Convict Lake Loop Trail

Convict Lake Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

June 7, bridge at the back of the lake is out. Looks like a tree fell across it. you can still make it if you don't mind getting your feet wet.

Beautiful lake. The flooded area with aspens at the far side of the lake actually felt kind of magical to wade through on a sunny day. Easy walk with big scenery, would come back for sure.

Nice easy walk around convict lake. There was some flooded areas and crossing logs and rocks from high water inflow into the lake.

Pretty views, though it seems to be busy on the w/e. Bridge zing the creek (SW end of the lake) is out, so you will get wet feet. Keep an eye out for golden eagles.

Did this nice walk around the lake yesterday (5/24/18) overall it is def an easy hike with absolutely gorgeous views. Currently on the west side with all the streams, the path is submerged due to high runoff and you have to cross via downed logs. If that’s not your thing, a simple turning back the way you came from would be in order, but it was kinda adventurous!

Great trail with outstanding views of the surrounding mountains. The trail was very nice and thare wer pepole fishing the lake. The trail was nice and easy to follow.

Super easy hike, even for a family with kids. Such beauty everywhere you look. Must do, if in the Convict Lake area. It took a lot longer than needed, only because I was taking it all in.

Beautiful hike around convict lake. Easy and well maintained trail.

Fun and easy for any age

Beautiful and peaceful

Hiked the loop Sat 3/31/18. Started on the north side, totally clear until the meadow, from the meadow on increasingly snowy on the trail until the visible avalanche area on the south side, pretty slow going but passable in boots, beautiful day, sunny and clear, love this trail 5/5 year round :)

it was a great hike easy for the kiddos and very beautiful..

Nice and easy hike with our 2 small dogs (avoid summer as there is no shade especially for dogs )

nice and easy hike! too bad we came in November, otherwise the trees and the lake would be more beautiful in sight!

Beautiful hike! Easy terrain in a breath taking location . Great place to take the family and spend a bit of quality time.

Beautiful easy hike! Highly recommend

Lovely views. We had a great time with our dog there.

Very beautiful in fall, easy hike~

Trees were in full fall color. Great trail with plenty of lake access on the southwest (?) side.

Awesome especially in fall!

Awesome especially in fall!

Great easy hike, absolutely beautiful lake, bridge was washed out but made for a great reason to splash in the cool water on a summers day!

Beautiful Views. The far west there is running streams and you will get wet, not too bad.

All Time Favorite Trail...many childhood memories here. Great Family Hike...bring a picnic lunch and your fishing poles. This trail also leads to other backcountry hiking trails for longer overnight backpacking trips. Done that as well.

We took a side trip to Mammoth after Yosemite and were looking for an easy hike. This hike has a stunning backdrop! We stopped often to just stare at the majestic mountains. The trail is very easy and well maintained until you reach the back where the water has washed the trail away and is still flowing strong. Some chose to turn around. We went through and it was cold, rocky, semi deep and a blast! Check weather! We got caught in a pretty intense thunderstorm! High country so easy hike still requires being prepared.

It was one of the stranger hikes I've been on for sure! I was enjoying the amazing scenery when I came upon a couple fornicating on the big log near the marina turnoff. The rest of the walk was uneventful but I did come across at least 3 piles of human feces. I was warned about that but didn't believe it. Have respect!

We did the full loop around the lake on July 26th. We wore water shoes and were able to easily cross the water at the upper end of the loop. It added to the fun of the hike. I agree with earlier poster "Fin Debo" that the water never went above the knee. The mud mentioned by an earlier poster wasn't a problem. We never sank more than 1/2 an inch.

This is a fun hike, very easy. As of today the back half is still washed out due to all the rain.

I did this trail a few days ago, beautiful mountain and lake for sure! About halfway through the trail it does become mostly washed out so you can either turn around or troop through it like I did. The current isn't too strong and the water is mostly below the knee.. I think this part made the hike more fun!! :)

I started the trail from the path across from the campground and went right. It wasn't far from the trailhead. By the time we hit the boardwalk we were so invested in the loop we went through the washed out area. The water never went above my knees, and I found places in the mud where my feet didn't sink under. Dogs and small children likely need to be carried or held on to, bring extra socks and have fun with it. It turned out to make the hike even more fun.