Cone Peak Summit Trail

Cone Peak Summit Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,676 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Not a bay day hike or overnight, be prepared for the mosquitos and bring plenty of water.

Go super early in the am or suffer through a lot of exposure. Also, do it with fresh legs. Incredible views from the top.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Fantastic trail. Went from H1 to Cone Peak Summit in a day. It was about 12 miles all uphill. Make sure to get water at the first camp because the spring on the San Antonio trail is dry and very overgrown as of October 13, 2018. Great views all the way. I camped on the Firewatch station with my one person ten, the station helped reduced the amount of wind. Don't sleep without a tent, years of people leaving their food/ trash up there has caused a rat problem at night. Other then that I cant wait to go back.

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Scenery: 3 Views: 4 Difficulty: 3 Crowds: 2 Shade: 1 My 1-5 Rating Scale Comparisons for above: 5 for Scenery; Mcway Falls Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP 4.5 for Scenery: Berry Creek Falls Big Basin State Park 4 for Scenery: Steep Ravine Trail 5 for Views: Nimitz Trail Tilden Park 5 for Views: Ridge Trail San Bruno Mtn Park 4.5 for Views Montara Mtn Summit San Pedro County Park 4 for Views Rancho Canada Del Oro Bald Peaks trail 5 for Difficulty: Junipero Serra Peak 4 for Difficulty: Mount El Sombroso Loop Trail

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Spectacular views, wildflowers, very well maintained trails. I backpacked for 3 days and did about 10 miles a day. I parked on Highway 1 across from Kirk Creek campground and backpacked to Vicente flats on night 1. Great, big open camping areas under the redwoods with stone rings for fires. Day two I stayed at Ojito camp. Don’t do it. It sucks. There are several places to camp along the trail that are not on the map that would have been better. As of July 4, there were a few creek crossings where you can get fresh water. Wouldn’t have made it otherwise.

Thursday, July 12, 2018

We hiked this trail on the Fourth of July and were surprised to only see one other hiker the entire day. The trail is in good shape, although it crosses a few active slides in places and you'll want to watch your footing. There is a lot of poison oak along the first mile of the trail, but it's easily avoided. Views from the summit are spectacular! We took an extended break at the old lookout and watched the fog starting to burn off below us, revealing views straight down to the Highway 1 bridge at Limekiln State Park.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Astounding views, steep but reasonably graded; be careful with footing as exposure towards the peak is steep. Cool chance to see rareSanta Lucia firs towards the peak, as well.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Great hike with awesome views. Note– the last couple miles of driving to the trailhead has some big bumps that made for some close calls in our Audi A4 hatchback. We made it out unscathed, but there were some sketchy moments. There were other non-SUVs up there too, so you wouldn't be alone, and you definitely would come across help after a 15 minutes max should you have a problem. This was a nice length. We stopped for lunch at the top for 20 mins or so. Roundtrip total with stops for views, food, flowers and lizards, give yourself about 2.5 hours just to be safe!

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Hiked from Nacimiento-Fergusson rd, as Coast Ridge rd is still closed, making it about 16 miles round trip if you believe the signs. The views are fantastic and despite the road being closed, the road and trail were well maintained. Distance aside (12 of the 16 miles), the road to the trailhead is flat and easy. Last mile on the trail is all switchbacks with lots of exposure, which makes the shade at the fire lookout up top, coupled with some amazing panoramic views, feel euphoric. Glad to have been here to celebrate earth day.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Went with a group of all skill levels. Found it to be a very scenic day trip, with ocean views during the majority of it. The last 6 Miles of the drive there is on a dirt road that may be difficult for vehicles with low clearance. One the best scenic hikes in the Los Padres. Trail was well maintained.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

I did this trail with my dog. it was a beautiful hike with amazing views. the trail was well-maintained and we didn't see a another person on the trail.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Beautiful hike with views of the mountains and the coast. Gradual climb along the cliffs. Very enjoyable.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Trail was in great condition, the view from the top is incredible.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

We did this hike last May. The switchbacks going up are a little rugged, but the views really are worth it. I saw some quail on the way up, and there were beautiful wildflowers all over. Definitely need to bring some water, most of the trail is out in the open. There are some cool car camping spots on the way up too, with their own awesome views.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fantastic trail! Enjoy the drive up to the trail head. Park off the road and take the switchbacks up to the top at the look out tower. Absolutely stunning view of Big Sur and beyond. Bring your cameras!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

I'm going to start by saying that this mixed review has some very good parts to it, so please read on! My friend and I started onto the Vicente Flat trail from Kirk Creek for a 3-day adventure into the Ventana Wilderness. The first 45 minutes of the trail were full of amazing views and moderate-to-strenuous switchbacks that may make any first-time backpacker a little weary right out the gate. It was the beginning of May for us and we hit the trailhead at around 5pm and made it to the first campsite about 2.5 mi in before sundown. We made camp at Espinoza, just deep enough in to rub elbows with the redwoods but still getting some peek-a-boo views of the ocean. There was a spring about 200 feet from the camp which made things a lot easier. Not a lot of deadwood around and what was around was pretty wet. Next day we hiked into Vicente Flat camp, which was another 2 mi in and greener. We made camp right in the grove there and had a creek to draw all the water we needed from. Shaded and quiet, there was one other overnight group in the site, which we hadn't expected being there on a weekend. That afternoon we set out for Cone Peak. All I can say is that while the view at the end was pretty spectacular, the journey up was aesthetically deficient. A brutal climb up and no water on the way so if you do make the trip, be sure to bring a couple canteens with you. Also the higher you get up, the drier it gets so there are ticks everywhere. Bring lots of repellent and/or cover up. All in all an amazing time, but if I could do it all over again, I would have probably skipped Cone Peak and taken another shaded option.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A friend and I just hiked the San Vicente trail back in September and it was gorgeous. It starts at Highway 1 and you gain elevation pretty quick but the views from above the fog looking into infinity are definitely worth it. We didn't quit make it to Cone Peak but the Vicente Flat campground is a nice little redwood grove about 5 miles in. Good day hike, or you can camp along the trail if you want to take it easy. Great experience overall! It seems the trail we took isn't on the app tho :/ ...the trailhead is next to the campground that's nearby on Highway 1.

Saturday, August 04, 2018