Cold Spring Trail Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(200)
Gould Park

Cold Spring Trail Loop [CLOSED] is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 912 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

closed

Note: As of June 2019, fire and floods have damaged many of the trails in the area. All the trails are open with the exception of Cold Springs. You can hike Cold Springs Trail from the top. The roads leading to the trails are closed, but you can park down the road and hike it up. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

Soooo many rattlesnakes. We saw 3 in one small area by the creek and turned around.

Nice waterfalls!

excelente para pasar un buen rato

Trail is reopened and perfect for a hot California day. Cool off in the river surrounded by large rocks and lush vegetation. Can do this trail as a loop which is my favorite. Start at the right to get a sunny workout in, then end by the river. Street parking.

Great morning hike with some moderate hills. Dog friendly and friendly humans along the way. Glad it’s open!

recorded Saddle Rock Trail

Hike with Elizabeth, Julie, and Chip! Awesome!

Technically the road to the trail head is closed in both directions, but you can park a little ways down the road and if the construction crew is feeling nice they will pause their work to let you walk by. I hiked the trail in the clockwise direction, which I would definitely recommend her so that you are heading uphill where there is trees, shade, and the creek. Then you will be heading down hill where it’s sunny with no shade. I hike with my two dogs, and we almost went through 4 out of 5L of water I brought, so come prepared. Nice ocean view from the top, but the hills are really dry and dusty right now. Nice, quick hike though, and looks like somebody cut it back recently, it is not overgrown at all.

trail is clearly actively maintained. dog got a bit hot as some parts are pretty exposed from the sun in the later part of the day. an okay hike but better views can be found elsewhere, but nice wildflowers (lots of daisies)

Sun Mar 31 2019

Mon Feb 18 2019

Absolutely loved this trail!! I took a few loops because I just wanted to keep going. Hot springs are beautiful and highly recommended to stop at. Bring a wind breaker with a hood for the windy sections! Enjoy!!!

Mon Dec 10 2018

I hiked this with my dog the other day. Yes, it does say the trail is closed, however we pushed on. The trail is actually very well maintained, which makes me wonder why it's still technically closed. This hike is fairly easy and moderately trafficked. There are many parts of the trail that are covered, so even on a sunny day you should be alright. It's not my favorite hike, by any means, but definitely a fun one to check off the list and take your pup.

Sat Oct 27 2018

The trail is closed! Super disappointed I was not aware of this before I made my trek over there.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Nice views but trail definitely needs work- very hard to follow at times. We found ourselves sliding on dirt and having to whack through bushes.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Great loop! New growth there is nice to see!

Wed Apr 25 2018

Hiked trail this past Sunday. The fire and subsequent mudslide have devastated the trail. It will need our help to restore it.

Sat Feb 03 2018

I took grief for 1 star, it used to be 5, and will be again I hope. It's very sad, the road and trail head is gone from the mud slide. The trails (East and West) are closed and it doesn't look like they will re-open any time soon. I suppose you can bushwhack your way in but they clearly don't want you there.

Sat Nov 25 2017

not very pleasant descent - dust with small rocks

Mon Nov 20 2017

Fri Nov 17 2017

Went two days ago... great for a beginner

Sun Oct 22 2017

Start with a jog and enjoy!

Thu Oct 12 2017

Nice trail pretty nice terrain not too rocky. We did Edison catwalk loop, the sign is now again at the top. I loved the shade and sun in the mid day fall, not too hot! Beautiful views and trails.

Fri Sep 29 2017

Ocean view, woods, water, bolders to play on, some elevation, all in all a great little loop trail.

Fri Aug 18 2017

Nice and easy hike! Took the back way up for a bit of a steeper climb and more rock climbing!

Mon Jul 10 2017

Absolutely beautiful hike. A little treacherous on the way down towards the end due to dry loose soil, so just watch your step. My dog loved it, too!

Fri Jun 09 2017

DONE! ; )

Sat Jun 03 2017

I decided to start building up to backpack camping with my 8 yr old and see how well we would do with a full load. Testing the waters. All went well. Good hike for kids. Definitely start on the trail next to the creek.

Fri May 19 2017

It's a beautiful hike. There are two entry points for the traiI. I suggest starting the 2.2 loop at the Cold Spring Trail sign to the left beside the stream. The trail is lush with greenery and well shaded. It's a steady, scenic climb to the top which reveals breathtaking city and coastal views of Santa Barbara. I slipped a few times on the way down so be mindful of various loose rocks. Overall it's a well worth the effort!

Wed May 10 2017

Good view from the top and decent elevation gain for such a short hike. Great spot for a quick little excursion.

Thu Apr 27 2017

Beautiful views.

Sat Apr 22 2017

Paths get a tad confusing when crossing streams, but the views from your hiking efforts are certainly worth it! Started our family hike on a Saturday morning @ 8:30, little traffic and it was fun to see dogs getting wet in the streams on the way up.