Learn more

Clementine Trail to Clark's Pool [CLOSED]

moderate(1122)
Auburn State Recreation Area

Clementine Trail to Clark's Pool is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cool, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

closed

fee

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 there is currently no vehicle access to this trail or others in the park. See here for more info: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355 Note: There is a $10 parking fee at the lot. Lake Clementine Trail leads to the spot where the North Fork Dam meets the rocks for an outstanding view of cascading water. Trail passes under the tallest bridge in California, Foresthill Bridge. The waterfall is absolutely amazing. There are rarely any people at the base of the falls but there is an abundance of poison oak so you need to be careful. Another good feature about this hike is about a quarter of a mile into the hike you pass by Clark's Pool - a fairly popular swimming hole. Despite being in the middle of the river, it is actually quite warm and very refreshing - especially since the first half of the hike is totally unshaded and gets rather hot. Dogs are not allowed at Lake Clementine.

Trail is good for children 10 + my daughter is 5 was tired already half way. I had my son on my back was okay. It’s very nice walk not too hard but a little uphill that will make you sweat. Good workout!

fee

A review for those with little ones... it's not stroller friendly, I had to leave mine 1/2 way into the hike. I carried my 1 year old and let my 2 year old walk. Some parts are rocky and narrow. while other parts are flat. My 8 year old did fine but I was carrying both my 2 little ones the whole way back until the part where we left the stroller. It's a beautiful hike but if you have little ones use a carrier or hiker kid backpack. We went on the hike 6 days ago and there were alot of people hiking it. When we got past the 2nd gate we didn't realize you can drive to the dam instead of hiking down to it. It was a long hard hike with little ones. However. if it were just my husband and I or just myself and my 8 year old it would of been just a moderate not to bad hike.

I enjoyed the trail. It's heavily trafficked and I wasn't prepared for the amount of people. I prefer much more secluded space, so I probably won't be hiking here again. Definitely try it out if you can!

fee

Good easy safe trail. Got an early start which was good because as the day went on it got more crowded. Great view at the end and a good place to bring lunch, take pictures, or just absorb the scenic view. Will be back again

Hot in the sun, cold in the shade. Great morning.

fee

Gorgeous hike with access down to the water. Once you reach the end, you’re greeted with the Lake Clementine Dam which makes it all worth it and so much more excited. Not a sight you want to miss!!!

This trail was awesome! It was scenic and rewarding with a waterfall at the dam at the end. Loved it!

Great day for a hike. The presidents holiday brought hordes of walkers to the falls. It was great to see families out enjoying nature . We brought a friend who never hiked before. I believe he’ll be back out in nature.

Great trail... parked near Auburn State Park kiosk, paid the fee and crossed the curved bridge to the trail head. Hiked with kids to Lower Lake Clementine Dam and back, my Garmin said it was actually 5.3 miles. The trail was great with some awesome views of the Forest Hill Bridge and the river along the way. Family friendly although the trail narrows on certain sections.. so hold on to the kids. Towards the end, trail shares with Lake Clementine Road, but it was still ok. Views of the dam were amazing, although I wish there was more than just the one picnic table and at least a water fountain along the way for refilling. It could get very hot, even though parts of the trail was shaded. So take enough water. Trail is also one of the busiest and finding parking can be challenging on weekends.

fee

Dog and family friendly trail! Mild incline and well maintained. parking was difficult on the weekend around noon.

This was my first local hike here. We started the trail at around 9:30am. Going in there weren't many people but on our return back we passed quite a few hikers, runners, and bikers. Most of the scenic views are in the beginning of the trail. As mentioned by others, a great family and dog friendly trail. Overall it was a great introductory stroll!

Heavy traffic trail seemed like shoulder to shoulder and have to let people pass certain points bc trail was very narrow.. not very scenic but kinda cool once you reach the river.. 3 stars bc it’s local and close to knee deep brewery :)

Great views of the river and the Forresthill Bridge and great options for different paths to take. Lots of water options but very rocky. I loved it and recomend it.

It was very nice hike with beautiful scenery. We have so much fun and laughter.

I’ve been in this area several times but for some reason never made it back to Lake Clementine. Definitely an easy hike. Going to the lake is a gradual incline but nothing too strenuous. There’s not much to do while at the dam/ lake because there’s only one picnic table but it’s definitely worth the hike & views to hang out for a little bit.

Beautiful trail can’t believe I’ve never done this one before.

Beautiful day for a trail run just be careful of the rocks by the waterfall they can be slippery when wet.

fee

The trail starts off easy, then .5 miles into the hike it’s all up hill slightly inclined. Very nice trail for families and dogs. Only took 6miles round trip.

fee

This is one of my favorite trails. It’s so beautiful at all times of the year. I have seen a river otter here on two separate occasions which makes me really happy. Trails is pretty easy for me but there is some incline which makes it a great workout. Definitely recommend.

This is a great trail... we didn’t get to finish it because it started late... but we will definitely be back!

fee

Great trail, beautiful scenery and not sure why they say no dogs, I took mine. You just have to keep them on a leash.