Clevenger Canyon-San Pasqual North Trail

Clevenger Canyon-San Pasqual North Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rugged mountains east of San Pasqual Valley, north of Hwy 78. The North Trail crosses the lush riparian ribbon of Santa Ysabel Creek in the canyon bottom and then more rugged terrain on the slopes. The original 10-mile trail is overgrown with vegetation and not well-defined past a certain point, so hikers are advised to turn back when the trail is no longer easily visible. This hike is about 5 miles east of the Wild Animal Park directly off the 78 Hwy. You start off heading down to a creek and then up up up to great views of the surrounding mountains and orange groves. There wasn't a lot of shade on the trail, so I would do this on a cool day or start early with plenty of water and sunscreen. While the trail is well maintained and easy to navigate, there are some parts with a drop to one side. Be careful taking kids and dogs on this one. You could have a nice picnic down by the water. I bet in the summer its a nice way to cool your feet after a moderately strenuous hike to the top of the hill. The trail continued past where we turned around, but I'm not sure where it goes, so we turned back at the sign. Enjoy!

fun. relaxing great view

Pretty area and lightly trafficked. At least on the north track, beware that vegetation has grown over the trail for long stretches. Long pants recommended if you attempt.

Great hike. Beautiful location and strenuous but doable out and back.
My only knock is the trail condition; after all the rain we received this winter in SoCal, the trail was very rough in spots.

Fun hike

Despite using the guide on the Modern Hiker website, I lost the trail a bit over a mile in and couldn't find it again as it became pretty overgrown. Met some others on the way who were pretty lost as well. Wear long pants as it's pretty easy to get scratched up!

Great hike! The trail was kind of hard to find sometimes, I had to use my phone GPS to make sure I stayed on track. Not too busy though.

Beast of a trail. Great mountain hike. Awesome views from the top! Bring alot of water for the way up.

Great trail for a conditioning hike. Not too difficult at all. I started at 0600 and logged almost 5 miles on this trail. went up quickly and then walked and ran my way down. Great views of the valley and of the South Trail just across the hwy. I hiked the South Trail last week and being able to see the trail and the ridge from the opposite side gives you a bit of perspective of where you were and where you traveled to and from.

Road noise takes away from the solitude, however the views were good. I recommend it for anyone trying to be alone. There is much to explore and would like to do it again in the fall or winter.

geocaching

My family and I loved this trail. We loved being surrounded by nature and the amazing views