Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Cosumnes River Walk Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(229)
Cosumnes River Preserve

Cosumnes River Walk Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Galt, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Due to COVID-19, parking is available along the road. Free Parking & Restrooms.

The whole family enjoyed this trail. Saw lots of birds and even a deer. Nice view of the river and marshlands. Would highly recommend for a casual stroll.

closed

Mosquitos are out so wear bug spray or long clothes. Parking on side of the road

We did this walk yesterday. Very peaceful and scenic. Loved the grasslands, marshes, sloughs and wildlife. According to the signs at various trailheads, the trails are open to visitors. At first glance, the posters say "closed", but if you keep reading the notices, they mention that the trails are open. They ask that you observe social distancing and stay home if you are feeling ill. We saw a total of 10 people during our 90 minutes walk on various trails. Parking is allowed on the streets, except in areas where there are signs that indicate "no parking".

Perfect evening walk for me and my quarantine family. Parking is closed so you’ll have to park on the street but the birds and flowers were beautiful.

Easy trail. A nice mild hike with no elevation gain. Can be very breath taking especially on lightly trafficked days!

I just adore this trail! It’s beautiful, easy walk, access to clean restrooms, and a cute little area to sit down and eat or converse at the entry. There is also a dock, I noticed families wheeling out there little boats. There are maps threw out the trail in all areas so you can constantly keep up with where you are. Simple little get away.

Nice, easy trail for a morning walk. I’d say go early because by 11:00 the parking lot was almost full.

Beautiful trail, kid friendly, but can get alittle crowded

loved it! brought my family (5yr old and 7yrs old) easy hike for both of them and lots to see.

Being very new to trails and hikes, this was amazing. A great distance and not many people on the trial. Gives you the options for different paths to extend your trail.

We got there about 8:30 in the morning late February and there was barely anybody there. Very flat, peaceful, easy hike/walk. We really took our time and stopped and admired some of the birds and surroundings. By the time we left it was almost 1 o’clock in the afternoon and there was A LOT more people there. Most of the hike has no shade so it might be pretty brutal in the summertime afternoons. We are not runners but if we were this would be a nice place to go for a run (in the morning). We plan on going back in the spring when things have blossomed and will likely be prettier. Very good bird watching if you’re into that.

Peaceful, easy, flat trail. Lots of places to sit and relax, if wanted. There are multiple loops within the trail, so you can make it a longer or shorter walk. I saw a lot of birds. The trail is well defined with many trail maps at each fork, so you always know where you are, and your options of different ways to take!

Super flat. Easy for my 3 year old. It would be muddy after a rain but was great today. Perfect for bird watching.

Great kid friendly trail! Took my 8 year old and he completed it! Partially shaded and the trails were well maintained.

My husband and I were out on this trail today with our 3 boys ages 12,8 and 5. And we have a great time without to many complaints from the boys. The little rest branches were a great idea.

Great trail although an area is closed so you gotta take a trail different from Alltrails which keeps telling you your off course. Great hike and nature trail.

Awesome, kid friendly trail. Brought my two year old son and he had no problem at all. We saw four deer near the train track bridge. Great views

Awesome trail! Very quiet if you go before the morning crowd (around 9a). I didn’t see much wildlife but the vegetation is gorgeous and I loved that I only passed two or three people on my way in. It’s pretty flat, but the trail itself is long enough for me to feel like I got a decent workout in. Can’t wait to go back this weekend.

Easy trail. Part of the trail was closed. The majority of the river trail is shady in the early morning when we were there. Saw an egret and a blue heron. Nice little visitor center as well.

Love this trail, loads of mushroom to identify along most of the path also easy trails for families with strollers and lots of room for runners.

closed
Thu May 23 2019

We didn't get to do the whole loop due to part of the trail being closed. We really didn't enjoy this trail too much. It's a nice marsh trail but just too many mosquitoes.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Such a beautiful trail. Can't be completed as on the map because of flooding in a couple of places but it was worth it. Went in spring time.

Mon Mar 25 2019

The trail is well maintained and wasn't too muddy to walk today after the rain we had overnight. Parts of the trail are rised boardwalks. There were a number of different birds and ducks to watch and enjoy.

Tue Mar 19 2019

beautiful sights and good bird watching. some trails were closed due to flooding.

Sun Jan 13 2019

Perfect for bird watching!

Sat Jan 12 2019

Just a beautiful day. Sunny, clear. Geese, ducks, hawks and an otter. I can only imagine in the spring with all the oak trees as a shade canopy.

Fri Jan 11 2019

Certainly not a challenging hike but it winds through foliage and takes you eventually to the wetlands where we saw many species of ducks and other birds. Quite lovely.