Coon Creek Trail

Coon Creek Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Coon Creek is a 4.5 mile trail located near Los Osos, California. The trail is primarily used for walking.

Great trail! We didn't make it up to the old log cabin. Next time for sure. A little overgrown and not well trafficked. A majority of the trail is under thick coverage of oak trees and brush making it feel like your walking through a tunnel. Visibility on the trail to your sides is pretty limited. I could hear the creek (and lots of critters) moving through the brush but couldn't see it for good portions of the trail. The bridge crossings were cool! We only made it to 4 of the bridges.

It was Memorial Day and I was surprised how sparse the trail was with other hikers. I definitely recommend wearing pants not shorts and a long sleeve shirt or jacket because of poison oak all along trail. Also, got home and found a tick on me. Good to be prepared but this is just Southern California hiking. Definitely will go back!

We did the 9 mile Oats Peak 'loop'. From the canyon 'rainforest' of Coon Creek to the vistas of Oats Peak - just awesome! Be prepared for some overgrown, less travelled trails though!

Beautiful place

Nice trail, I think we missed a turn because it just kinda ended in a clearing. I have a new GPS, and will try again, because it is worth another try.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Saturday, July 23, 2016

It's been a few years, but I remember it well. It was right after a "controlled" burn by Cal Fire ended up burning several hundred acres. I probably went about 4-5 miles back before calling it quits as it seemed like it could go on forever. The inclines up to the peak were pretty challenging when you get up in elevation. I loved all the Manzanita trees and unique rock formations. You can distinguish the different ancient seabeds that have been exposed over millions of years.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday, February 29, 2016

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Nice and easy hike. Love all the bridges and fresh berry bushes along the way.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Went the wrong way and ended up on Rattlesnake Flats trail, but we stayed on it which was nice because we got some amazing views. Rattlesnake flats is barren and kind of hot, but some nice sea breezes came up which made it nice. The trail runs back down and t-bones into about the mid way point of Coon Creek, so we took that back to the parking lot.
Coon Creek is nice and easy, relatively level and winds through a riparian woodland filled with berry bushes and bird chatter. I'm glad we went the wrong way and got to do a good climb, but I'd like to come back and do Coon Creek properly and go the whole length to check out the homestead. Anyway, we'll be back! Montano de Oro is definitely a great place to go to escape the summer heat of North County ;)