Cleo's Bath Trail via Pinecrest Lake Loop

Cleo's Bath Trail via Pinecrest Lake Loop is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pinecrest, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 843 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Trail marker is off the north side of Pinecrest lake. Pleasant trail through forest and rocky switchbacks at high elevation. Opens up into river, wading pool and waterfall area. Great views of Pinecrest Lake.

Hiked on 06/18/19. Reasonably easy until the very end. Agree that round trip is 9 + miles. Water Flow is incredible this year resulting in nice viewable waterfalls and Cleo's bath is not a bath this year but a strong flowing river. The views at top are breathtaking as the excessive amount of water is creating picture perfect water features.

Did this hike with my wife and 7 year old. It is moderate hike that becomes difficult towards the top close to Cleo’s bath. Like all other reviews say, bring BUG SPRAY. The path can be difficult to follow at times but if you follow the red and blue arrows you will make it. We went all the way around and it was closer to 9 miles not the 6.5 it says above.

Great day hike. I first hiked this trail with Dad in 1956 and I’m still doing it approx. every two years. Absolutely beautiful scenery.

Just hiked this today. Overall a good trail, and you leave 90% of the Pinecrest hikers behind you once you take this trail off the main lake trail. Definitely some muddy spots and the mosquitoes love those areas, but nothing too bad. It’s a good variety too...some rocky exposed areas and some shaded forest areas paralleling the creek. Note: The final part of this hike is a steep incline (48% grade) on your hands and feet to get to Cleo’s bath...not recommended for larger dogs like my 120 pound Berner that I brought! Good trail, recommended!

My daughter and I just went up for an overnight trip. The hike is hard, period. I am 48 and in good shape, exercise almost everyday and this is a workout. Especially with a pack on. You have to rock climb a bit. We did see a Rattlesnake at the bottom of ascent, so that’s new for us locals up this high. Anyway, be mindful of that and know they are there. Once at the top, the beauty is amazing! The water was raging way too fast to try to get in water, plus it’s freezing. So not recommended for swimming this time of year. Cleo’s is beautiful, majestic , reminds us how small we are! Left it as we found it- pack it in, pack it out. Respect for Mother Nature. ✌

The markings are hard to find and the rock climbing is intense. This was definitely a hard hike, I would say the “moderate” that was posted on this app for that hike, was an understatement. The granite rocks are steep and you really have to be careful when coming back down. This is NOT a hike for people who don’t normally hike. It’s also more rock climbing then hiking.

Second time hiking this trail, this year the current was very strong and the swimming holes that usually form at the top were flooded. The trail was a little muddy in certain parts.

Tips: waterproof shoes or hiking boots with a good grip to help climb and navigate all the water/mud on the trail. Look for the blue arrows directing where to go on the rocky areas. Bring bug spray. We started the trail at the Pinecrest Day Use area and went counterclockwise. The walk around the lake was nice and easy. Once we hit the Cleo’s Bath trail, it progressed easy enough, although very wet, until we got to the rock climb. It was hard! Doable, but definitely a climb. Cleo’s Bath is rip roaring right now. Definitely too much run off for safe swimming or wading. The waterfall was in full force. It was beautifully powerful. Walking back, my legs felt like noodles from the steep climb up and scrambling down. Thankfully someone spray painted blue arrows to direct you up and back down, but even then, we got a little off course at times. We attempted to do a loop, but couldn’t find how to get to around to the other side. No worries, we still clocked in about 7 miles.

Bug repellent recommended ;) Ended up going partway to Cleo’s Bath instead. Nice trail, lots of people.

It was amazing to hike there, everything was beautiful, going to come back, highly recommend this hike

this an absolutely beautiful trail. i would not recommend for beginner hikers or people with dogs unless they are ok climbers or their humans don't mind lifting them through some steep rock climbs towards the top. bring your bug spray!!!

This trail was beautiful and got tough toward the end. We ended up having to walk through quite a bit of water and the trail got pretty muddy, but we enjoyed it! May is the perfect time to do this hike.

This was my first proper hiking trail and thoroughly enjoyed it. The view from Cleo’s Bath is breathtaking. I think there’s a bit more climbing involved than is let on by the trail description; definitely a nice challenge and left me pretty tired but well worth the time to do!

Great trail. Fun to do with the family. For those that are older I would recommend hiking poles. Bug spray and sunscreen is highly recommended on hot days.

This trail was FUN! Going around the lake and walking over the dam provided excellent views and scenery. Once you veer away to head towards Cleo's Bath, it becomes more rugged and towards the end of the trail, you have to scramble and climb up. This was exciting! I highly recommend this trail.

Great hiking trail with bath at the end. Beautiful views of the lake pinecrest at the top!

I did this one last summer without knowing there was real directions! we just followed the arrows all the way!! it was honestly a hard and tiring hike free scaling up and over rocks but it was extremely fun!! The waterfall pool is FREEZING even in 102 weather! so pretty though. But!! there is on area for about a half a mile where it is COVERED with mosquitos. my whole body and my sisters were covered in bites. Beware of that.

Easy hike overall with rock scramble right when you get to the top. Beautiful views from the top. Lightly trafficked throughout.

Best hike. I have been doing this hike since I was a kid and now get to explore it with my boyfriend and dog. Tiny section with rock climbing but amazing areas where you can jump into the river

This has been my favorite hike so far. Beautiful scenery!

I absolutely loved this trail....my friend who is not a hiker came with me, we made it to the top no issues. amazing views. started raining as we were on the top. As we hiked down the rocks were extremely slippery. I hit a rock just right and rolled my ankle. Continued to hike until I couldn't go any further. Had to call 911 and be rescued out. Tualome co fire dept is absolutely AMAZING. 4 firemen hiked me out. Turns out I fractured my fibula in two places, had to have surgery requiring a metal plate with screws in my ankle. Still recovering but you can bet I will be back!

My boyfriend and I hiked this trail in early Oct 2018. For fitness context, I am a mid twenty year old who goes to the gym 2-3 days a week and is active during my job and my boyfriend is in his early 30's and goes to the gym 4 days a week. We found this trail really great and got a nice workout in without feeling spent or crazy sore by the end. As people have mentioned, the bouldering is the main challenging part of this hike, but it's pretty short and surprisingly easy. For example, several dogs were able to do it. It took us from around 1:00-5:00 for the whole hike, but we stopped and explored the area around Cleo's Bath a bit. Also, the trail isn't incredibly well marked once you leave the pinecrest lake loop, so watch for the blue areas and stay with your group! We picked up a lost hiker on the way back to the lake so it definitely can happen. there was no place to get portable water along the trail but there was a flowing river so bring water or a filter. The only bathrooms were at the beginning of the trail. Overall, a very beautiful hike for a wide variety of fitness levels.

Very nice mostly easy terrain until you get to the boulders. For me it was harder going up then coming down but totally worth it even without the waterfall. I’d advise wearing pants or longer shorts as I had to be in some awkward positions to climb the rocks and get back down. No woman wants scraped up legs. I enjoyed that it wasn’t full on sun. There was plenty of shade to enjoy on a hot day. Although I did see dogs at the bath I wouldn’t recommend bringing them up there. Also bring a backpack keep your hands free as you will need them both to get up to the bath.

Very nice trail . We didn’t have any trouble finding The trails , not much water but it’s a beautiful place

Pretty hike but lots of mosquitos, my sister and I got eaten alive towards the end of the hike.

Parts of the trails were misleading. But overall it has beautiful scenery with some wildlife added to the trip. The hike is for sure over 6.7 miles. Also you need to be aware of some rock climbing involved. Overall I would recommend nice trail.

Was rather smokey when we started, but got better later in the morning. Challenging, but the worth the trek. Great view from the top!

Even in late summer with little flowing water the pools and vistas make the hike more than worthwhile!

Awesome hike and very scenic!