Clementine Trail to Clark's Pool

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1211)
Auburn State Recreation Area

Clementine Trail to Clark's Pool is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cool, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

fee

Note: Due to COVID-19, the parking area is currently closed. However, you can walk to the trailhead to hike this route. Note: There is a $10 parking fee at the lot. Lake Clementine Trail leads to the spot where the North Fork Dam meets the rocks for an outstanding view of cascading water. Trail passes under the tallest bridge in California, Foresthill Bridge. The waterfall is absolutely amazing. There are rarely any people at the base of the falls but there is an abundance of poison oak so you need to be careful. Another good feature about this hike is about a quarter of a mile into the hike you pass by Clark's Pool - a fairly popular swimming hole. Despite being in the middle of the river, it is actually quite warm and very refreshing - especially since the first half of the hike is totally unshaded and gets rather hot. Dogs are not allowed at Lake Clementine.

Great trail and not to crowded today. Saw a good size rattle snake crossing the trail.

fee

Beautiful trail with views of turquoise waters and the forest hill bridge and dam. My 4 year old was a trooper and survived the entire hike along with our husky. Lots of people and some jockeying for parking but it was ok. Saw lots of other trails we’ll return for in the future.

Just completed this with my 11- and 8-year-old daughters and they LOVED it. It wasn’t too difficult or too long, and it had the great reward of Rainbow Falls at the end to motivate them. On the way back we even swam a bit downstream with a beautiful view of the Foresthill Bridge in the background. The water was perfect, as was evident by the many people enjoying it midday. I would recommend this hike to anyone. Important note: We went early in the morning to beat the crowds, and on our way back to the car at the end of our hike we were glad we did. Seems like a pretty popular spot...

Really easy hike, lots of people.

This was a great hike! It was relatively crowded 1 mile in from the Confluence, and again at the Dam. Mountain bikers were ok, but don’t really alert you that they are coming. There are very steep hilly areas, on pavement. Lots of shaded areas, lots of views of the river.

Great hike! Super beautiful...except for the slobs who pack their trash in and dump it all along the trail and leave it at the Clementine dam. Disrespectful of others and nature. I wonder who these “new” hikers might be? Guess... Pathetic members of a diverse community!

fee

One of my favorite hikes in the area just because you get the mist from the dam at midpoint. It was tough for my dog to get down to the dam but she also enjoyed cooling off. Trail is nice in general.

All open!! $10 to park. Great day for a 5 mile trek through the canyon.

We did this hike Saturday and got there at 8am and rangers had everything closed off for parking and were handing out fines. We ended up getting dropped off so that us girls can hike. Absolutley loved the views the entire trail. Be cautious of poison oak. The rocks to the dam are very slippery if you do not have hiking shoes with good traction. We saw lots of people in just old tennis shoes slipping which can be dangerous.

No parking currently due to covid restrictions. But if you live near by it’s definitely worth it. Lots of wild flowers right now. Uphill trail, but pretty gentle incline, easy to follow the route. If you make it to the waterfall, there is an awful lot of trash everywhere. Please carry out what you carry in!

Great walk to the dam but all parking is blocked off and we had to walk 1.5 miles from and to the car:/ good workout on a cloudy day!!

Love this hike, but depending on the person coming back up is challenging since it is all uphill. Once you get to the Dam it is beautiful! My watch calculated about 5-6 miles round trip.

fee

Where we parked, we ended up walking 4 miles there and 4 miles back to the car. If you end up parking where we did, be ready for an inclined long walk back to the car that feels like it never ends. The dam was cool to see but you can’t swim obviously. Many people on our way back to the car were asking if you could swim at the “waterfall” but no you cannot.

what a great hiking in this beautiful place we went with my family and my brother family with stroller and two little kids and we made it, we only had a problem to park are cars so we did long hiking after we find a place up the mountain other on that was just great.

Trail is good for children 10 + my daughter is 5 was tired already half way. I had my son on my back was okay. It’s very nice walk not too hard but a little uphill that will make you sweat. Good workout!

fee

A review for those with little ones... it's not stroller friendly, I had to leave mine 1/2 way into the hike. I carried my 1 year old and let my 2 year old walk. Some parts are rocky and narrow. while other parts are flat. My 8 year old did fine but I was carrying both my 2 little ones the whole way back until the part where we left the stroller. It's a beautiful hike but if you have little ones use a carrier or hiker kid backpack. We went on the hike 6 days ago and there were alot of people hiking it. When we got past the 2nd gate we didn't realize you can drive to the dam instead of hiking down to it. It was a long hard hike with little ones. However. if it were just my husband and I or just myself and my 8 year old it would of been just a moderate not to bad hike.

I enjoyed the trail. It's heavily trafficked and I wasn't prepared for the amount of people. I prefer much more secluded space, so I probably won't be hiking here again. Definitely try it out if you can!

fee

Good easy safe trail. Got an early start which was good because as the day went on it got more crowded. Great view at the end and a good place to bring lunch, take pictures, or just absorb the scenic view. Will be back again

Hot in the sun, cold in the shade. Great morning.

fee

Gorgeous hike with access down to the water. Once you reach the end, you’re greeted with the Lake Clementine Dam which makes it all worth it and so much more excited. Not a sight you want to miss!!!

This trail was awesome! It was scenic and rewarding with a waterfall at the dam at the end. Loved it!

Great day for a hike. The presidents holiday brought hordes of walkers to the falls. It was great to see families out enjoying nature . We brought a friend who never hiked before. I believe he’ll be back out in nature.

Great trail... parked near Auburn State Park kiosk, paid the fee and crossed the curved bridge to the trail head. Hiked with kids to Lower Lake Clementine Dam and back, my Garmin said it was actually 5.3 miles. The trail was great with some awesome views of the Forest Hill Bridge and the river along the way. Family friendly although the trail narrows on certain sections.. so hold on to the kids. Towards the end, trail shares with Lake Clementine Road, but it was still ok. Views of the dam were amazing, although I wish there was more than just the one picnic table and at least a water fountain along the way for refilling. It could get very hot, even though parts of the trail was shaded. So take enough water. Trail is also one of the busiest and finding parking can be challenging on weekends.