Clyde Lake

Clyde Lake is a 14.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

fly fishing

Source of the Rubicon River. Over Mosquito Pass from North end of Lake Aloha Beautiful Cirque lake just outside Desolation Wilderness. Trail connects to Rockbound Pass, Emerald Bay, etc

Did a quick out and back hike to look for backpacking trails. Found my next trip

This is now my favorite local trail. There was a cool ice cave right before lake heather and lake aloha was just beautiful!

Make sure you bring mosquito repellent. It was impossible to stop at the first few creeks and ponds without being swarmed by them

Day hike starting from Glenn Alpine and ending at Clyde Lake.

Pros: beautiful changing scenery, plenty of lakes, wild flowers, fly fishing, day hike or overnight, moderate terrain with not too steep of an incline and then levels off.

Cons: Mosquitoes.

One of my favorite lakes. Still mostly frozen and the trail is covered. But it keeps away the crowd.

Favorite hike in tahoe so far!

Thursday, August 04, 2016

My favorite lake in the Wilderness thus far (I've been to about 20 of em). It's a bit farther from
Aloha than our map showed, and the climb up to the trail split is deceiving, so allow a little extra time to get there (1.8 miles from Aloha/PCT split took us almost 2 hours). Once we arrived, we didn't want to leave. This is a hidden gem !!

Monday, June 08, 2015

Came in from Glen Alpine trail head in the first week of June. About 15 miles round trip, but a very easy day coming back out. Aloha was pretty buggy (particularly the north side) but it was early enough in the year that they hadn't hatched yet in Mosquito Pass or on Clyde Lake. Beautiful sheer cliffs with hundred foot waterfalls surrounded this small lake. There were probably half a dozen good tent sites, though some were close together and few are closer to river draining out of the lake than on the lake itself. I was lucky enough to have the lake to myself on Saturday night. It was too early in the year to be very buggy, but there was a lot of swamp/marsh lands around so I could see that changing later in the season.

Monday, November 03, 2014

We started at Eagle Lake Trail, backpacked around and visited some lakes, went through Mosquito Pass, and ended at Clyde Lake on our second night. This is a pretty little lake. Lot's of boulders, so watch your footing. If you plan on camping, there are limited spots that could fit a tent. Otherwise, it could be a good long day hike! I think it's about 10 miles from the Echo Lakes trailhead? Hiking out through China Flats was a nightmare though. It was during mosquito season and we were eaten alive! I recommend coming in through the Echo Lakes side rather than through China Flats/Rockbound side!