Confluence Trail

Confluence Trail is a 3.4 mile out and back trail located near Auburn, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great final descent section of what is becoming known as a mountain biking destination for NorCal. Just have to watch out for the hikers that are unaware this is predominantly used by mountain bikers.

Wouldn’t hike this trail again. Not much shade. River is a long ways down. Not accessible except at the start. All up hill.

Beautiful hike. It’s not a long hike so the end came quickly. Love that you can see the river the entire hike. However, lots of mountain bikers. I nearly jumped off the trail because of how fast they were coming. Just be careful not to jump off the trail and down the river. Lol. My sister-in-law and I took an extra mile and a half down Mammoth bar road till we reached Murderers Gulch. We went down to the river and found a small beach which was really nice. Water was around 47 degrees at the time we went. I would do this again definitely just with more precautions from mountain bikers.

This was a really beautiful hike that was easy to access. Only knocked off a star because of the number of bicycles. We encountered two deer as we came around a bend. Would have loved to take a pic so close up but two seconds later five bikes screamed through sending the deer careening into the brush.

The trail itself is easy and really pretty but the downfall is dealing with all of the mountain bikes. There are places to jump out of the way through most of the trail but space is very limited in a couple of areas.

Parking can be tricky but the walk is lovely with awesome views of the river and nice rock formations. My 8 and 10 year old loved it. Some good geocaching along the trails too.

pretty sites. not a lot of parking.

Got there 8:45 not a lot of people but on the way back was busy. I think we will explore more of this area. The ferns and moss were beautiful on the trail beyond the marina. Really good hike

Great views, watch out for periodic mountain bikers cruising down

Nice views but way too many mountain bikers zooming by to really enjoy it

Very narrow and dangerous

Fun & easy hike with some great views!

This trail is gorgeous and I would not classify it as easy based on the narrow path and the multi use with bikes. I actually freaked out at the beginning because it is single track and a steep drop off to the river. Passing a bike would have been dicey. If you are a Scary cat like me - just go across the street to the clementine trail. That trail is marked moderate - but only because of the uphill. I prefer the uphill to the drop off to the river bed any day.

Great hike! Nice views of the river for a majority of the trip. A moderate climb up on the way out and nice gradual downhill on the way back. A good balance of shade and sun, but definitely bring at least some water to keep hydrated if you are going during the summer months/hotter days. Moderately easy hike and would go again! $10 dollar day use fee

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

First time to hike the Confluence Trail and will come back only will start earlier than 10 a.m. on a hot summer day due to minimal shade. Beautiful vistas of river for for first half and only had to step aside for 3 mountain bikers. Gradual elevation, trail well marked.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

This was my first time hiking in Auburn State Recreation Area. This hike offered enough scenery and wildlife to entertain my family. Friendly bike riders and trail runners. Will totally do it again.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Great, easy hike with kids. Toward the end there is a little trail down to the river and a fantastic swimming hole where the current is minimal, crossing the river is easy (even for my 8 year old) and there's a big rock on the other side that's easy to climb and perfect for jumping off of.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Definitely go early during the summer. Extremely warm. Look out for rattlesnakes on trail.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Setting and river views are amazing. BUT the trail has many narrow areas with steep drops to the river on one side. Also, there are many bikers on this trail that make the walk a lot less pleasant. Actually, it was anxiety filled - we watched a biker fall and nearly end up in the canyon. I'd advice you pick a different trail - one which does not allow bikes or one wide enough to accommodate both. This one did not.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Easy day hike. small falls & the river. Nice trail for horses. Easy access to trail. Not a lot of shade on this trail so may not want to be out in the afternoon on a hot day.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Awesome view!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Awesome trail. Friendly people all around. Only saw one snake and of course the incredible views this trail offers

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Brought our German Shepherd and it was great!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Good trails.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Thin and wet with mild elevation change. Nice walk.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful hike. I did it with my three kids, 4, 8 & 10
and they managed it well in spite of steep drop offs towards the river below and mountain bikers coming through. If you pay attention it's no problem but other trails would be more relaxing if you do have young kids. I had my 4yr old within arms reach the entire time, and I would usually let him wander a little more. It was a fantastic day for us!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

This area near Auburn is beautiful. There are multiple trails leading in all directions and are of varying altitude. The people are friendly, parking is cheap only $10 for day use, and is dog friendly with river access by way of walking. Biking is also recommended. Many cyclists were out today and the trails had plently of room for everyone.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

It was the first beautiful day we've had in a long time and this hike with my 3 year old grandson was just what we needed!

Thursday, January 26, 2017

This trail 4 miles go and back it nive view

Friday, January 20, 2017

Beautiful hike & run along the Middle Fork of the American River. River was swollen, and some erosion of the trail made for a couple dangerous spots.