Codfish Falls Trail

Codfish Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

cave

This hike is amazing right in early spring before the creeks dry up and the flowers and grass are gone. There are a couple side trails down to the river, and in summer it is great for swimming. Great hike. It's narrow, so weekends (when the trail is more crowded) are not ideal, but doable. The road to get there is a very difficult drive. Ideally you will have 4WD or a car with clearance. Signage at the trailhead limits parking. The only place to park is the side of the road and, on weekends, the line of cars can get long enough to block part of the road. If you do this, you are risking a ticket. $10 to park.

clean beautiful hike. long dirt road in.

Beautiful hike! The ride after the paved road requires a car that can handle steep and uneven terrain. We parked on a flat area about 1.4 miles from the trailhead and just walked in.

Son really enjoyed this hike. River offers nice backdrop to a pleasant walk. Very little traffic during week, when we went.

This trail is best for cooler weather or early mornings. We went at 8:30am in August and it was HOT. The first half (approx.) of the trail is in full sun, the second half is under the trees and shaded but there were some gnat-like bugs in the shaded areas. The falls are small at that time but still there. There is a $10 parking fee at the trailhead and parking is limited. Mostly trucks on the road, saw one car. Road is smooth dirt at the beginning but some rough potholes/ditches towards the bottom. The trail follows along the river so swimming is available also. Signs showed dogs on-leash. Overall we enjoyed the hike and would do it again, but after the rains.

Hike itself and area is beautiful, the effort to get there though was absolutely terrifying. I have a honda and did not read the fine print about unmaintained dirt road- it is seriously filled with potholes and it felt like I was going to slide off the road at multiple points. Would not recommend if you don't have an SUV or truck. Past that this is a pretty eery feeling hike.

Super remote trail, gravel road access and very hard to with a car. The trail it's self was beautiful but getting there was semi hard and that's the only downside.

7/15/17: Ponderosa Rd is currently closed on the Foresthill side but you can reach the bridge and trailhead from the Weimar side. Recommend using a high clearance vehicle to make it down to the bridge and trailhead on the rough dirt/gravel road. Beautiful this year after all the winter storms. Fairly easy hike but it is hot this time of year.

7/8/17: Road to get down to trail-head is currently closed due to erosion. We drove out to discover the closure and had to come up with a backup plan. I've heard it's a fun hike so looking forward to revising my review once the road is opened again!

This was my first hike after moving to the area a couple days ago and it was a perfect first hike. You do have to drive down an un-maintained road for a couple miles but it is totally worth it. The first part of the trail is along the American River and then when the trail steers away from it, you get to the falls and they are beautiful! We were the only ones on the trail and we sat down on the rocks by the fall and enjoyed the water. Most of the trail is pretty shaded which was nice. Overall- I really enjoyed this way trail!

Hiked 5/27/2017: This hike was okay. The 2 mile drive down was a complete nightmare in our Corolla, took about 30 minutes. That alone would make me rethink going. We went Memorial Day weekend and there was no parking; we got "lucky" and parked sideways. $10 fee. Beware: they do give parking tickets if you're in a no parking zone. Hike itself was short for the amount of effort to get there, but it's nice hiking along the river and going to the waterfall at the end.

Beautiful hike with river, falls & wildflowers. The 2 mile dirt road in is pretty rough. $10 to park. Not a lot of parking if it's busy.

Great hike. It's narrow, so weekends are not ideal, but doable. The road to get there is complete crap. Beware. And!!... They just put signage up to limit parking. The only place to park is the side of the road and, on weekends, the line of cars can get long enough to block part of the road. The ranger told me today that he is going to start ticketing people. A lot of people. I said, even after driving that crappy road to get here, if there is no parking up to the sign, we have to leave? Yep. All that said, I'd be sad if I never found this trail. Beautiful. My son and dog love it, too.