Coast Ridge and Nacimiento-Fergusson OHV Road

Coast Ridge and Nacimiento-Fergusson OHV Road is a 41.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Big Sur, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 41.8 miles Elevation Gain: 7,657 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

Awesome great off road trail. For sure give your self time early in the day if you want to complete this trail before dark or plan to camp out up there for the night which has plenty of spots to choose from. We went here after completing the off road trail right before Bixby Creek Bridge. This trail can be completed by a SUV with stock ride height but just take it slow and be mindful where you approach some angles. To give you an idea my brother-in-law took his VW Tiguan with 19” summer tires and I was in my GX470. There are amazing sights that are breathtaking to take some photos once you’re up the hill/mountain terrain.

off road driving

Disregard the below review by Felipe Mendoza. He has mistaken this trail for another with a similar name (Bixby Bridge is nowhere near either end of this route). This OHV route does not actually go all the way through. You'll reach narrow single track hiking trails and you'll have to turn back.

Monday, October 08, 2018

I just drove this trail in the wife’s Lexus RX350, in Oct 2018. As everyone is trying to find a parking spot a the Bixby Bridge lookout, and I mean everyone. We made the turn and kept going. It’s a easy graded dirt road and 4wheel drive is not even needed to pass but why not put it in. It’s a great SUV/Outback type trail that will get your car dirty. There is ups and down and beautiful views that you cannot see from the highway . It’s well worth the 12 miles of back road with gorgeous scenery in the redwoods, grasslands, chapperel .

Friday, June 29, 2018

I was overlanding and came up the back way (south side) through the Fergusson road and only got 9 miles in by truck before I hit hiking trails only. The trail was blocked by two thick wooden posts, and I walked a half a mile in up the trail and it was narrow (hiking single file). We had to turn around and come back to the coast. We also checked out the north way in but saw that it was hiking trails only. Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and I did not any other paths for off road vehicles in the area, both visually and by GPS (Garmin, Hema Maps, and Gaia).