Learn more

Cooper Canyon via Cloudburst Summit

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(80)
San Gabriel Wilderness

Cooper Canyon via Cloudburst Summit is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palmdale, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,804 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trial. Good mix of sun and shade. As of 7/3/2020. The pit toilets are closed due to road damage and the pump truck cant get down. Its a busy trail but not crowded. If you are out of shape the uphill back to the hwy and parking is brutal. Theres also access to the falls via Buckhorn trail and day use area. Dont know if it is less steep.

really nice downhill hike to the bottom of a canyon. there's a nice little campground down at the bottom of the canyon which is also where you start seeing the stream cross you follow the stream for another mile or so I'm down the side of a hill to see a nice wide waterfall with chill little pool

Great trail. A little crowded down by the falls, which is still flowing strong, but to be expected on a Saturday. I came across a small CA mountain king snake on my way back up. No rattlesnakes thankfully!

bridge out

I would recommend this trail , it has great views and the sound of the waterfalls are beautiful is pretty easy just stay on trail to stay safe...

This is a beautiful hike. The trail is well maintained and the views are epic. We saw a couple snakes, chipmunks, and squirrels and some bats once the sun went down. Camped overnight and then headed back the next day. The mosquitos were relentless in the evening time.

Moderate hike... down hill at first, cross a couple of creeks. Small area at the waterfall but really nice.

On a Tuesday morning we only saw a few other people on the trail, which was great. Everyone respectful of distance and had masks. We hiked in on the “middle” trail (behind the gate) to Cooper Canyon campsite (FYI restroom is closed) and turned around there. We crossed over to the Pacific Crest Trail on the way out which was a little shadier, flatter at first but then steeper and narrower on the way out. That 4.6 miles was about all our 4 yo son could handle. Overall it was very pretty, mostly sunny tho some nice breezy spots and a bit dusty. Really nice to see spring flowers and the little creek even if we didn’t go all the way to the falls. Definitely buggy but just annoying, no biters.

Beautiful hike today. Not overly crowded. on the trail. There were a lot of people at the falls, so we stopped and picnicked above the falls, which was great. A lot of the hikers had masks, and everyone was respectful of keeping their distance. As others have noted, it's all downhill on the way in, so the return is a good workout! Great views, nice trail, enough shade, some wildflowers still in bloom.

Beautiful hike! Somehow my friend and I managed to take the right hike but we were honestly confused because there are three different trail heads by the parking lot but we took the one behind the gate. Pretty good work out coming back up! Only half people wearing masks. Get there early because it was totally packed when we left. We clocked 4 hours, 7.4 miles.

Really nice hike. Bugs weren’t too bad, we were fine without any repellant. Dogs loved the hike! Little steep at the end to get down to the falls but the dogs managed it no problem. Beautiful views, waterfall, and weather!

Had the outstanding good fortune to bask on a boulder at the falls for quite some time today, in total solitude. Water is roaring, falls should stay pretty solid while the snow is still melting. Bugs were out in full force, decent sized rattlesnake on the trail, nothing but blue skies. Excellent trail.

Great hike! There was some snow still on the trail and some you have to cross the river. Would definitely do again

There was some snow, I was hoping that the end of the trail would lead to a view but it was at a base with creek that went into a different trail.

Snow shoes area must. Calf high snow now. Kept sinking in pockets along the trail. Not much of a path past the campground. Too deep for us without show shoes.

Good trail, Lots of snow-mid November. Cool pool at the end

Cooper canyon to Winston peak and cloudburst summit and back

Another one in the bag. Not a very exciting hike in September and can get quite hot. Be sure to wear sun screen and have the best bug repellent you can find. We used deet and it didn’t do anything!

Wanted to scope out my next hike to Burkhardt Saddle. To make the trip a little longer today, I chose to go from Cloudburst, instead of Buckhorn. The setting was beautiful thoughout. Some incredible Incense Cedars and Sugar Pines. I hiked down the road to intersect the PCT. Once I got down into the canyon the scenery changed from pines to riparian. Lots of green, LOTS of bugs (DEET highly recommended right now) and plenty of unexpected wildlife. Ran into a small western Dback curled up in the shade of some brush. Wasn't manzanita, maybe oak? Not sure. He/She was WELL camouflaged even though it was a foot from the trail. No rattling, no movement, nothing. Lucky I didn't step on it since it was definitely a juvenile, maybe 10-12 inches long. Then continued through to the creeks. The water was flowing pretty good for August. Got down to the intersection of Cooper and Little Rock creeks to find the Burkhardt trail. The area was totally overgrown and I couldn't find the exact trail. There were several use trails into the creek area, but none going along Little Rock creek to the south. Finally gave up and found a beautifully shaded, completely still pool with several 8-10 inch trout swimming around. They were brown but I don't know the exact species, definitely NOT rainbows. Stopped at the falls and enjoyed it for a refresher before the long slog back to Cloudburst. Hiked the return faster than expected because the only way to avoid innundation by bug was to just walk faster.

Sun May 12 2019

No snow at all on the trail in May. Camped at the trail camp the night before. Beautiful campground with a creek running through it when I went. The falls are great too with a rope to help you climb in and out of the river at the base. The hike to the falls was fine since it was downhill but the hike back up is a lot of elevation gain so make sure you're conditioned before attempting it.

Sun Feb 10 2019

Snow covers all the trail. It is awesome.

Tue Jun 05 2018

This is a nice trail that leads down to a creek. There was water but it was a trickle. Enough to refill my bottle. This trail is more moderate than easy. I would say it is easy for those in better shape and those who hike more often. I did this trail because it was rated easy and I wanted to work on ascending. This was not easy and can be somewhat steep in some places. It was a beautiful hike with fragrant spring blooms. I gave it 4 stars because some people use part of the trail to walk their dogs and leave doggie bags along the trail. Also, bring your own toilet paper as the vaulted toilet at Cooper Canyon didn't have any available.

Sat Mar 24 2018

Fun route to get down to cooper canyon. The first part of the trail can be either the road or the PCT. I recommend taking the PCT the whole way. I hiked his trail just after a snow melt and the stream was flowing heavy. The smell of spring was very strong in the air and there were clouds streaming over the mountain tops and a constant cool breeze. Couldn’t have asked for a better day.

Fri Jan 06 2017

This is an easy trail which also happens to be a segment of the PCT. At the bottom of this trail segment is a falls in the creek that trickles even during the summer in drought years. It is a good place to replenish water if you have a filter. The Cooper Canyon Trail camp is well equipped with pit toilets, picnic tables and stoves. To get down to the falls involves a scramble down the bank with the assistance of an existing rope. A fit person could probably do it without the rope, but some may not be able to do it even with the rope, especially if you have a fear of falling. I did this trail as a Boy Scout backpacking weekend. We also saw families with young children. Its a good easy route.