Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Coast Trail: Limantour to Sculptured Beach [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(68)
Point Reyes National Seashore

Coast Trail: Limantour to Sculptured Beach is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 577 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

I recommend getting up to the Coastal Trail at the first low spot where you can get up there. Then at the campground area go back down to the beach. It's such a treat to see the rocky area with all its nooks and crannies filled with water and tide pool life. Since this is a beach that you can only walk on at low tide, may as well enjoy low tide and all its beauty. I took the Coast Trail all the way there, but I found the trail to be not as much fun as the shoreline once you get to the rocky area. I walked the beach all the way back. To cut out some of the tediousness of the sandy only beach walk part I would do the above mentioned Coast Trail section. Best of both worlds. Definitely do this trail at a minus low tide.

Parking spots are limited, but plenty of parking on the sidewalk of the road. With the exception of the walk on the beach, the hike is simple. You’ll get plenty of beach views, wild life and, at the right time...hopefully a whale siting. It was our intent for our hike to end at SCULPTED BEACH, which it did, but it’s really hard to miss the turnoff. It’s marked, but only if you look to your right. I would says it’s about 1/2 mile after you cross the bridge on your right. Look for the sign. It’s off trail. The trail is well maintained with shades in parts.

Only a small part of the trail is bike friendly

Lots of sun exposure. Started on beach and scrambled up short ravine to coast rail. Signage not ideal.

The rating is for the last section of trail. The trail that goes down to Sculptured Beach needs a lot of love. It was very overgrown and not enjoyable to walk through it. The stairs had water flowing down them and things were very muddy/slippery coming down the last portion. We walked on the beach all the way back to the parking lot at Limantour Beach rather than going back up the sketchy part of the trail. Not sure if you can do that when the tide comes back in but we didn’t have any problem. Once you are down on the beach though it’s beautiful! The tide pools at low tide were awesome. The rest of the trail is beautiful!

so beautiful! you have to walk along the beach for the first mile, but it was worth it.

Mon Feb 18 2019

Fri Feb 15 2019

Easy and enjoyable trail with the sculptured beach as the prize at the end, which is as magical as it sounds. Make sure to go left over some of the rocks on the beach to see the coves and arches

Sun Sep 30 2018

Hands down one of the best places to see, super secluded and the views are spectacular. Once you get to sculptured beach you are rewarded with arches, caves, tunnels, lots of birds, whale bones and cool rock formations. My spouse and I did this with our 5 and 8 year old. Tired but we had a blast. It’s so beautiful you will not regret visiting this amazing hidden gem.

Fri May 11 2018

My love of the water makes this one of my favorite hike. About 7 mile hike from Limantour parking to Sculptured Beach via Coast trail, (I forgot to turn my recording till about half way) Really easy hike, great views, couple of wood bridge, Coast campgroud at (38°01'04.6"N 122°51'17.3"W) if you want to spend the night or two, just make a reservation. Also very important not to miss the turn to Sculptured Beach at around (38°00'40.2"N 122°50'33.9"W). Enjoy!

Wed Sep 20 2017

Awesome trail for Trail Running. Coast Trail trailhead is right off Limantour Road and if you're an endurance athlete the Coast Trail literally covers almost the entire Drakes Bay portion of Point Reyes National Seashore. You could take it as far south as the Alamere Falls trailhead at the southern part of the peninsula. Soft dirt trails, awesome wood bridges and creeks, absolutely stunning coastline, amazing wildlife viewing, private secluded beaches! Truly one of the best trails in California. I ran it from beginning to Arch Rock (which sadly collapsed) and then back again for a 16 mile run.

Sun Jul 16 2017

It was a nice hike. Very beautiful views but it was difficult to know where to go or where it started as there were no signs from where the map took us. But all in all it was very beautiful to visit.

Sat Jul 02 2016

Beautiful trail that start just down from the parking lot. You need to go 2/10ths of a mile or so on the beach and then head east over the beach head to get to trail. Pretty flowers and plants, a couple of wood bridges over streams. Some great views of the hills and coast. Remember to head towards beach at one of the last turns or you will find yourself adding a mile or so into a long hike. Hiked with my 1 year old on my back, she loved it.

Fri Aug 04 2006

I found the explanation of the Beach Trail to Sculptured Beach (per the book) to be very confusing...because its not really a trail...all you are doing is walking the beach from Limantour to Sculptured Beach. You won't see Coast Camp or any other points of reference. There are 2 small rocky formations that you need to cross to get there. You'll know you've reached Sculptured Beach because it's sort of a cove-like area with a small beach and rocks on either side. There are also stairs leading up from the beach to the Coast Trail. We actually took the Coast Trail to get to Sculptured Beach and then on our way back, we walked the beach to Limantour. To get to Coast Trail, we took the Laguna Trail to the Fireside Trail to Coast Trail and then took the steps to Sculptured Beach. It's a lot longer to hike this way than walking the beach from Limantour. I had my son in a BOB Stroller and the trail was pretty rough to get there. We saw sea anemones in the tidepools, but no starfish or other creatures. The cliff formations were beautiful and a sight to see.

recorded Recording - Feb 09, 1:40 PM