Cone Peak to Surprise Falls

Cone Peak to Surprise Falls is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good for an overnight at Trailsprings or Ojito Camp, but certainly do-able in an ambitious day. Start at the Cone Peak Trailhead and pick up on this trail at the base of the cone peak summit trail.

Tried a there and back day hike, and the info is WAY off in regards to distance. We were running out day light and headed back. We ended up doing 12 miles and 4000+ feet of gain. So this hike is short of 15 miles, but totally worth it. We are planning on going back and starting a bit sooner. Would be ideal to do this in two days, so that you may enjoy the epic views.

I was determined to hike the river until I saw some waterfalls and I did! It takes some serious scrambling to get to the bottom of it, but can be done cautiously and safely.