Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Dorn Nature Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kelseyville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 255 feet Route Type: Loop

This tranquil walk explores the woods around Clear lake. There is a a minor climb to the top of a hill for a view of the lake below.

recorded Dorn Nature Trail

fee

Very beautiful walk, saw around 10 deer, beautiful floral smell to the air, wonderful views.

This is such a beautiful trail..lots of mossy rocks and trees. I took my time and lots of pictures. I walked in from Soda Bay Road, which many locals do to avoid paying the day fees to park inside the park. It's a bit of a walk to the trail itself. There are two entrances to the trail, so I went up the first one I came to, not the one marked on the map. It is kinda steep going up the hill with lots of rocks, then flattens out more towards the tops. There are a few park benches along the way to sit and drink some water. There are also camp sites and picnic benches about half way thru. In some spots there are split trails and it can get a little confusing which way to go. I tried to stick to the map as best as I could. I had some issues with the GPS on my phone, so my recording is showing spikes and unfortunately the stats are off. I've walked this trail before but not in it's entirety. I would walk it again. I love the scenery.

Nice trail inside clear lake sp. Really nice place to watch the sunset and return to camp for dinner if you are staying in the park. Short and sweet hill climb. I think I was expecting more signage of an interpretive trail.

Serene trail exploring the woods around Clear lake, with a minor climb of about 500ft and some lake views from top.

Nice walk. Have to walk past campsites if you walk in to avoid $8 parking fee. Only slight elevation. Some pretty views of the lake and vineyards. Not a lot of shade. Had no issues with bugs when I went.

Map wasn’t entirely accurate. Have to go through Parking lots and camp sites. Nice views however. Otherwise, the trail needs some work.

let me start by saying i never made it to the trail. in the parking lot i was swarmed by mosquitos so i sprayed off and walked up to the trailhead. by the time i reached the trailhead i was surrounded by the pesky bugs and they were relentless so i decided to jog back to my car to escape. i jumped in my car and several made it in with me which i swatted, the rest tried to pick my lock. oh yea, bring $8 for this experience, you need to pay park fees.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Up until a week ago, I didn’t need mosquito repellent, but glad I had it today. Once things dry out, mosquitoes should disappear. It’s a beautiful trail, and using my Runkeeper app, from my car outside the park to the Indian Nature trail, then the Dorn Nature Trail, then out to the beach via the road, and back via the Dorn trail from the beach trailhead and back to the car, it was 5 miles with a 387 ft elevation gain over the whole route. I also came across a rattlesnake just off the trail up at the top loop, hidden in the grass. I was on the trail, but could hear the rattle five feet away, and just turned and went back the way I came. The Park Ranger said they’re not common on this trail and it was the first one I’ve seen since I started hiking this a month ago. Despite that I think it’s a really fun hike.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Gorgeous trail. Lots of greenery and wildlife. In the Spring time it looks like a place where fairies and gnomes might live.

Mon Jan 14 2019

A wonderful trail with beautiful views of Clear Lake and the valley filled with vineyards. Lots of deer. They don't allow dogs on the trail (you can walk them around the park), but I broke the rules and brought mine. $8 to get in, but you can park on the street at the entrance and walk in for free. Lots of people do that and you will see all of the cars parked on the side of the road. There are several entrances to the trail. The trail is marked, but can be confusing at times as there are several entrances/exits to the trail as well as dead-end overlooks. The trail is within the park and so even if you take a wrong turn, you won't be lost for long. Really enjoyed this trail.

Mon May 16 2016

The Dorn Trail is a 2.5 mile loop. It is pretty steep, especially at the beginning. The hike begins in a heavily wooded area, with the trail winding up and around the ridge, over big boulders. The trail eventually spits you out near the top of the ridge where the trees begin to thin before opening up on a big meadow. Towards the top of the ridge, the trail becomes wider. We saw beautiful wildflowers on our hike. Despite the campground being full, we only saw a few other people on our hike. The trail eventually spit us out in the campgrounds at the top of the ridge. A good, moderately difficult short hike. The views from the top of the ridge, along with the wildflowers, made this hike worth the effort.

recorded Recording - Feb 17, 05:23 PM