Condor Peak Trail

Condor Peak Trail is a 13.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tujunga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

NOTE: Part of this trail is on a very steep ridge.

I love this trail and will definitely keep this one in rotation. Went on a Thursday morning; it was quiet and there was only one other group hiking this trail, so I’ll assume it doesn’t get crowded here. Most of the way up is pretty easy, until you get to the steep part of the peak where you’ll have to use ropes to walk/climb the rest of the way up. The views from the top are breathtaking!

FYI - this is the same trail/head as Fox Mountain, at marker 4.50 on Big Tujunga, only apparently you continue on for another nearly 3 miles. For some reason Google maps has the Condor Peak trailhead up the road a mile or so and so you'll end up doubling back over a short peak with a flat dirt helipad something or other. Apart from that i can only comment on the few miles i had time for, which was mildly stressful due to the frequent drops off the side of the trail. A more detailed review to come when i finish it's entirety, which looks to be quite enticing and remote.

Another great hike. I only saw one other group of people on it on my way back. I hiked b myself with 2 dogs and we had a lot of fun. The trail is in a god condition, occasionally you will have to jump over a fallen tree or watch your step but overall the trail is well maintained. To walk to the Condor peak you just have to ho straight up the mountain from the trailhead

When I went, a good portion of the trail approaching Condor Peak was too washed out and over grown to pass safely (especially alone, I agree with previous hiker, bring at least one, but ideally two or more other people for safety). After a number of passes that were nothing but 45 degree slopes of loose gravel ending in a sharp drop into the canyon, which were hard to get a foothold on, I turned back at about 6 miles in, when the trail required that I cling to a tree while scooting across a narrow outcropping rock not even as wide as my foot, with nothing but a sheer drop below. I missed Condor Peak this time, but will be heading back out to approach it from Trail Canyon trail over Iron Saddle next time.

Also, at mile marker 4.50, when you enter the trail head, look immediately to your right for a sharp uphill trial passing under some overgrowth. This short trail meets up with the main trail after about .5 miles, and saves about 3 miles round trip.

Amazing trek! BUT - the above description leaves out the fact that the first one third of the trail is on the ridge - giving to extreme drops with heavily throned brush covering the majority of the trail - and you know a Brotha is afraid of heights! Lol.
But once you get into the mountain range itself - fairly smooth sailing. The summit is a bit confusing as there are no markers - I went past what I now believe was the peak, onto a higher peak with a not-so-safe trail; which totaled my in-and-out to be approx 17 miles.
But thank God for AllTrails GPS - Amazingly accurate - and keeps you on course- with the exception of where this trail actually summits
Very hard trek - one should not go alone because of the drops

Very nice and clean trail, but really hard enjoyed it. view is beautiful. But you found one or two people going up and dow lot of water and please don't bring's too hot for them, it's not any shade at all.

Friday, March 17, 2017