Clark’s Grade to Big Bear is a 17.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and ohv/off road driving and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 17.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,392 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

A great alternative route to Big Bear during non-snow season. If you are going up the trail, small sections require four wheel drive. Coming down could be done with two wheel drive in a vehicle with good clearance. Dual sport motorcycles will find it a breeze.

ohv/off road driving

Basically a rocky fire road not challenging for my 2 door Rubicon Recon. I didn’t need 4WD but used it to smooth out the ride a bit and keep the boss happier. The main focus was trying to pick the best line for the smoothest ride so my wife wouldn’t throw me out the door. Very little traffic, 3 motorcycles. It is a scenic and enjoyable route to Big Bear. We enjoyed the ride and scenery.

ohv/off road driving

Not a "hiking trail". A VERY busy road with trucks, jeeps, and dirt bikes. A few mountain bikers. Many drivers here are wreckless and don't usually slow down for others. Will lead to the Santa Ana River Trail.

A lot of fun!!

CLOSED!

ohv/off road driving

Trail was open today for us. Beautiful views the entire way. We used 4x4 only twice and like other people have said, you’ll need some clearance in a couple of spots.

ohv/off road driving

Some ground clearance is needed, and a narrow track width is a must unless you want some pinstriping in the narrow parts. Pretty easy trail with nice views going down and then back up to Big Bear. Only needed to use 4x4 twice. Once was a pretty rutted part right after a hairpin turn when starting to go up the mountain to Big Bear. There are ruts and some small medium rocks that need some clearance but 2Hi is fine for those parts. Wife was asleep for most of the trip if that helps put the difficulty into scale for you.

ohv/off road driving

Trail open on Labor Day 19. Went up it in a stock '89 4runner with bald 32s. Bumpy ride but only put it in 4x4 once. Do not attempt in a Subi, easy trail but you need ground clearance.

ohv/off road driving

8/31/2019 Drove this up to Big Bear in a stock JLUR, and found it to be mostly easy. I am a newbie and found a couple of areas that I had to think about my placement. No marks left to the undercarriage of my Jeep. As you get to the top, great places to stop and eat and enjoy.

ohv/off road driving

(7-4-19) Trail is open, gates are open. You can access off 38, just past AO, drop down to Seven Oaks, and take it up. Trail is moderate. Couple 4x sections here and there. Gets really rocky, small rocks. Lifted and 4x (Cpl sections) recommended. Plz dont try and take your Subaru up this, or down. Good luck, have fun.

Fri Apr 19 2019

road is completely washed out about 3 miles from 1N09 split.

closed
Sun Jan 27 2019

The entrance off 38 is closed but there’s a way to get to it from 7 pines rd, although it is closed a farther up the trail. Alternately you can take the trail down to slide lake which is great.

Mon Nov 26 2018

Amazing trail! Fairly easy for the most part, a few hairpins require some bit of skill. was able to complete this trail in a stock 2018 double cab off road edition with very little problems. would not recommend anything longer than a 5" bed.

Mon Nov 05 2018

This was technically our first trip up to big bear with using Clark’s grade. Very fun. And although marked easy, there are a couple of spots that are challenging. The people you encounter on the trail are so friendly. great for a beginner, Like myself. 2015 stock forester xl.

Sat Oct 06 2018

great way up to big bear. we were doing AAT service, some spots were badly eroded and need some backfill

Tue Feb 13 2018

Gates locked a couple miles in

Sun Dec 31 2017

This trail was really fun alternative way to get down the mountain! I would say 95% of the trail is easy, but there is one part about half way down that I would rate as hard. It is a very small section but can be hazardous if you don’t know what you are doing. I’m in a ‘06 4Runner 4x4 with a mild lift and good all terrain tires and I got sideways and began to tip. There isn’t really a way around this obstacle as it is at a tight hairpin turn at a fairly steep angle. 3 Jeeps made it down before me and they all took it very slow. I have only gone down this trail and not up so I’m not sure how difficult it is going up but I would imagine it would be challenging as well.

Wed Dec 20 2017

Made this trail going up to Big Bear. Some parts are very rocky and it makes for slow going. I had a trail GPS and luckily it corrected some wrong turns that I made. I thought that the views were limited due to high walls and very thick bushes/tress.

Mon Nov 27 2017

Very fun way to come down from big bear. Very scenic and takes around 2 hours. Not that many people on trail.

Sun Nov 19 2017

We love taking this trail to and from Big Bear! It's loaded with great views, if you are going up the trail, small sections require four wheel drive. Coming down could be done with two wheel drive in a vehicle with good clearance. We've never tried it during the snow season, but I'm guessing it's closed then. Skip the highway and enjoy the views. If you were trekking or hiking it would be a long, but easily doable trek.

Fri May 17 2019