Corkscrew Peak

Corkscrew Peak is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,093 feet Route Type: Out & Back

My husband and I did this hike the day after we got engaged in January. It was beautiful, very memorable, hard, and totally worth it! We underestimated how cold it would be at the peak. Luckily we ran into an great group of guys who gave us jackets and gloves. Be sure to bring enough food and water, as well as warm clothes, (even if you’re in shorts at the base.) Also make sure to start early enough because it’s a long hike. Enjoy!!

Wonderful hike! Strenuous to be sure but worth it. The summit is amazing and you’ll likely have it to yourself (I only saw 3 people all day). I had clear views of everything. Sign in the registration book at the top too. The hike down is just as amazing because the views are gorgeous and the rocks and geology change as you go. Definitely a hard hike. I was very glad I had my hiking poles because it’s super steep and there is loose stone along the way. Bring lots of water and start early. Took me about 4.5 hours with lunch up top and snack stops along the way. I hustled on the flats. Finding the trail is not fun In the beginning. But it does start behind the corkscrew sign (if you park on the little pull off facing it). There are a few cairns but it’s much easier to follow on the way out than the way in. Essentially just follow all trails app until it meets up at the first yellow dot (merged trail) about a mile in. From that point on it’s well marked. On my app there appeared to be two routes to that yellow point. I would suggest taking the one on the left. That seemed to be easier to follow than the one to the right. Although it doesn’t really matter which way you walk as long as you get to that yellow dot point and follow it from there. A good tough climb!

Following the path our watches said it was a 9 mile hike but we also couldn't find the trail until we got into the wash about a half mile in. Once we found the trail the rest of the hike was great! The trail was well marked and the views were spectacular. Up there as one of our favorite hard, but worth it, hikes!

Quite a climb. A bit sketchy in spots. Very exposed. Spectacular view. Trail log in ammo box at the top. Trail markings could be inproved.

Amazing views at the peak. Hiking boots and trekking poles a must. Lots of loose rock. Had trouble finding trail at 5am in the dark. If you park facing the Corkscrew Peak sign. The trail is behind it. This trail is only for the experienced hikers. Last 2-3 miles are were the majority of the elevation gain is. Would definitely do it again. Highly underrated trail.

Loved this hike! Very very hard and steep too. Views are great like Dantes View but you will have it all to yourself! Did this hike with bro and his 5 kids. Parts were cold in the wind. Average grade for the last 1.7 miles is 33% but the last .4mi is 66% WOW! It is hard but worth it.

Great hike, did it New Year’s Day with my family. Spectacular views of the park. The elevation gains are tough in some areas, but definitely worth the effort. Would do that hike again

The start of the trail is a bit confusing. You kind of just walk from the sign toward the mountain through the wash. It’s a very rocky path as well. As you get near the top, the rocks are super lose and you have to climb up them- and it’s quite the scramble. Descending is tricky and my toes hurt a lot. It was a fairly cool hike overall.

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

This peak view is awesome, I took a modified route up and the traditional route back. It took a total of 4L of water and 6 hrs to complete. Not the highest in DV but the most loved. Expect class 2-3 on the way. Posting a pic of my modified route.

Monday, February 12, 2018

With 3K feet of elevation gain in just 3.5 miles, this is an asskicker. The views are worth it though. Be sure to bring plenty of water and food, shoes with good tread (the trail is very loose in some parts), and a GPS (the beginning/end of the trail is hard to follow).

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Great hike! Significant elevation gain but views are totally worth it!

Friday, January 12, 2018

Crazy awesome hike, The trail head is a sign on the side of the road with enough room for 3 cars to pull off onto the shoulder. The start of the trail is not very well marked so you the AllTrails app to help you find your way. Our group of 4 did this hike in December and no one was to be seen at all on the trail. You can see the summit from where you park on the road which is really cool. There isn't anything technical about this trail, just be careful of the steep incline and loose rock near the top.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Friday, May 05, 2017

Great hike! Extreme temperature change when completing this trail. Was raining and foggy so limiting distance views but was a lot of fun! Challenging!

recorded Corkscrew Peak