Codfish Falls Trail [CLOSED]

Codfish Falls Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

cave

closed

This hike is amazing right in early spring before the creeks dry up and the flowers and grass are gone. There are a couple side trails down to the river, and in summer it is great for swimming. Great hike. It's narrow, so weekends (when the trail is more crowded) are not ideal, but doable. The road to get there is a very difficult drive. Ideally you will have 4WD or a car with clearance. Signage at the trailhead limits parking. The only place to park is the side of the road and, on weekends, the line of cars can get long enough to block part of the road. If you do this, you are risking a ticket. $10 to park.

Beautiful shaded trail, creek and waterfalls are a nice treat. Currently closed.

Attempted this hike this past weekend. Access is closed right now. :(

You CANNOT go in through the Auburn side. The road is blocked 2.7 miles from trailhead and it says NO public. We made the mistake of trying. 02-10-18

clean beautiful hike. long dirt road in.

Beautiful hike! The ride after the paved road requires a car that can handle steep and uneven terrain. We parked on a flat area about 1.4 miles from the trailhead and just walked in.

Son really enjoyed this hike. River offers nice backdrop to a pleasant walk. Very little traffic during week, when we went.

This trail is best for cooler weather or early mornings. We went at 8:30am in August and it was HOT. The first half (approx.) of the trail is in full sun, the second half is under the trees and shaded but there were some gnat-like bugs in the shaded areas. The falls are small at that time but still there. There is a $10 parking fee at the trailhead and parking is limited. Mostly trucks on the road, saw one car. Road is smooth dirt at the beginning but some rough potholes/ditches towards the bottom. The trail follows along the river so swimming is available also. Signs showed dogs on-leash. Overall we enjoyed the hike and would do it again, but after the rains.

Hike itself and area is beautiful, the effort to get there though was absolutely terrifying. I have a honda and did not read the fine print about unmaintained dirt road- it is seriously filled with potholes and it felt like I was going to slide off the road at multiple points. Would not recommend if you don't have an SUV or truck. Past that this is a pretty eery feeling hike.

Super remote trail, gravel road access and very hard to with a car. The trail it's self was beautiful but getting there was semi hard and that's the only downside.

7/15/17: Ponderosa Rd is currently closed on the Foresthill side but you can reach the bridge and trailhead from the Weimar side. Recommend using a high clearance vehicle to make it down to the bridge and trailhead on the rough dirt/gravel road. Beautiful this year after all the winter storms. Fairly easy hike but it is hot this time of year.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

7/8/17: Road to get down to trail-head is currently closed due to erosion. We drove out to discover the closure and had to come up with a backup plan. I've heard it's a fun hike so looking forward to revising my review once the road is opened again!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This was my first hike after moving to the area a couple days ago and it was a perfect first hike. You do have to drive down an un-maintained road for a couple miles but it is totally worth it. The first part of the trail is along the American River and then when the trail steers away from it, you get to the falls and they are beautiful! We were the only ones on the trail and we sat down on the rocks by the fall and enjoyed the water. Most of the trail is pretty shaded which was nice. Overall- I really enjoyed this way trail!

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Hiked 5/27/2017: This hike was okay. The 2 mile drive down was a complete nightmare in our Corolla, took about 30 minutes. That alone would make me rethink going. We went Memorial Day weekend and there was no parking; we got "lucky" and parked sideways. $10 fee. Beware: they do give parking tickets if you're in a no parking zone. Hike itself was short for the amount of effort to get there, but it's nice hiking along the river and going to the waterfall at the end.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Beautiful hike with river, falls & wildflowers. The 2 mile dirt road in is pretty rough. $10 to park. Not a lot of parking if it's busy.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Great hike. It's narrow, so weekends are not ideal, but doable. The road to get there is complete crap. Beware. And!!... They just put signage up to limit parking. The only place to park is the side of the road and, on weekends, the line of cars can get long enough to block part of the road. The ranger told me today that he is going to start ticketing people. A lot of people. I said, even after driving that crappy road to get here, if there is no parking up to the sign, we have to leave? Yep. All that said, I'd be sad if I never found this trail. Beautiful. My son and dog love it, too.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Would've been a 5 but our 3 mile hike turned into 9. Ponderosa Rd. is closed about 3 miles from the trailhead due to rain damage. Would recommend entering from the other side. Still a beautiful hike.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Hiked 4/10/17: We came in on the Weimar side and the rocky dirt road to the trailhead is best accessed with a truck or all wheel drive vehicle. The trail was really nice and mostly narrow along the river. You do go into a well shaded area to get to the falls and the trails ends at them...and they are stunning! My friend made her way to the top of the falls, but we didn't want to attempt rock climbing...lol! There are portable restrooms at the trailhead, which are helpful. It was a short hike, but perfect for after work during the week when time is limited.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Not for the faint of heart driving on the dirt road down, nor is it for ANY car without terrific tires/good treads. Really best with a SUV with some clearance. I could see tires getting popped very easily and it is often narrow and steep. Not prime for tire-changing. The washout was bad enough that we had to walk the last part of road. A rad adventure if you aren’t worried about a shard of rock puncturing a tire!
This hike is amazing right now. (Early April) Another couple weeks and the creeks all dry up and the flowers and grass will be gone. There are a couple side trails down to the river, and in summer I bet it will be much nicer to get some river time in. Right now it is too high and dangerous. If you are going to bring dogs (it is posted NO DOGS ) at least keep them on a leash. It isn't pleasant walking some stretches of VERY narrow path with a drop off on one side and steep cliff on the other, often wet or with the path eroding and slippery, and having unleashed dogs running the trail around you. They don’t heed right-of-way and blow right past people. NOT SAFE! Be respectful. Young kids hike this trail as well as older people who just aren’t that sure footed and it is inconsiderate and selfish...on ANY trail. As an extremely fit hiker it is still very scary at times to have dogs, big and little, push past you or get caught underfoot.

I don’t often repeat trails, but I will bring my Dad out on this one before the flowers and creeks are gone. 3 stars for the amount of people, the dirt road down that keeps you praying you won't pop your tires on rocks, and the amount of unleashed dogs on a NO DOGS trail.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

To start with Ponderosa Way is closed if coming from Forest Hill. You will have to have to head up to W. Paoli Dr. And come down Ponderosa Way that direction. Dirt road is in rough shape and little cars will only be able to get so close, is what it is and all part of the adventure. Anyways this was my second time up here, last time was in the summer about 4 yrs ago. Going this time year was so worth it. The rive looked amazing and was flowing quickly, wild flowers were blooming bringing tons of butterflies & the falls were magnificent. So much water flowing down made the whole trip worth while. Do not wait too long to get out here or the Falls will not be so spectacular. Also, it is rated moderate, in my opinion, it was easy, my 7&5 year old kids did the whole thing with small packs. No sweat!!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Great trail,but the road needs a little help ! Nice to see all the wild flowers in bloom!

Friday, March 24, 2017

Such a beautiful area, wasn't aware that drive down was a dirt road! AWD car will do you good. The hike was beautiful, got a lot of mentally clarity. Must go to!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

This trail is great and pretty simple. I've hiked it in summer and spring, both good hikes. During summer the majority is shaded but the waterfall was dry. In spring the weather is great and the waterfall is beautiful. Both times I went there were only one other group and always going in the opposite direction. I highly recommend.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Road is closed on the Auburn side. Super bummed out..

Sunday, March 12, 2017

The road down to the trailhead on hwy 80 side is closed. Don't know about fortesthill side.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

1st weekend of November, 67°, the falls were flowing beautifully. Pretty rough road the last 3mi. Nice, short, and easy hike. At the end of the trail when you get close to the falls theres a fork. To the left is the bottom of Codfish falls and to the right is a steep trail that leads you to the top of the falls. Totally worth being able to chill and put your feet in the top of a waterfall with some beautiful veiws! Take both and venture down below the falls there's some pretty cool areas to explore.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

I went today for my first time and it was nice. I would like to go during the spring time to see the full waterfall because it was pretty much dried up. it's not a difficult trail at all and there was barely anyone there. The only down side to this trail is the drive down, be prepared for roughly 3 miles of a super rough bumpy dirt road. Other than that the area is really pretty and I would defiantly go again.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great being always next to the water..we took a little time out to cool off as it was 100+ degrees out that day. The waterfall was dried out..will go back in spring! The drive down was very bumpy!

Monday, September 05, 2016

was not 9 miles. but pretty.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This was a nice little trail. The dirt road you have to take to get to it is definitely bumpy all the 3+ miles down. The trail follows along the river most of the way and was a good mix of sunny and shady parts. The kids wanted to go down to the water and have our lunch on a rocky island on the way back so we did. The water was only ankle deep but I'm guessing it gets much deeper during the rainy season. Everyone had a great time and we'll probably go back again.

Monday, May 30, 2016

We went in April after a rainy week and the falls were very powerful. My 4 and 6 year olds made it without too much difficulty. The only bad thing about this hike is driving to it - the road down is very steep and narrow. We came from Folsom area so may try the back way in next time. The falls are beautiful and definitely worth it!