Climbers Loop Trail

Climbers Loop Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

PARKING: you can park in the visitor center lot, the side of the road that leads to the visitor center, or the side of the road within the gated entrance (not sure when the gates open but i imagine 8AM?) it was pretty crowded when i was returning from the hike (around 9AM) since there's free guided nature walks on certain days, so definitely keep that in mind. BTW - i highly recommend visiting the visitor center as they have small interesting exhibits ^_^

HIKE: the hike is pretty straight forward with some branching trails at the start but they inter-connect with the main trail. there's incline and declines but they aren't too drastic UNLESS YOU PLAN ON ROCK CLIMBING/BOULDERING!

Funny thing - i tried to boulder my way up to the top and almost fell. so be very careful and have the proper equipment when attempting. I only had climbing shoes but. But i'm also a novice LOL.

Anyway, you can choose to not boulder and just continue the hike.

It got pretty packed early in the morning so if you're looking for quiet serenity - i'd advise to come around 7AM since there were already a bunch of humans by 8AM. and since the park offers free nature walks, that just adds to the human traffic you'll need to navigate around.

overall, i'd say this was enjoyable and the scenery was very nice. i just wish i'd made it to the top but i'll need to up my climbing skills.

We started on the Visitor Center Loop, headed down towards the river, then back up, across Father Junipero Serra Drive to the start of this trail (one could go past the gate and park near the trailhead). The trail was well-maintained. Nice shade spot at Orange Cube Rock. Continue up some small switchbacks to rock climbing area at top. We were too tired (and hot) to try the rocks! Nice views!

Short loop. from the top you can blaze your own trail to the top of the mountain if you like a challenge.

Even if you are not a climber you can still make your way up pretty far on the trail with moderate skills. If needed it is easy to turn around once you feel as though you are beyond your abilities.

Short climb. Good place to start or end a hike. Get your blood pumping.

Beautiful, short trail!

Uphill walk amongst big boulders, may even see a climber or 2. Walk back the way you came or do the loop back down to the road.

Short and sweet hike. Gets your blood pumping :)

rock climbing

It was a great night of rock climbing. Night fell out of nowhere, by moonlight which was bright, warm air, we found very large boulders to play on.

awesome trail.

Awesome because the trail is not easily identifiable the entire way-makes it more fun!

Did this about three weeks ago, started from the visitor center trail and then crossed the road to the climbers trail. Still pretty hot out. Saw lots of rock climbers. Short, sweet, and warmed my legs a little bit. Pretty easy hour or so hike.

Loved this trail. Just a shorter fun trail. Definitely not difficult...lots of fun.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect based on reviews. It is either difficult or easy. Well my take on it is if you stay right on the trail, it isn't bad. But it's easy to get off just a little and you'll soon discover it appears sketchy. If that happens, pull out your app and see if you are still on the trail. In my case, twice, I was off it just a little. I think this is because some of the climbers have made shortcuts to the base of some of the vertical rocks. There were several climbers today as well.

The views are fantastic, the trail is interesting, though short. It is a little bit of a workout but at 0.91 miles, it isn't exactly long. However, I parked my car at visitor center parking lot so my total mileage clocked in at 2.25 miles.

I loved it. Plan to do it again.

Nice little trail but really makes you work it on your way up.

Exactly what it says it is. A great little hike to get you moving and rock scrambling. Wonderful views. You can bring the dog but don't. It's hot now and really not a good idea. The trail is super narrow in parts and you will have to let go of a leash to navigate the boulders. Dog will invariably go off trail.

Great rock formations and views.

Love this trail, especially around and right after sunset. As others have stated, it's not that difficult, however, if you have short, stubby legs like me, it is a lot more challenging. I found myself using my arms a few times which was a bit different than my usual hikes/walks. Obviously you can complete this trail by starting at either end because it is a loop, if your knees aren't the greatest I would suggest sticking to starting at the first trail head as marked on the map (first trail head coming from the direction of the Visitor Center) so that you're climbing the steeper part and not coming down it.

Clean trail. Beautiful view!

Monday, April 24, 2017

This was the first place that I hiked when my husband and I moved to San Diego 7 years ago. Love the intense climb and bouldering that it takes to get to the top. Great views up there and love the thrill of being on the edge. We only wish the hike was longer!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Quick intense hike! You are rewarded with beautiful views of the park once you reach the top.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

This is a short and fun hike.

Friday, February 24, 2017

It's so short that it can't be considered "hard". Its fun.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

My first California trail and it was a worthy introduction.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Loved this! I finished the 5 peak challenge and was feeling very proud at 57 years old with a bad hip. But be warned if you don't enjoy scaling a few boulders or being on narrow paths or are afraid of heights. This trail may not be for you. Luckily my son who's a rock climber lead the way. I've gone back and done it twice this week! It's a good quick workout.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

My favorite difficult Mission Trails hike. As soon as you get up the climb, it's not hard at all. Beautiful views, and the mountain rocks are amazing there. Fun to explore all the different routes not necessarily on the trail.

Saturday, December 03, 2016

Awesome hike. Great view at the top!

Thursday, November 24, 2016

This is fun just to go explore. Not very long but it is a lot of fun once you're towards the top looking down.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Fun little trail. Made it up with my 5 year old daughter lol

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

great workout. awesome views.