Clear Creek Route to Mount Shasta

Clear Creek Route to Mount Shasta is a 16.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mccloud, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October.

There is a trail most of the way up until about 1500 feet below the summit. From there it's a scree scramble. When you get to the headwall, about 200 feet below the summit, fan to the right of the wall.

Did this on Aug 26, 2017. I couldn't get to the trailhead in my Honda Civic. After crossing 31, and right after another junction the road gets extremely sandy in places. I counted a total of 4 sandy patches to the trailhead from that point. However I did see.a Hyundai (normal passenger car) parked at the trailhead implying it's doable. I did not want to risk it. I parked at coordinates 46.30639, -122.09832. Waze takes you somewhere else for the Clear Creek Trailhead. Google maps was excellent for guidance. This made it a 20 mile R/T. I started at midnight and at 10400 ft encountered snow on the trail. I couldn't see how far the snow extended cause of night conditions. However, I went off trail as west (left) to skirt around the snow and head straight up. That worked except it makes it more difficult and then later I missed the switchbacks to the mushroom rock heading again straight up making it even more difficult. Note that none of the maps has the real switchbacks to the mushroom rock, but it's very visible in daylight. However all these made it a fun hike. I was the first to sign the register that day! On my way back I saw 4 more heading up and they were up from one of the Bolam routes.
When I started there were many bats circling me around the headlight eating insects that attracted the light.

geocaching

Great trail and challenging! I personally have been up Whitney twice, Half Dome, and Rainier. Mt Shasta Clear Creek trail was a nice mix of hiking, climbing, and mountaineering (depending on the time of year). This year, there was an abnormal amount of snow because of a crazy winter in California. We started out at 4:00 PM at the trail head on 7/13/2017. We took our time and took in the scenery. We anticipated hiking to the stream crossing that we read about... It was no where to be seen. Apparently, when theres tons of snow still, the stream is hidden. So, we found a nice place and camped for the night. The next morning, we were going to take our time again and slow hike up to around 11,000 feet to bivy. We had a few hang ups... First, we had to melt snow for water, which took a couple of hours. Next... the hike was extremely slow because we couldn't find the trail due to the snow. So we were all over the face of the mountain, putting on crampons, taking them off, putting them back on, etc. A few hours later after trying to find the hidden paths, we found our 11,000 ft camping spot for the night and it was gorgeous. The next morning, we were going to summit and then head back to the truck, however, due to some of the difficulty we had in finding the path, our anticipated hours of searching the following day, and our unfamiliar relationship with Shasta, we opted to not summit. So we melted more snow for a couple of hours for water on the way down the next day. Overall, it was a great experience! We are novice mountaineers, so it was fun testing out some new gear and finding our way around the mountain (safely), testing our own skills. Also, the entire trip (Thursday through Saturday) we saw 3 people on the mountain. We will go back with a more detailed trail map and the full version of "All Trails" lol.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Loved this climb. Shasta is thousands of feet taller than anything in the vicinity so it's almost as if you're looking out of an airplane window, down at the rest of the world. Very peaceful, stark and beautiful. Be prepared to work for it, it was a 15 hour day for our group to summit, break down camp and get to the car before we were chased out by a thunderstorm.