Clouds Rest Trail from Yosemite Valley

Clouds Rest Trail from Yosemite Valley is a 19 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Tuolumne Meadows: Travel westward on Tioga Road approximately 8 miles to the Tenaya Trailhead immediately west of Tenaya Lake.

Just sitting here recovering from today's hike to Cloud's rest in yosemite. We did the hike from the valley. It was brutal and yet hugely rewarding. The first segment up vernal and Nevada falls is well known. STEEP. then some flat before some steady climbing up switchbacks and then spits off to the right. Left foot traffic going to half dome. Then steady climbing until you get to the last mile which on May 21 was totallly covered in snow. You can see your target which seems high and it is! The views from the top are unbelievable. We highly recommend. OH yeah, Alex Haler is wrong! It takes every bit of twelve hours. Lots of food and water needed.

While this hike is beautiful, it is also very, very difficult, especially if attempting from the valley floor. 7 miles in, I thought it was so far an unrelenting hike. It's a 15% grade pretty much the whole way up until that point. I didn't know what I was in store for. The next 3.5 miles were the steepest I had ever been on. If you do attempt this hike, do it for the challenge, not for the views. The views are incredible, but by the time I got to the top of Cloud's Rest, I was too out of it to appreciate it. Not to mention the thought of having to walk yet another 10 miles to get home. Downhill is easier, but there still are 11,000 steps to get down the waterfalls. It's a painful, grueling trip. And, yes, I'd do it again.

Overall the most fulfilling and challenging hike I've ever done. Recommend you be in decent shape for this if planning to accomplish in one day. Bring adequate supplies. If you're used to sea-levels of oxygen, be prepared to catch altitude around the last 2-3 miles of the ascent. The descent from the top can be a bit ambiguous, so pay attention to features on your way up.

Whoever gives this hike less than 5 stars is crazy! This is easily one of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. Sure, it's long and somewhat difficult, but that is clearly stated and known before going on it.

The first couple of miles from the Valley floor at steep. The last couple miles before the summit are also steep. A great deal of the middle of the hike is totally reasonable.

It's worth every single step, even the steep end. This trail is so peaceful. The views are incredible nearly the entire time. You feel the vastness of the forest during the limited segments without incredible views, as well.

The top is just spectacular. Panoramic views of all things Yosemite. Lake view, Half Dome, countless mountains. I went in the middle of October and the weather was perfect. I was even able to kick off my shoes and do some yoga for about an hour at the top. No wind, warm and sunny. I am going to do this again and again, every time I'm in Yosemite.

It took me about 7.5 hours to do the entire hike, including an hour at the top for some yoga. I didn't need any food and got by with about 1 liter of water, but I'd recommend bringing more water and some food if you aren't experienced.

Check out my photos of the hike on Instagram: ahaler1

This trail was difficult . Although well worth your time as you reach the top. The last 2.5 miles were the hardest especially when your legs and feet are tired. Beautiful though .

It had some great views and very pretty valleys, the last 100 yards of trail before the summit really gives you butterflies because of the shear cliffs on either side.

It's quite the accomplishment of a hike. By the time you walk to your car and take a few other detours the miles hiked can easily get up to 25 miles. I am glad I did this hike at least once.

Great hike with and even better final view of the valley

Wow, incredible!! I parked in half dime village so that added on another couple miles to my overall hike to about 24 miles.

Pack a lot of food and water, that's my first word of advice. I took the Mist Tail portion going up and the John Muir trail portion coming down and by the end my legs were totally wasted. Took me actually 5 hours going up and coming down.

But my good news when you get to the top it's all worth it. Words here can't do it justice.

this hike is the most intense and challenging hike we've ever done but so well worth it. Words cannot explain the beauty, you will have to experience it yourself.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Amazing....

Monday, October 26, 2015

Gorgeous views. We didn't want to leave when we got to the summit! The switchbacks in the first 2.5 are rough but manageable. best view in Yosemite!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Beautiful

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Incredible. We started early with lots of water and food. The switchbacks were rough, but the views are so good you forget the pain. Loved having lunch on the peak.

Thursday, September 03, 2015

This is probably the most you can experience at Yosemite. The 360 view allows you to see the whole rock phenomenon. We backpacked to the peak and camped (best suggestion, absorb the adventure). You can't make a fire up there, but the view is fantastic, just go to sleep early so you can wake up to see the sunrise (we slept right after sun went down). It gets slightly windy at night, there are little critters running everywhere, but no bears or large animals. The meadows, lakes, and creeks going up to clouds rest are surreal. Eat, eat, eat. You will need lots of energy on this hike. Everything was a great experience.