Coon Creek Trail

Coon Creek Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Coon Creek is a 4.5 mile trail located near Los Osos, California. The trail is primarily used for walking.

Very enjoyable hike... Loved how even though the parking lot was full, we were the only people out hiking on this particular trail.
DO pay attention while you're out here though. On our way back we encountered a mountain lion crossing the path. Pretty sure he was headed to get a drink, but wow!

very easy hike. we enjoyed the whole trip from start to end. the coastal mist made the vegetation really stand out. this would be perfect, if you are looking for a little exercise with beautiful views. this trail splits off into other trails as well, we chose to go on the Oat Summit trail from here.

Great hike.

beautiful trail

Awesome hike, but the whole thing was actually about 10 miles round trip.

Lá semana pasada

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Great trail! We didn't make it up to the old log cabin. Next time for sure. A little overgrown and not well trafficked. A majority of the trail is under thick coverage of oak trees and brush making it feel like your walking through a tunnel. Visibility on the trail to your sides is pretty limited. I could hear the creek (and lots of critters) moving through the brush but couldn't see it for good portions of the trail. The bridge crossings were cool! We only made it to 4 of the bridges.

It was Memorial Day and I was surprised how sparse the trail was with other hikers. I definitely recommend wearing pants not shorts and a long sleeve shirt or jacket because of poison oak all along trail. Also, got home and found a tick on me. Good to be prepared but this is just Southern California hiking. Definitely will go back!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

We did the 9 mile Oats Peak 'loop'. From the canyon 'rainforest' of Coon Creek to the vistas of Oats Peak - just awesome! Be prepared for some overgrown, less travelled trails though!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Beautiful place

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Nice trail, I think we missed a turn because it just kinda ended in a clearing. I have a new GPS, and will try again, because it is worth another try.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

It's been a few years, but I remember it well. It was right after a "controlled" burn by Cal Fire ended up burning several hundred acres. I probably went about 4-5 miles back before calling it quits as it seemed like it could go on forever. The inclines up to the peak were pretty challenging when you get up in elevation. I loved all the Manzanita trees and unique rock formations. You can distinguish the different ancient seabeds that have been exposed over millions of years.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Nice and easy hike. Love all the bridges and fresh berry bushes along the way.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Went the wrong way and ended up on Rattlesnake Flats trail, but we stayed on it which was nice because we got some amazing views. Rattlesnake flats is barren and kind of hot, but some nice sea breezes came up which made it nice. The trail runs back down and t-bones into about the mid way point of Coon Creek, so we took that back to the parking lot.
Coon Creek is nice and easy, relatively level and winds through a riparian woodland filled with berry bushes and bird chatter. I'm glad we went the wrong way and got to do a good climb, but I'd like to come back and do Coon Creek properly and go the whole length to check out the homestead. Anyway, we'll be back! Montano de Oro is definitely a great place to go to escape the summer heat of North County ;)

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Definitely an easy hike. Probably great views on a clear day, though when I went it was foggy. You'll want to start along the creek, then turn left on Rattlesnake Flats to loop you back to the parking lot. Recently, there was a control burn (About 9 months ago), and the area is still clearly scarred, as it will be for years. I think this only adds to the experience of the trail, however. On rattlesnake flats, it looks as though the whole place is a graveyard of plants, but at the same time, new growth is sprouting from the ground. I recommend doing this in the fog, as it only adds to the whole experience of feeling totally isolated and alone with nature. If you want views, maybe a nice panorama, go hike Valencia Peak on a clear day. But if you want a really memorable experience, go Coon creek. There's something special when, in today's world with it's roughly 7 billion people, you look around and see nothing but mist and nature.

Saturday, December 01, 2012

the cdf let a controlled burn get out of control. the trail is pretty messed up right now and not very pretty.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

A good trail for the beginner hiker--gets you some good exercise and good views.At the end of the inbound trail is a tall stand of trees--nice on a summers day to take a break before the hike back out

Monday, January 23, 2012

A neat trail for exercise, the first third is mostly flat following the creek up the valley. The next third is up hill then rolling. The last third is down hill with a great view of the ocean.

Thursday, August 03, 2017