Coast to Crest Trail at Lake Hodges

Coast to Crest Trail at Lake Hodges is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a very easy path/trail. There are TONS of mountain bikers on it so you will need to be aware and be ready to move to the side. I would hesitate to bring younger children on it when the mountain bikers are around in droves even though the pathway is relatively wide. There are plenty of blind curves. The views are fine- I appreciate harder hikes so for me, this is a good entry level path but for others it may be exactly what they want or need. Bonus points for the Sunday Farmers Market at the parking lot from 10-3. Great fruit offerings were available.

Beautiful trail, your gonna want to keep going so check out del dios gorge trail. Worth worth it!

love it!

super easy, just go early in the morning or in the evening as it can get pretty warm.

Easy, and kid friendly! We got to see small lobsters and enjoyed a patch of shade at the Felicita Creek! Bring sunblock and more water than you think you'll need at least 2 liters per person. My recording stopped along the way but we started at the Sikes Adobe Staging Area... Happy Hiking!

Nice place for trail running, as the trail is wide and relatively flat. Wish there was more shade. Close to the freeway, which is convenient, but creates some noise. If you wear headphones, you won't even notice. Dog friendly:)

Monday, May 15, 2017

Nice easy hike! The trail was dog friendly but there were a lot of red ants so I would not suggest bringing your dog.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Very nice, wide, well maintained trail...however, there is very little incline and almost no shade past the first mile.
There are tons of mountain bikers on this particular trail going very fast.
Wildflowers are in full-bloom and the water level is much higher than normal. I took so many pictures and posted a few on here.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Nice walk. Pretty view. Too many bikers for a relaxing walk. Lots of freeway noise too if you are someone looking for a quiet, peaceful environment.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Easy hike with breathtaking views of Lake Hodges and the dam!

Monday, January 02, 2017

This was a lovely trail, very easy to walk and the lake was beautiful to sit and eat lunch next to.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great trail - super hot! Not too much shade but has a great views.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Awesome! The dogs got overheated so we had to carry them

Monday, June 13, 2016

really nice trail

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

This is a very fun trail and so far one of my favorites. The coast to crest trail can be linked to del dios gorge trail and santa fe valley trail. While there are a couple of technical sections on the Lake Hodges trail, but nothing overly difficult, overall this trail flows well and is very fun and is a great ride for all levels.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

really nice hike.....cactus were all in bloom and trail was nice and wide. view of the lake made it very easy to hike 6 miles!

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Always fun to try new trails in North County. This was a pleasant surprise. Moderate level hike is an accurate assessment. Well marked trail, nice scenery along the way, so did not get bored. Plan on hiking it again soon.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Fun! Beautiful spring flowers.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Good mountain bike trail, was easy.

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Beautiful!

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Nice out and back run.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

pretty boring. mostly fire roads until you cross the rusted iron pedstrian bridge.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

We're always looking for a good trail to do with our kids, ages 5 and 4. We were only able to do about 2.5 miles out and then back of this trail before we had to turn around. The kids especially loved the creek crossing. It's challenging in some parts, but mostly because you have to watch out for mountain bikers. Otherwise, it's a great trail. Lots of birds and scenery to enjoy. Everyone we met on the trail was very nice.

Thursday, January 02, 2014

This is a good trail for folks that want to get out and go for a walk/hike. I went on New Year's Day. Downside...bikers. Not that there were a lot of them but that they didn't let you know when they were coming up from behind and many went by to close and very fast.
Note to self: if going to do this again it will be on a weekday.
Once you get back in the trail it is a visually good trail. Enjoy.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Great view, good for dogs, but the trails are very narrow and a lot of people bike here so there's a lot of chances of unsuspecting accidents. We had to move many times out of the way for speeding bikers with our two dogs. There's parts of the trail thats on a narrow ridge, so trying to make room for the bikers is very tough, especially with dogs.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Awesome loop do in the morning gets hot in afternoon

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

6 1/2 miles straight and straight back

Saturday, March 30, 2013

I have been hiking at Lake Hodges for years. Even when there was no water in the lake! There are so many beautiful trails to choose from. They have maintained the trails very well and have even added a new bridge that has connected the rancho bernardo side to the escondido side, it has made the trails very popular! There are many entrances to the trails, from rancho bernardo there is an entrance in 4s ranch off of Alva Road, one in the westwood community on Poblado, and a couple parking lots off west bernardo drive, but I normally drive and park my car off of the 15 freeway on sunset drive because I like to hike the Bernardo Mountain. Its a long hike about 8.5 miles round trip. Its a great woork out. My dog loves it, and she has fun in the little creek that you have to cross. The view from the top is great over looking the lake and surrounding neighborhoods. The trail is very popular with mountain bikers and other hikers on the weekends but during the week it is pretty mellow. If you do not want to climb a mountain instead of turning right off the trail you can continue straight and the trail will take you all the way to the Lake Hodges dock or keep going to del dios highway. Awesome trail love Lake Hodges :)

Monday, November 05, 2012

This was my first time MTB riding this trail today and was STOKED! Had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend for novice-to-intermediate riders. Some climbing but not too much. Some technical, particularly on the downhill, but not too much. Very accessible but still felt like I was riding in the middle of nowhere. I have read that this trail can get very crowded at times; however I rode on a Sunday afternoon in early November and passed few others along the way. Beautiful, vast and rugged terrain made for some great pics. I made it from Sunset over to the main parking lot at the Lake on the other side for a solid workout. I'm Looking forward to exploring further as I was told the trail runs almost to Rancho Santa Fe. Bring plenty of water as it gets VERY HOT in the afternoon. Will definitely be heading back soon for more MTB or maybe trail running!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

We took a different trail this time and went up to the top of Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail. It takes a hour and 20 minutes from the our car (which we parked at the trailhead of the Bernardo Nature Trail Parking Lot). It was a gorgeous day, perfect weather and panoramic views from the top. Definitely well worth the hike up. I would do this again and again.