La Quinta Cove to Lake Cahillla

La Quinta Cove to Lake Cahillla is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near La Quinta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 915 feet Route Type: Out & Back

One of the best trails at La Quinta Cove that goes through the golf course, Morrow Trail and finally to Lake Cahillla.

Decent hike straight through the desert. No shade. Bring water.

Nice moderate trail with some climbing but no scrambling. I've done a run/hike on this trail 5 times with the last time in June 2019. last 2 times I saw snakes with 1 rattler as thick as my fist. Each time the snakes were in valley between the 1st and 2nd mountains. so do be aware and take plenty of water. seldom anyone around in summer.

beautiful flowers in the late Spring, take plenty drinking water.

Take water and wear sunscreen

Fairly easy hike to the lake and moderate hike back. Took 2 hours, full sun and a little breeze which was nice. As it gets warmer you would most def hit this bright and early. The first 1.5 miles is a flat and drab. Don’t forget to pack your water in this one.

right out my backyard makes it for an easy go to.

The hike starts out flat and wide open. About a half mile in you start some good up and downs. We started about 7am and there were quite a few cars already in the parking lot. The trail had heavy traffic of hikers and runners. Quite a few dogs that left their evidence on the trail which end up on my shoes and the carpet of my car. A disappointing end to a nice hike...

Well marked sandy trails...Cove to Lake. Only saw fast lizards and other avid hikers. TH at Lake is in a fee area park. No porta potties at TH. Somewhat hot..79 at noon. Rock Hopper

I was in search of the superbloom and found only 10% of the flowers left... Camouflage where ghost flowers, prickly pear flowers. Nevertheless a hike that had some great views! It ended in a park which was nice for the 7 yr old who was bored after 20mins into the adventure. Lots of ups and downs. It made us all burned extra calories to deserve a milkshake. Do it early! It got hot fast!

I did this with my 13 yo daughter and for what we were looking for it was great. I am not in top fitness shape, we both got winded on the way up the inclines, enough to feel your blood pumping but not debilitating. it took us about 2 hours, the first 20 minutes is kind of boring but then it's a nice desert trail.

This was an easy hike but with the wildflowers in bloom it was lovely. Easy to find the trailhead and well signposted the whole way. It is an undulating Trail once you get through the initial wash trail. Nice place to have a snack at the lake. The golf course is lovely too. A nice out and back. Not strenuous.

Group of four moderate to experienced hikers, from British Columbia. Would consider this more a walk than a hike. There are a few sections of up and down, but mostly sandy gravel and open trail. You can see the golf course for a good piece of it. Views were pretty mediocre. Easy to do in runners . Completed the 10km out and back in 2:10. Wouldn’t do it again, but Indian Canyons was closed .....

A long washout area to get to some climbing... not counting rest stops it took us 3 hours 15 minutes from parking lot to official trail start and back to parking lot (I am a slow hiker!) We started about 8:45am, next time I would start earlier-75 degrees was the high today.

Great hike, beautiful hike! 2 hours 52 min 6.5 miles. Big horn sheep, and beautiful views!

Nice views we hiked on a cloudy day would be very hot otherwise

Nice trail - well maintained and well marked. Pretty views. Only restroom facilities are at the lake. Best for early in the season because there’s no shade. Several other trails close by.

Pack a snack or light lunch for when you get to the lake. Picnic tables for your break! Nice views at higher points of the hike. Other trails in the area to add to your day.

Trail mostlt sandy washes, saw 4 big horn sheep cross the wash heading back up their hill. Too bad we didn't go earlier. Next time starting at 7am.

Sheep were grazing on the golf course greens. Great hike- 3 hill climbs mixed in with flat.

park employee misdirected us to equestrian end of parking lot. trail start at entrance to paved lot and is initially unmarked. once the trail starts the trail marks are clear. bighorn sheep feed on golf course. breeze at the ridge is refreshing.

This is an easy hike as rated, mostly flat. not the type of hiking I enjoy personally. appreciated seeing the Big horn sheep, beautiful animals. we respected them, took a photo and moved on.

Very nice hike many different paths can be taking.

Cove to Lake Trail (my two daughters and I did it as Lake to Cove) is a very easy ‘walking’ trail with a couple steeper climbs. My daughters are not avid hikers but they enjoyed the surroundings. Unfortunately we didn’t see any wildlife, keeping an eye peeled for Big Horns but we loved the desert mountains.

Just hiked this today (December 22). This was my 3rd time on this trail. Today’s weather was purrrrfect! Surprisingly fragrant at this time of the year! The views of the mountains heading in are SPECTACULAR! I love greenery of the golf course amidst all the brown mountains and WOW, once you reach Lake, what a beautiful sight! Took a nice little break to enjoy the calm water and watch the white swans. Super easy heading to lake...a bit more challenging with minimal inclines on the way back. Took about 2-1/2 hrs. Worth every minute!

I came here on a vacation from the L.A. area. I echo most of what the others have said... The land and rock formations on this trail were magnificent! It just felt weird to end up at a swanky golf course and then an apparent man-made lake at the end. The lake area did make for a nice breather and tranquil snack time, though. It was also a bonus to have clean bathrooms there. And one last thing: anyone know the story on all of the rusty cans and broken glass at the beginning? Need to research that for sure!! Overall, worth the time - got the heart pumping and lungs got some good fresh air.

Good trail, we saw 2 big horn sheep on the golf course, not afraid of humans.

Enjoyed this hike! Did not see any animals. Wish we had packed a lunch for when we reached the lake.