Learn more

Clintonia Trail Loop is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,092 feet Route Type: Loop

Great intermediate hike among the old growth redwoods for a few hours with great picture opportunities.

I’ve never seen anything like it! The trees are enormous and there is no way you can get pictures that do it justice. Would definitely recommend this hike!

Rolling loop w beautiful views, several benches along the trail and well marked signs.

Nice and very enjoyable trail, but very muddy from the rain, waterproof hiking boots is a must.

Beautiful scenery but does get repetitive. I wouldn't say this is the best hike in the park if you're looking to see big trees but the trail is well graded and pretty easy!

This is the quintessential Northern California trail. It should be required hiking for all new residents. Massive trees, well-groomed and marked trails, tons of yellow-foot mushrooms and ferns. I recommend going in the winter, when it’s lush and verdant, and all the colors are deep and rich. It’s quiet, too. This is a trail I sometimes do with a couple hours of evening time and a full moon. It’s navigable with a good headlamp and maybe a small LED lantern.

Beautiful walk among the redwoods. The fern canyon is amazing but you need either waterproof shoes and be very convenient with walking on man made bridges over creeks :) they are not deep but deep enough to get you wet for sure.

Beautiful hike with some of the most amazing views of the redwood forest that we saw in our four days in the park. We extended the James Irvine to the Fern Canyon Trail and then came back along Clintonia. We would strongly recommend you do the same as Fern Canyon is stunning. You across several rivers in Fern Canyon so don’t forget to bring something waterproof for your feet.

Super beautiful but gets repetitive. Trail is easy other than climbing over the occasionally fallen Redwood. Well marked and clean trails.

Totaled 14 miles with the James Irvine reroute. Absolutely beautiful. Absolutely worth it.

Wonderful day hike! Incredible massive old growth trees and lush trails!

Sun May 26 2019

Great in the morning. A little crowded in the afternoon

Mon Oct 01 2018

10/1/18 Beautiful and serene walk through the Redwoods, I only encountered a few other people toward the end of my hike. I thought the James Irvine trail was more scenic than Miner’s Ridge so if you’re not doing the loop I’d stay on James Irvine and just do an out and back. Lots of old growth Redwoods and plenty of unbelievably large tree trunks to marvel at. There’s also no sight or sound of civilization so you really feel like you’re “lost” in a coastal Redwood forest.

Sun Apr 29 2018

This is the best we hiked among the Redwoods! Accidentally did the last two miles in the dark without headlamps. You can choose to do 4 or 6 miles because Clintonia splits into a North and South loop. We opted to do both.

Wed Apr 11 2018

Majestic hike among the old growth redwood. We did the hike yesterday, 3/29/18. Great intermediate hike for a few hours with great picture opportunities. However, both captures the sights, smell and feel. The visitors center is a great place to stop for trail advice based on your time, level and desitmred sights. Ranger/staff are very friendly and helpful. If I could, this would be an annual pilgrimage to walk among the giants and recharge the soul.

Sun Dec 10 2017

Nice trail through the forest, but nothing spectacular. Plenty of mushrooms to discover during wet season though! The best groves in my opinion in this park are on the Friendship Ridge! This trail is 6.9 miles according to the ranger with a more accurate map. Overall, a nice and fairly easy stroll... took me about 3 hours from the parking lot.

Thu Aug 03 2017

Nice scenic trail with uphills and downhills. Took us about 30mins per 1 mile. Saw some other hikers but its definetly not full of people and quietly serene.

Tue Jan 17 2017

Awesome trail.... The best trail of it's length in the park for me so far. The other 2 I like only slightly better are much longer and harder. Gorgeous hike that is almost all old growth redwoods, Mostly a ridge hike that is up and down with a lot of variety which I enjoy more than just an up and down the mountain hike such as Ossagon which I also did today. A small part of Clintonia isn't redwoods but still very pretty. I saw the most people on the trails today than I've seen all winter... This is a hike that I will take a lot of people on in the future and highly recommend to all.