirtless guys running up the hill (hubba hubba) so the views were pretty nice at the top and bottom of the mountain. I would definitely recommend hiking boots or all terrain shoes, your cute AF cross training nikes won't cut it and you will slide down the trails and fall on your ass multiple times. Trust me, I made this mistake the first time. Luckily everyone will laugh and check to make sure you're okay. If you like that kind of attention and bruising your bum do what you wanna.