Coon Creek Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,302 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail starts off very flat with minimal elevation gain. After about two miles, the trail steepens as you climb to Oats Peak. There is minimal shade and temperatures can get hot, so be sure to bring plenty of water.

Lots of poison oak!!! Nice easy trail in with 6 bridge crossings. Has minor ups and downs and some over grown brush in certain areas. We ended up getting to Oats Peak and going out a different route and did not double back out...

Great trail wildflowers and butterfly’s

Wonderful trail that feels like you are deep into the mountains, yet doable in an hour and a half or so. It is open now, needs trail maintenance there is a tree down after the third bridge, just climb around it! Wildflowers are out, birds are singing and the views are great. Easy to moderate and you can extend the trail if you want climbing oats peak or rattlesnake. Always layer at Montana de Oro, fog and sun. Grateful to be outdoors during this COVID outbreak, other hikers were respectful about moving off the trail.

Ticks and poison oak are out!

Beautiful trail that is decently flat. The end is not as thrilling as a hike with a peak to go to. For a more thrilling hike, add oats peak summit for the extra miles and altitude.

The first 2 miles of the trail offer a few nice points of interest, but the turn onto the Oats Trail is the reward. You make your way through a beautiful grove of oaks on the way to the top of the peak. Enjoy!

Great trail. Lots of shade. Not a single person on it other than us. Perfect to link to Oates Peak trail.

This trail was great! My brother and I combined this trail with the Oats Peak trail and Rattlesnake Flats trail so it was one giant loop. I forgot to record the trip but I think it was around 9 miles total and it took us about 4.5 hours with some breaks to take in the views. Well worth the effort! Get out there early and don't forget the sunscreen!

I love riding my horse on this trail, the views are always beautiful.

Wed Apr 10 2019

Beautiful hike. Definitely overgrown. Look out for poison oak. Wear long pants. Needs brushing work

Mon Apr 01 2019

Coon Creek to Oats Peak was amazing! The views and the wildflowers were gorgeous!

Sun Nov 04 2018

Great hike! Ends up being closer to 9 miles if you do oats peak as well. The oats peak portion is definitely more on the hard side. Pairs well with Coon Creek trail since it's a breeze.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Today we ended up doing the entire Coon Creak trail then climbed Oak Peak Summit. It was such a beautiful hike. It did get really hot towards the peak, so bring a camelback or a Canteen of water. Not much shade at the peak. The views are breathtaking. The Oat Peak is challenging since it is 2 miles upward. The peak ended up being around 110 floors. Enjoy the views!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Nice trail - better in winter as it doesn’t have much shade

Tue Jul 24 2018

Very enjoyable hike... Loved how even though the parking lot was full, we were the only people out hiking on this particular trail. DO pay attention while you're out here though. On our way back we encountered a mountain lion crossing the path. Pretty sure he was headed to get a drink, but wow! :)

Mon Jun 25 2018

very easy hike. we enjoyed the whole trip from start to end. the coastal mist made the vegetation really stand out. this would be perfect, if you are looking for a little exercise with beautiful views. this trail splits off into other trails as well, we chose to go on the Oat Summit trail from here.

Wed May 23 2018

Great hike.

Wed Feb 07 2018

beautiful trail

Tue Jan 02 2018

Awesome hike, but the whole thing was actually about 10 miles round trip.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Sat Aug 26 2017

Lá semana pasada

Tue May 30 2017

Great trail! We didn't make it up to the old log cabin. Next time for sure. A little overgrown and not well trafficked. A majority of the trail is under thick coverage of oak trees and brush making it feel like your walking through a tunnel. Visibility on the trail to your sides is pretty limited. I could hear the creek (and lots of critters) moving through the brush but couldn't see it for good portions of the trail. The bridge crossings were cool! We only made it to 4 of the bridges. It was Memorial Day and I was surprised how sparse the trail was with other hikers. I definitely recommend wearing pants not shorts and a long sleeve shirt or jacket because of poison oak all along trail. Also, got home and found a tick on me. Good to be prepared but this is just Southern California hiking. Definitely will go back!

Sun Apr 23 2017

We did the 9 mile Oats Peak 'loop'. From the canyon 'rainforest' of Coon Creek to the vistas of Oats Peak - just awesome! Be prepared for some overgrown, less travelled trails though!

Sat Apr 22 2017

Beautiful place

Sun Oct 09 2016

Nice trail, I think we missed a turn because it just kinda ended in a clearing. I have a new GPS, and will try again, because it is worth another try.

Sat Jul 23 2016

It's been a few years, but I remember it well. It was right after a "controlled" burn by Cal Fire ended up burning several hundred acres. I probably went about 4-5 miles back before calling it quits as it seemed like it could go on forever. The inclines up to the peak were pretty challenging when you get up in elevation. I loved all the Manzanita trees and unique rock formations. You can distinguish the different ancient seabeds that have been exposed over millions of years.

Tue Jun 30 2015

Nice and easy hike. Love all the bridges and fresh berry bushes along the way.

Fri Jun 12 2015

Went the wrong way and ended up on Rattlesnake Flats trail, but we stayed on it which was nice because we got some amazing views. Rattlesnake flats is barren and kind of hot, but some nice sea breezes came up which made it nice. The trail runs back down and t-bones into about the mid way point of Coon Creek, so we took that back to the parking lot. Coon Creek is nice and easy, relatively level and winds through a riparian woodland filled with berry bushes and bird chatter. I'm glad we went the wrong way and got to do a good climb, but I'd like to come back and do Coon Creek properly and go the whole length to check out the homestead. Anyway, we'll be back! Montano de Oro is definitely a great place to go to escape the summer heat of North County ;)

Sun Sep 08 2013

Definitely an easy hike. Probably great views on a clear day, though when I went it was foggy. You'll want to start along the creek, then turn left on Rattlesnake Flats to loop you back to the parking lot. Recently, there was a control burn (About 9 months ago), and the area is still clearly scarred, as it will be for years. I think this only adds to the experience of the trail, however. On rattlesnake flats, it looks as though the whole place is a graveyard of plants, but at the same time, new growth is sprouting from the ground. I recommend doing this in the fog, as it only adds to the whole experience of feeling totally isolated and alone with nature. If you want views, maybe a nice panorama, go hike Valencia Peak on a clear day. But if you want a really memorable experience, go Coon creek. There's something special when, in today's world with it's roughly 7 billion people, you look around and see nothing but mist and nature.