Cougar Crest Trail

Cougar Crest Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Big Bear Lake, CA: From the Discovery Center on the northeast shore of Big Bear Lake the trailhead is located 0.6-mile to the west on Highway 38. Or you can park for free until 6 PM at the Discovery Center and walk the 0.6-mile west on Highway 38 to the Cougar Crest Trail.

18 minutes ago

Nice trail. We stop at the 1.5 mile area where the bench with the lake view. A lot of lose rocks but still A well-maintained trail.

My husband took me to this trail for the first time
and I enjoyed the view of the lake half way to Berta's Peak . I look forward to take this hike again and complete the 7.1 mile hike to the top hopefully

great trail...keep going onward to bertha peak for the true prize.

I hiked this trail back in 2015 and took it to the top by the towers. The trail is beautiful and gives you a great view of Big Bear Lake. The last part when you are close to the towers goes straight up an access dirt road. When heading back down make sure not to miss the turn off for the trail. It is easy to miss and you will end up down the mountain miles from the trailhead. This last Memorial Weekend we headed towards this trail again, but didn't have enough time to do the whole trail. Even though we didn't have enough time it still did not disappoint. With only a short distance up you get a magical view of the lake. This trail is also tucked away on the back side of Big Bear lake making the trail not as crowded as the trails closer to the Village. Read more about our last trip on my blog

Happy Hiking :)

Good hike
my dog really enjoyed it

This is the best trail for people looking to go on their first hike in big bear. I take all my friends on this hike first. If you can only make it a third of the way, you'll still see some nice views of the mountains and a bit of the lake. If it's not enough of a workout, you can continue at the end to Bertha Peak. The views on the trail are spectacular. Photos cant show how blue the lake is on a clear day. The trail opens up at times for great panoramic views of the mountains. The trail itself is mostly dirt, not too rocky so easier to climb. Parking is also plentiful (and paved).

Great trail but rocky. Beautiful views. Easy to moderate climb. Good for the family.