Convict Lake Loop Trail

Convict Lake Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

All Time Favorite Trail...many childhood memories here. Great Family Hike...bring a picnic lunch and your fishing poles. This trail also leads to other backcountry hiking trails for longer overnight backpacking trips. Done that as well.

We took a side trip to Mammoth after Yosemite and were looking for an easy hike. This hike has a stunning backdrop! We stopped often to just stare at the majestic mountains. The trail is very easy and well maintained until you reach the back where the water has washed the trail away and is still flowing strong. Some chose to turn around. We went through and it was cold, rocky, semi deep and a blast! Check weather! We got caught in a pretty intense thunderstorm! High country so easy hike still requires being prepared.

It was one of the stranger hikes I've been on for sure! I was enjoying the amazing scenery when I came upon a couple fornicating on the big log near the marina turnoff. The rest of the walk was uneventful but I did come across at least 3 piles of human feces. I was warned about that but didn't believe it. Have respect!

We did the full loop around the lake on July 26th. We wore water shoes and were able to easily cross the water at the upper end of the loop. It added to the fun of the hike. I agree with earlier poster "Fin Debo" that the water never went above the knee. The mud mentioned by an earlier poster wasn't a problem. We never sank more than 1/2 an inch.

This is a fun hike, very easy. As of today the back half is still washed out due to all the rain.

I did this trail a few days ago, beautiful mountain and lake for sure! About halfway through the trail it does become mostly washed out so you can either turn around or troop through it like I did. The current isn't too strong and the water is mostly below the knee.. I think this part made the hike more fun!! :)

I started the trail from the path across from the campground and went right. It wasn't far from the trailhead. By the time we hit the boardwalk we were so invested in the loop we went through the washed out area. The water never went above my knees, and I found places in the mud where my feet didn't sink under. Dogs and small children likely need to be carried or held on to, bring extra socks and have fun with it. It turned out to make the hike even more fun.

Great hike for our entire family. Our kids all enjoyed it, ages 10, 9, 8 and 2.5 (she did get tired and packed for a good portion of it, but had a blast throwing rocks otherwise!). You can't go all the way around right now due to mud at the far end, but out and back was nice.

Our family did this hike yesterday. This is our third year hiking convict lake. It is a beautiful hike but unfortunately we were not able to hike around the entire lake. At about the half way point we were unable to continue due to the large runoff from mountain, crossing was too dangerous... rapid currents. Lots of mosquitos is this area also.
The highlight of our hike was a deer who walked out on path right in front of us. :-)

Too much of the trail is absolutely covered in horse crap.

Did this hike on Sunday 7/9 and the bridge is still partially washed out.

We just did this Trail, which was great. However if you park in the main lot and travel clockwise around the lake, approximately 25% of the way in, the entire Trail is washed out in two separate places, requiring you to wade through stream water at approximately knee hi depth.. The current is very strong and it is a difficult passing for anyone unsteady on their feet or wearing the wrong foot wear. Many people turned back. We proceeded on and the rest of the hike was awesome.