Coastal, Cataract, and Old Mine Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(105)
Mount Tamalpais State Park

Coastal, Cataract, and Old Mine Loop is a 9.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 9.8 km Elevation Gain: 302 m Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Great hike with beautiful views and some changes in terrain. As others mentioned the mapped trail is longer than 6.1 miles - you can keep it around 6 by skipping the U on Laurel Dell and cutting straight to the Cataract Trail earlier.

This hike was recommended by the ranger when I asked for a nice 6 mile hike. It was magnificent, albeit my second hike in the SF area. A great mix of views, creeks, and forest.

Great Hike! I’m not a top hiker and I didn’t think it was too much, like most of the other reviews we went counter clockwise and did the elevation gain first which was a great call bc it’s a 7 mi hike for sure! The only thing is I’m not a huge fan of heights and the last few miles were a little scary being close to the ledge, there is a lot of tall grass with tics so wear long pants/socks (toward the end). I had hiking boots and a hiking stick w/ me. Very cool views, worth it!

My wife and I tried to hike this train on a record-setting high temp day. It was at least 100 degrees and mostly open space with no shade. Besides the heat, the grass was up to our elbows in some places. After finding two tics on my wife we opted to turn around after about 2 miles. Ocean view were amazing, but the heat and tics killed it. Probably a great hike in the Winter, Spring, Fall or any cool morning.

One of my favorite hikes, it was absolutely stunning. The only correction is that its about 7.1 miles, not 6.1 miles. Worth it though, especially on a nice, sunny day.

Flowers were so good. I think this is my favorite bay area spring trail.

Mon Sep 10 2018

This trail is amazing. We also went counter clockwise after reading some reviews. It was a nice glute workout at the beginning and avoids the steep downhill (which I hate). This route has a lot of variety - you have open hills, covered forest, rocky, grassy hills, uphill, downhill... and the views of the ocean are unbeatable. The last section is narrow, could see why it would be an issue in the fog. But the views are worth it!!

Mon Aug 06 2018

The trail was lovely and varied and relatively shaded. HOWEVER, if you suffer from acrophobia, this is NOT THE TRAIL FOR YOU! More specifically, when the trail turns into the Bolinas Fairfax Ridge trail, either turn back for a lovely out and back trail or proceed, understanding what you're getting yourself into: an exposed, narrow trail, right next to a steep slope. After remaining in a state of irrational terror for quite some time out on the ridge trail, I will make it a habit to read all the trail reviews thoroughly.

Fri Jun 15 2018

Hiked clockwise 6.6 miles, 2hr 38 min

Mon May 28 2018

Following other reviewers here, we did this hike counter-clockwise. Good thing we did as we realize it's going to be more challenging if we do the major steep trails at the last leg. It's absolutely beautiful even on a foggy day. Although, it was a bit scary while we were on the Fairfax Bolinas Ridge. The trail was narrow with a really deep drop below. We were really careful while on it as the visibility was probably 0.1 mile. The fog cleared up when we were on the spot overlooking Stinson Beach. Great hike!

Wed May 16 2018

Simply a great hike!

Thu May 10 2018

Hiked counterclockwise from Pantol, 6.5 miles, 2hr 37min.

Sun Apr 15 2018

While not as varied as the Matt Davis-Dipsea-Steep Ravine Loop, this is an excellent hike, with superlative views on a clear day (especially towards the end of the trail). The poppies were popping and Cataract Falls was more beautiful than I expected.

Sat Mar 10 2018

Excellent hike with great open vistas as well as heavily forested sections. Park at Pantoll and hike counterclockwise. Hiking time: 2hr 36 min.

Wed Feb 21 2018

AMAZING views but CAN BE HAZARDOUS. The views of the pacific and the north part of the bay area. Overall a beautiful hike requiring moderate exertion. Also windy the day we went. However, at northwest portion of the loop, there are some points where we were walking on the side of a steep hill. If you slipped and fell, you might roll down 20+ feet before stopping. There were only a few portions like that, but I shudder to think what might happen if someone did fall at those points.

Mon Feb 19 2018

Pretty gusty on the coastal portions, but the views are spectacular and worth it. Wildflowers, banana slugs, ferns, babbling creeks.

Fri May 19 2017

Incredible trail. Stunning views of San Francisco, Bolinas and Stinson beach. Nice mix of shade sections followed by panoramic views. It's one of the only trails that I know of on the mountain that is relatively flat and easy. There are lots of clear streams crossing the trail. I hiked it at sunset on a very clear (rare) day with very little wind (also rare). I would highly recommend doing this trail when there is either light to no wind, or winds out of the east. Early morning is or late afternoon is best if it's a warm day, or the open sections can be quite hot.

Thu Apr 06 2017

Started at Pantoll Station and went counter-clockwise: Cataract Trail - Laurel Dell - Coastal Trail - Matt Davis - back to Pantoll. That way the steepest part of the trail is hiked first. Beautiful vistas (!!) along the Coastal Trail should not be missed.

Sun Apr 02 2017

did the Coastal trail from Rock Springs parking ... beautiful, narrow trail on steep side of hills. then back via Cataract trail... mellow wooded stream areas, easy hike just under 4 miles

Fri Mar 24 2017

Amazing hike. Great trail with plenty of waterfalls and babbling brooks. I was in the clouds the whole time, but when I was on the ocean side of the trail could hear the Pacific roaring below. Came across some wild turkeys. Lots to see on this great hike.

Sun Feb 19 2017

We did this trail right after lots of rain made for gorgeous waterfalls! Muddy in parts & amazing views!