Clouds Rest Trail from Yosemite Valley

Clouds Rest Trail from Yosemite Valley is a 21 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mariposa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Tuolumne Meadows: Travel westward on Tioga Road approximately 8 miles to the Tenaya Trailhead immediately west of Tenaya Lake.

This hike is a BEAST! Lots of incline, and the altitude got to me the last few miles. I would go .2 miles or so and need to stop for a bit and keep going. When I saw the rock at the end I though "oh hell no", but did it anyway and wow. The view is absolutely amazing.

I would recommend not doing this as a day hike. I am in good shape and hike often and it was still very challenging. If you do do it as a day hike though, I would suggest starting at 5:30am or earlier if you want to get down before dark. The camp is about 4/5 miles up the trail (permit needed).

Best hike in Yosemite from the valley

We did a day hike. The trail head states 10.5miles to the top, so the app is wrong stating it is 19miles round trip. Where the trail splits for Half Dome, the sign states 4.3miles to Clouds Rest and from that point on prepare to climb continuously. By far the toughest part of the hike but completely worth the views!

This hike is nothing short of legendary.

Our equipment put this round trip at 22 miles, officially from the parking lot, I believe it is 20.8, but forget the semantics either way this is a hell of a hike.

We started at 6:30am at the trail head parking lot beyond Half Dome Village, summited at 12:30, spent 30 minutes at the top, headed back down at 1:00pm and got back to the car at 5:15pm.

My girlfriend and I chose an early October Sunday which delivered perfect weather for our ascent, I wouldn't recommend much later in the season as even on this day where the valley reached 70 degrees, our 6:30am start was near freezing and the top of Clouds Rest even at midday hovered around 50F but the wind chill up there can be intense.

Anyway to the guts of the hike, overall the hike is difficult, nobody is kidding around here, but it does give you many groovable stretches where you can get in your hiker zone and grind it out, very rarely are there unbearable stretches of steep terrain with the exception of the vernal and Nevada Falls steps and the final couple hundred feet of scrambling before the summit. Vast miles of this hike are simply meandering switchbacks that gracefully stride ever upwards at a manageable clip. This is key. Both of us are in good shape but neither of us does this type of distance or elevation gain regularly, just put one foot in front of the other and groove it out, you'll be fine.

In an odd turn of events I consumed less than a liter of water on the way up, i have no way of explaining this or understanding how I didn't feel thirsty, maybe the elevation? Not sure. either way, we both packed 3L of water and consumed close to all of it by the end of the day, on a hotter day, throw that number out the window, you'll need much more. A water filter would be of great use as there was water next to the trail as high as 7200 feet and 6.2 miles in at high camp where the official Clouds Rest trail branches from the John Muir trail

Overall, the rare views of Half Dome from the east, the valley and the feeling that you are atop the world make this one of the greatest hikes I've ever done.

Training successful, on to Cactus to Clouds next month.

Great hike, great views. Trails are mostly well-marked and easy to follow, but a little tough to find in a few spots near the top (especially if the cairns have been knocked over or what have you). So take a map -- you don't want to get lost without a map 10 miles from Yosemite Valley (like a group I encountered). Tom Harrison Half Dome map is good. Definitely needed the bug spray. I endorse Muir trail to skip the falls on the way down. I left at 7am, which was OK on a fall day, but an earlier start would definitely be advisable in the hotter season or if you don't want to be in a pack of people going up the Mist Trail stairs.

As it was unclear to me until I got a good map and did the hike, there are two trails up to Clouds Rest (as opposed to trails converging before the final bit). The trail up to Clouds Rest from Yosemite Valley reaches the top via stone stairs (steep, but less exposed than the narrow ridge from the other side).

I hiked this trail this morning. I started at 3:30am from the valley. I made it to the top in 4.5 hours. The view is amazing!!! I brought my Jetboil and made breakfast and coffee at the top. I ran back down in 3 hours. I chilled at the top for about an hour. Started at 3:30am and made it back to Housekeeping camp buy 12:30pm.

This trail was 22 miles for us. Difficult but worth it.

Long but probably the best hike I've ever done. So worth every step.

Super hard but very awesome views