Clouds Rest Trail from Yosemite Valley

Clouds Rest Trail from Yosemite Valley is a 19 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mariposa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Tuolumne Meadows: Travel westward on Tioga Road approximately 8 miles to the Tenaya Trailhead immediately west of Tenaya Lake.

This trail was 22 miles for us. Difficult but worth it.

Long but probably the best hike I've ever done. So worth every step.

Super hard but very awesome views

Long hike but 100% worth it.

The day before hiking Clouds rest from the valley, I spoke with one of the park rangers in Yosemite village who advised heavily against anyone hiking it in a single day. After much internal debate (solo hiker), I decided to hike it anyways.. and wow am I glad I did.

The hike itself is quite challenging as it is 10 miles uphill the whole way to the peak and 10 directly back down. For reference, I tend to do 1 long hike every few months but am in by no means good shape. I also carried 5 liters of water and finished it all of it by the time I got down (I'm 6'3'' so drink more water than most).

I was on the mist trail beginning at 5:30 am and was on the peak by 10:45 with a few stops along the way for snacks. I would suggest leaving while it is dark out as the views of both Vernal and Nevada falls as the sun rises with no one in sight are truly spectacular. Another plus of leaving early is that a majority of the ascent is done in the shade and is much cooler than if you had waited a few hours. The final four miles where you split from the Half Dome route is the most challenging part of the hike as it is a steep incline until you reach the top. However, if you can make it to that fork, you should be able to reach the top. After a little over an hour at the summit, I headed back and returned to the valley right after 3pm taking the JMT to avoid the Mist trail traffic on a holiday weekend. Total distance ended up being 22.5 miles.

The view at the top is (IMO) the most spectacular in the park and the route is incredibly easy to follow. Just make sure you are prepared (i.e. water, hiking shoes) and are ready for the distance/elevation gain. Enjoy!

We did this hike in one day... wouldn't recommend doing that! Make sure everyone in your group is capable of hiking 19 miles! We had someone in our group who got injured because they thought they could handle it.. later I found out the most they've hiked was 5 miles!! Wasn't a good hiking day for us!
If you plan on making this trek in a day make sure you bring a water filter (we filled up 3 times) and plenty of food.
Make sure to bring bug spray!!! And don't use the all natural stuff! Mine would keep the mosquitos away for 10-15 minutes and then I would have to reapply again (ended up getting 67 bites.. yes I counted)!
We did see a bear on the way down the trail so just be aware of your surroundings!
Don't get me wrong, the views were beautiful, but I probably wouldn't do this hike again unless we split it up into two days. I definitely want to hike to clouds rest again, but starting from the trailhead off Tioga road!

Favorite hike in Yosemite.

Took the JMT up right after the first footbridge to avoid being soaked on the mist trail. Highly reccomend this route to stay dry and enjoy a gentler elevation gain as the increased distance is pretty minimal. (plus you get to walk right past the top of Nevada without going out of your way)

I left at 5am from Happy Isles and made the summit by 9am. I started with one liter of water and an empty bottle and refilled both near Little Yosemite so I didn't have to carry extra weight since I knew the first bit is pretty easy.

The JMT up is definite elevation gain but the trail is so nice it feels super cruiser. Then you have a couple miles until the half dome trail splits off that is more or less flat and pretty easy hiking. A bit after you pass the half dome trail is where the trail gets fairly steep and sustained. But still not bad at all, way easier than the Upper Falls trail. The last half mile is the crux of the route, it gets steeper and route finding can be tricky. As late June there is barely any snow on the trail and I only very briefly would have to walk on snow.

View from the top is worth everything. Made it back down to the bottom of Happy Isles in 7.5 hours with half an hour at the top. A wonderful day.

Completed the hike with 4 friends on Tuesday amongst sparse midweek crowds. We're all experienced long distance hikers and carried 1-1.5L running packs with trekking poles - we used a water filter to refill once on the way up and once down. It took about 8 hours of moving time to finish the hike. The Mist trail is more scenic but it is really wet right now so only pursue this route if you're looking to get soaked and fight the crowds. Definitely go down the longer JMT route if your legs are tired at the end of the day. The final mile to the summit is still covered in deep snow but it's firmly packed (stay away from tree or rock holes). If you have yaktrax or microspikes you can take a steep straight shot to the summit. The snow won't slow you down much if you have traction since the section is so short and the conditions are good.

Unfortunately I lost my black iPhone 7 while we were running down the steep snow so if you come across it when the snow melts, please contact me on Instagram @ryryung and you'll be rewarded with both trail karma and a gift!

I did the hike again the next day to look for my phone and finished the trip in 6.5 hours, running some of the downhill sections.

Very easy trail to navigate with park mileage signage - just break down the hike into 3 sections to mentally prepare your breaks. Switchbacks climb to Nevada Falls, flat/rolling section to Half Dome turnoff, Switchbacks climb to Cloud's Rest