Codfish Falls Trail

Codfish Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

partially paved

fee

This hike is amazing right in early spring before the creeks dry up and the flowers and grass are gone. There are a couple side trails down to the river, and in summer it is great for swimming. Great hike. It's narrow, so weekends (when the trail is more crowded) are not ideal, but doable. The road to get there is a very difficult drive. Ideally you will have 4WD or a car with clearance. Signage at the trailhead limits parking. The only place to park is the side of the road and, on weekends, the line of cars can get long enough to block part of the road. If you do this, you are risking a ticket. $10 to park.

The warnings about the road should not be taken lightly. SUV not little cross-over cars. After the exciting descent to the bridge, the trail was great. Distance posted is 1.7 from bridge to falls for a round trip of 3.4. Not another soul on the trail when we went (it was pretty hot). Our 8, 9 and 15 year old girls all made the trek. Pools at the falls are cool and a nice relief from the sun and heat. Blackberry plants everywhere at the falls too. Lots of folks jumping off the bridge into the river. I would t recommend that, but the swim under the bridge was awesome. 4 stars because the drive took longer than the hike.

AWD with clearance or 4x4 definitely needed. Easy trail with beautiful waterfall and good swimming spots along river.

driving there you will need a 4x4. we didn't know this and took our family van with the kids and had to turn back around.

I hike often using AllTrails and this hike so far has definitely been one of our favorites. The drive down I would agree is a bit much for anything but an SUV or truck although you can make it down in a car very slowly. The trail is a bit narrow which drops down enough to do some serious damage. The hike is full of butterflies and wild flowers. Although I'm sure there are ticks and snakes we did not experience that issue. Once you get to the waterfalls it's beautiful. Tons of shade and places to relax and enjoy the water. My suggestion would to bring water shoes. It will help get to some other places further down the falls. This place is a must see.

Nice easy hike along the beautiful river. Great view. Shady/sun 50/50. Great spring floral to see. Easy mostly flat terrain. Falls makes for a sweet end to the trail. Road down is fairly washed out from the rains. Recommend AWD with good clearance. Downside: Be prepared for ticks. Lots of ticks in the area and they don’t discriminate between pets and humans. Which it’s quite unpleasant. Highly recommend having pets on tick medication and for people to wear long sleeves and pants and consider using some form of bug repellent.

I really wanted to love this hike. The drive down the dirt road in my sentra was one of the most difficult driving experiences of my life. It took us over an hour each way. the hike was beautiful, but the trail is narrow and NOT good for kids. My kid fell off the trail and my mom hands saved her from serious injury. Tons of poison oak. TONS. It was not a relaxing trip and I would not go back unless I was with only adults and we had a truck/SUV.

Spring is best time to go or arrive early in Summer. Trail is 50 /50 full sun, shade. Path is clearly defined so great for kids and dogs on leashes. Bring tick remover and lavender oil, found several on dogs. The road there requires a 4WD and I suspect in fall/winter washes out during rainy days. I took my Forester and had moments of uncertainty driving it in Spring. Butterflies, flowers, lizards, frogs and even long snakes to see. The waterfall was beautiful and a nice way to end the trail. Highly recommend but only rated 4 stars due to limited accessibility for everyone

We did this trail yesterday! Awesome hike! Super bloom in full effect, waterfalls at its peak, and River was roaring ! Dirt road to get there was a little sketchy, recommend high clearance vehicles! Trail head starts near the bridge where the restroom is located! We walked the opposite side before finding the hidden trail sign! But definitely a fantastic beautiful hike this time of year! :)

The paved road coming in turns into a dirt road that should really only be taken with an off road vehicle or truck. It’s a ways down the dirt road but worth the drive. The drive down is beautiful. The trail is to the right of the bridge. The hike was easy and suitable for kids as I had my 9 year old and 20 mth old in my hiking backpack. We also brought our dog. The waterfall was so beautiful and the shallow swimming holes were a treat after the hike to get there. There was 1 picnic table and a few out houses.

This trail was great and amazing today. The poppies were in bloom and the black monarch butterflies were out. I dunked myself in the lower pool below codfish falls. I took my 3 year old and my 80 year old parents as well. Along with my 6, 8, and 10 year old boys. The falls were roaring. The temperature was perfect 80° and we were the only ones there!

Good for a fun day hike - Flat and easy. Good views of the American River. Small waterfall was a nice reward for the nasty drive to get to the trail head, 4 Wheel drive with high clearance only.

Great hike beautiful flowers and butterflies. Amazing waterfalls! My daughter caught quite a few frogs and I caught a garden snake. Road down isn't bad but I would definitely drive down in a truck. Not a lot of places to park. Get there early. A lot of poison oak on the trail watch out.

Great spring hike.

Loved this hike. Easy trail along the river. Exactly 1.5 miles to the falls which right now is gushing with water! Fantastic falls for the Auburn area. We found two TICKS. So be on the look out for those. The drive to the trailhead is mostly off roading. Wouldn’t recommend bringing a small car. SUVs will have a bumpy ride. Preferable road to trucks and off roading vehicles. My 2005 Ford Escape made it!

Quick, easy, flat hike. River was high, and the creek/waterfall was flowing high as well. Road going in is paved part of the way, and then very bad dirt road for about 2.5 miles past that. You don't NEED a truck to get to the trailhead, but that's the easiest way - we did it in a raised AWD station wagon, and that was fine.

Wed Sep 26 2018

Even though it is dry in late September the waterfall was still active. There are some nice water holes to cool off in too. Good short hike, with a rough drive in. Drive out was easier since we were going uphill. Coming back in the spring!

Sat Sep 08 2018

Dogs are allowed, and the drive down is great just have a good SUV. Also, very remote with no cell coverage.

Tue Jul 24 2018

The final 2.5 mile drive to the base of this canyon- and where the trailhead begins- is difficult to drive. There is not any true designated parking area, so most vehicles just park along the side of this dirt road. There is a sign next to the bridge & bathrooms directing you toward Codfish Falls Trail, which we set out on and hiked for about 45 minutes before we came to a very dry creek bed and a bunch of homemade stick signs pointing us to go back

Sat Apr 21 2018

Beautiful shaded trail, creek and waterfalls are a nice treat. Currently closed.

Tue Feb 13 2018

Attempted this hike this past weekend. Access is closed right now. :(

Sat Feb 10 2018

You CANNOT go in through the Auburn side. The road is blocked 2.7 miles from trailhead and it says NO public. We made the mistake of trying. 02-10-18

Sun Nov 26 2017

clean beautiful hike. long dirt road in.

Wed Nov 22 2017

Beautiful hike! The ride after the paved road requires a car that can handle steep and uneven terrain. We parked on a flat area about 1.4 miles from the trailhead and just walked in.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Son really enjoyed this hike. River offers nice backdrop to a pleasant walk. Very little traffic during week, when we went.

Mon Aug 28 2017

This trail is best for cooler weather or early mornings. We went at 8:30am in August and it was HOT. The first half (approx.) of the trail is in full sun, the second half is under the trees and shaded but there were some gnat-like bugs in the shaded areas. The falls are small at that time but still there. There is a $10 parking fee at the trailhead and parking is limited. Mostly trucks on the road, saw one car. Road is smooth dirt at the beginning but some rough potholes/ditches towards the bottom. The trail follows along the river so swimming is available also. Signs showed dogs on-leash. Overall we enjoyed the hike and would do it again, but after the rains.