Clevenger Canyon South West Trail

Clevenger Canyon South West Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An amazing trail! Gradual, but consistent uphill. Some nice switchbacks, and ridgewalks towards the end. The day I went it was cool and breezy, but I imagine that this place could get warm during spring/summer months, so do bring a lot of water. The trailhead is a little farther than what the AllTrails map takes you. So, just go a bit farther up to your first turn off on your right, there is a small parking lot there. Highly recommend. Happy trails hikers!

great hike alot if views and hills

What a terrific hike. More like 6 miles out and back tho, not the 4 stated. The weather was cold and cloudy making for a lovely day/hike. In sunny/warm/hot weather, it would be horrific as there is no shade on this trail. It's burned out badly from the fires last fall but, still stunning views of mountains and valley including the chair view. Worth the climb... will go again.

Good hike, there is burn damage like the comments below said, however with all the rain recently it's quite a bit more green then I would have expected for the area. Not to mention the view from the chairs pretty top notch, definitely worth going again.

Was great! There are two chairs cemented in to giant rock at the very end that are worth checking out. Great views from up there.. :)

Great views of surrounding area. A lot of the trail has burn damage from a recent wild fire.

We enjoyed the hike, up for 2 miles, but the fires really ate up the mountain. It was interesting and sad. Regrowth has begun and little sprouts of green and red laurel sumac and yuccas are sprouting. When you get to the top there are chairs and we enjoyed that view a lot! Then there’s a bit more trail and that was cool too. Spring may bring even more joy to that area :)

Well this is one of my favorite hikes in San Diego! The views were beautiful and it was like a walk in the park compared to Lawson peak ! Round trip took me about 2 1/2 hours!

Trail was nice. Easy one hour up and one hour down. Nice view at the top. 1/2 trail was affected by recent fire but still accessible. If anyone is planning on doing this hike, please bring a few trash bags. I picked up several bottles on the trail and 3 bags of trash at the trailhead. There was still plenty of trash left behind that I didn't have room for.

This is one of my favorite hikes I do on a regular basis. Unfortunately the San Pasqual fire did hit about 80% of the route to the top. The bridge is gone and the tree has fallen in that area, but you can still hike with ease and enjoy the surrounding beauty. As you near the area to the chairs the trail has been bull dozed and becomes very wide and has some private property owners. Stay to the far left so you see chairs to your right and pop up that small dirt hill path cause the far back side is now also private property. All in all trails are clear, orange groves still a beautiful view with charred surroundings.

This is a very nice Trail. However your coordinates for the trailhead are wrong and your distance is wrong. The trailhead is farther east from the coordinates you list. Also the trail itself is closer to 6 Mi not 4. If you do the westfork as well as the East Fork. You will have 10 miles. There are beautiful views. I don't really understand the chairs at the top. I would rather just stand up on a natural rock.

It was awesome the view is spectacular ! It’s cute with the two chairs up there, I got a slight sun burn on my face and neck lol so make sure to take a hat and sun screen and relax on the rocking chairs and enjoy the view ! Totally worth the hike up ! Bring water and plan on going early so you won’t catch the sun so bright!

Bring a few beers once you reach the top when sitting on those chairs. Great views overlooking a winery in the distance. Also saw a few hot air balloons as well. I believe I went on a late Sunday afternoon and had the chairs to myself for about a good hour. Definately worth it!

I got a little sunburned doing this hike! Not too much shade going up! But the chairs were super cool to sit on, had a very nice breeze at the top! My boyfriend saw a huge rattlesnake so be careful

Quiet trail didn’t see too many people, nice breeze at the top, hardest part is the first mile .overall super fun relatively easy

Awesome hike! We did it at sunset sitting in those chairs at the top.. bring flashlights and watch for spiders at night. #sdrvc

4 stars for the hike. Fun hike with great views and tons of beautiful tiny wildflowers, only ran across two other people on a Thursday. Did run across a rattle snake next to the path. We avoided him and he avoided us. 0 stars for the view returning back to the parking lot. Two of my car windows completely smashed and a bag full of old running clothes taken. Park here at your own risk, and if you do, don't leave valuables in the car.

Chairs at the top were nice, well maintained trail -fairly easy

absolutely beautiful. this is on the must do list for any socal hiker. look out for snakes though.

I've never seen anyone else on this trail which is how I like it. The views are ok and there's a fun little IRL easter egg near the top.

Wear full pants as there are a lot of close brush areas. Probably want long sleeves too to avoid scratches. Not a lot of cover. Definitely a nice little workout with good elevation gain.

Great for kids, good surprise at end

Loved this trail. First time I had gone. Took my pups it was nice not to many people and only one other dog. The chairs are so cool at the top.

Love this trail!!! It’s marked pretty well. It’s a decent incline to the top. Lots of complaints on dog poop but I don’t think it’s dog poop. It looks to be wild animal poop-but there is quite a bit of it. The chairs at the top are awesome! I’m so glad I got up to to do this morning.

Monday, February 12, 2018

El camino muy claro y la vista desde las sillas que están en la cima, inmejorables!

Monday, February 12, 2018

Perfect Sunday hike! Gorgeous trail with such a nice reward at the end! Great hike to do with dogs. We probably saw about four other groups of people the whole day which is very empty for San Diego. Would deff put this hike into the cycle of hikes you can do again and again.

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

This was actually a pretty cool little hike. Good workout for a short hike, I'm used to doing mountain hikes and did Cucamonga two days ago. The views are surprisingly nice and the chairs at the top are interesting and fun. If you do the hike you will see what I mean. The only issue is there is a lot of dog poop on the trail. why do people have to be so stupid and irresponsible I'll never know. Maybe their mother didn't hug them enough growing up.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Nice and quiet! We went on Sunday and saw 3 people hiking.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Very cool trail. Great terrain, single trail with good vegetation. Great views from the chairs and the view point. Well maintained trail with some cool rock formations. I recommend it.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Great hike today. First time on this trail and I will definitely have to do It again.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Really nice trail, well maintained. Please remember to clean up after your dog! Not too many people on a chilly January morning.