Coastal Trail, Miwok Trail, and Bonita Lighthouse Loop

Coastal Trail, Miwok Trail, and Bonita Lighthouse Loop is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sausalito, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,430 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

NOTE: No dogs on the Point Bonita Trail portion leading to the lighthouse. The Point Bonita Lighthouse is only open Sun-Mon 1230p-330p.

Great hike ..although I was unable to see the Point Bonita Lighthouse (closed) open Sun-Mon 1230p-330p . Weather was wonderful , not that much people traffic . Counterclockwise.

Went to brake in some new boots. Trail was more of a road and it was pretty busy. Nice variety of terrain and views.

Awesome hike. Was about 9 miles. Great views of the water. It was busy with other hikers throughout. The last couple miles there were a ton of people.

Outstanding.. so crisp and clear, so encouraging and fun.. also.. lower levels of the trails are packed with people after 10am

I went counter-clockwise, tackling the climb first. There were a few steeper parts on the Wolf Ridge portion but they were never very long - overall I’d rate the full 8.5 miles as easy/moderate. But wow I was pretty surprised by the path from Rodeo Beach up to the Bonita Lighthouse. You’re on beach/sand for a spell - wasn’t expecting that - and then there’s quite a steep, unsteady ascent up a very sandy rock outcropping. I felt very uneasy and was very worried about keeping my balance! Thankfully it was a very small portion of the overall trail and I made it up ok, but I would rate that one portion as HARD and I would never have deliberately followed that route. There’s probably a way to walk a longer way around on paved roads but I was dead set on sticking to the trail.

Nice trail, well maintained! Took us about 2.5 hours counterclockwise and was enjoyable even in the fog. Not a lot of room to walk back along Field Road from the lighthouse to the Visitor Centre. Would recommend doubling back and walking along the coastal trail along the lagoon instead.

Pretty hike around some interesting areas- but not great for a trail run. Sections were un-runnable for a variety of reasons (awkward stairs, steep slippery rocks, crowds, sand, super narrow). Then last section around the forts felt strange to include so I'd probably skip that part. But overall some great views.

This was a beautiful trail hike to take early in the morning as the fog is rolling in. If you go counterclockwise you tackle the uphill climb first and open up to beautiful views of the ocean, rodeo beach, and the city. As you wind past The beach and over the cliffs wonderful views of the Golden gate Bridge and San Francisco highlight your hike. Take the time to stop and check out the lighthouse and all that historic armaments.

Really good trail and dog friendly! There is some mountain, beach, ocean, lots of wildflowers ! Great!!

Great trail that’s dog friendly, the ending is a little strange though. You walk through rodeo beach and along a Main Street for about a mile. Otherwise amazing views.

Beautiful hike with our dog ! Great views of the beach

Amazing hike! You do walk along the road for a portion but it isn’t for too long and the road has enough room on the side so you aren’t physically on it. Definitely will do again in the future!

First day of Spring started off with a hike. we came with Peter, Ivy and the girls. It was a nice time, we saw a small dog get mauld by a bigger one.

I love this trail. Come after it rains and you'll see the wildlife come out. Came early and we walked up along the clouds/fog. The view was breathtaking. We follow the trail and went counter clockwise and was able to see the ocean while making our way down the trail. Definitely plenty to see on the west side of the trail. I would go early as this place tends to have more foot traffic as the day gets warmer. Overall, it was a good trail to get your heart rate up.

this is now one of my favorite places to go in the Bay area, but as some of the other reviewers have said, skip the loop and focus on the real hero area which is Roscoe Beach and the coastal trail. as the loop goes, the park rangers recommend a counterclockwise approach so that you are facing all the coastal views as you descend. if doing the full loop, that's right, but I now like parking at Roscoe, hiking up, playing around on the myriad of peaks and trails on the various hills, and then coming back down. also note that the out-and-back section to the lighthouse is not dog-friendly. also, yesterday, that part was closed given all the rain lately.

Beautiful hike, highly recommend making the short hike to see the Nike Missile Launch site. It’s the only one in the US still open to the public. Open Saturdays 12-4pm

This is by far the best trail I’ve had the opportunity to hike. The views are astonishing. Some parts were steep with lose rocks but overall this hike was easy. Not very crowded and very quiet. Will definitely be back several more times.

Monday, July 09, 2018

We are tied to hikes that allow dogs. We are running out of places but happy to find this trail. Coming from the East Bay in Walnut Creek it was very pleasant to have a sea breeze and a touch of fog. Not the typical trail found in the east bay. We loved it. Only managed 3 miles but a nice get away from home. Lots of birds, brown pelicans are abundant here.

Monday, July 09, 2018

Really enjoyed the first 2/3 of this trail... the steady ascent up the Miwok worked our lungs but didn’t overwhelm us, and the views as we picked up the Coastal were lovely (we were lucky enough to get a fog-free, sunny day). We were tired and cut over back to the parking spot along the Lagoon trail instead of going down to the point, will have to check that out next time.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

The bottom part of this “hike” is a confusing mixture of parking lots and unmarked segments of “trail” some of which join up with each other, some of which just wander off and dead end. If you, like me, hike to get out in nature and away from people, don’t bother with the bottom third of the trail. Park near rodeo beach and go from there. If you’re looking for the scenic, tourist spots then that’s ok too and the bottom third of the hike will be perfect for you. Once you get out of the crowds, this trail is stunning, even on foggy days.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Just had a little time in the morning so we just did the coastal trail out to the lookout point and then back and up to the batteries. Very pretty, cool history with the batteries. Love the west coast shoreline.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Hiked clockwise from the parking lot across from the east side of Rodeo Lagoon. Hiking time: 2 hr 34 min.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Great view of the ocean and great weather for hiking. This is more of a hard hike because of it he distance.